Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2024)

Old Mar 19, 2024, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2024)

Old Mar 1, 2024, 2:16 am

Feb. 29, 2024: UA 60 SFO-MEL

Flight returned to gate after aborted landing takeoff because of an issue with a generator. Tech operations staff came on board, but could not solve the issue.

Pilot announced the flight was canceled at 0:55.

We were able to leave the aircraft at 1:15. Meal and hotel vouchers were sent through the UA app.

March 2, 2024: UA 61 MEL-SFO canceled because of inbound flight cancellation

Last edited by Wyfind; Mar 1, 2024 at 11:42 pm
Old Mar 1, 2024, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Wyfind

Flight returned to gate after aborted landing because of an issue with a generator. Tech operations staff came on board, but could not solve the issue.

Pilot announced the flight was canceled at 0:55.

We were able to leave the aircraft at 1:15. Meal and hotel vouchers were sent through the UA app.

March 2, 2024: UA 61 MEL-SFO canceled because of inbound flight cancellation
my wife was on that flight too. Complete meltdown at SFO apparently. Really poor showing from UA. She called in (as she was told) and they said 'the flight is not cancelled - we can't help you'. Took apparently forever to mark the flight as cancelled by UA.
No hotel/meal vouchers in the app at all. She had to wait 2 hours to get to the counter where they told her, fat chance to get to Australia in business until March 4. They rebooked her in coach ...
Got to the hotel by 4 a.m. - line at check-in. At least AC by Marriott is a decent hotel in my books.

So here I am waking up to text messages this morning. Spend 75 mins on the phone with UA incl. a disconnected call and needing a supervisor in the end. Now re-booked for today on the LAST seat SFO-AKL-SYD-ADL.

This should NOT be that difficult when it is (yet another) controllable issue from UA. Really disappointed how UA treats Polaris passengers and status pax - at least this morning on the phone I got sensible agents who understood that 'controllable issue' (she said ... let me check .. controllable) allow OAL rebooking.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 8:15 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
my wife was on that flight too. Complete meltdown at SFO apparently. Really poor showing from UA. She called in (as she was told) and they said 'the flight is not cancelled - we can't help you'. Took apparently forever to mark the flight as cancelled by UA.
No hotel/meal vouchers in the app at all. She had to wait 2 hours to get to the counter where they told her, fat chance to get to Australia in business until March 4. They rebooked her in coach ...
Got to the hotel by 4 a.m. - line at check-in. At least AC by Marriott is a decent hotel in my books.

So here I am waking up to text messages this morning. Spend 75 mins on the phone with UA incl. a disconnected call and needing a supervisor in the end. Now re-booked for today on the LAST seat SFO-AKL-SYD-ADL.

This should NOT be that difficult when it is (yet another) controllable issue from UA. Really disappointed how UA treats Polaris passengers and status pax - at least this morning on the phone I got sensible agents who understood that 'controllable issue' (she said ... let me check .. controllable) allow OAL rebooking.
Which class is your wife rebooked in? Business or coach?
Old Mar 1, 2024, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Which class is your wife rebooked in? Business or coach?
Business of course. All the way. Full J (C on NZ) for SFO-AKL-SYD-ADL. Didn't have to fight too much once they realized they are looking at a 'controllable' problem.

The initial rebooking at the airport was in whY ... but that I got fixed!!!

SFO-SYD J1 became available while she waited in the Polaris lounge and they rebooked her. The ADL segment is still on the old ticket, so well see how that goes. United cares offers $650 ETC which is not bad, but Ill see if 1KVoice will offer more once she finally arrives

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 1, 2024 at 7:08 pm Reason: merged consecutive / update posts by same member
Old Mar 1, 2024, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wyfind

Flight returned to gate after aborted landing because of an issue with a generator. Tech operations staff came on board, but could not solve the issue.
So, flight took off and the had to abort landing upon returning to SFO?
Or was it an aborted take-off?

(just trying to understand)
Old Mar 1, 2024, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
So, flight took off and the had to abort landing upon returning to SFO?
Or was it an aborted take-off?

(just trying to understand)
Sorry, I meant aborted takeoff.
cesco.g and juergenor like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

UA3 ORD-ZRH 763 cancelled due to maintenance. Return UA12 on 2/3 cancelled.
UA838 NRT-SFO 772 cancelled due to maintenance
UA938 ORD-LHR 763 cancelled due to maintenance
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by sonyeoshin; Mar 2, 2024 at 11:55 pm
Old Mar 3, 2024, 10:16 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
How were folks accommodated? Via Japan or back to SFO?
My friend who was on this flight told me that they could either take another same day flight on a different carrier or wait for a replacement plane to come in the following day. Many people took the former option while my friend took the latter option, a day in HNL and overnight at the Princess Kapiolani. Next day, as a lowly MM (Premier Gold), he got bumped up to C but they didn't have the full International Polaris Service; just domestic food (!).
Old Mar 3, 2024, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

UA130 HND-EWR 772 diverted to SFO due to maintenance. SFO-EWR leg cancelled.
UA938 ORD-LHR 763 cancelled due to maintenance
UA943 LIS-IAD 764 cancelled due to maintenance
UA959 LHR-ORD 763 cancelled due to maintenance. The same flight is cancelled tomorrow also due to maintenance.
UA987 ORD-CDG 763 cancelled due to "unexpected operational issue". Return UA986 CDG-ORD on 3/4 cancelled.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

UA957 GVA-EWR 763 cancelled due to maintenance.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Cancelled on 3/5:

UA829 SFO-SYD 772 cancelled due to maintenance. Return UA870 on 3/7 cancelled.
UA860 GRU-IAD 764 cancelled due to maintenance
UA885 FCO-IAD 764 cancelled due to maintenance
UA940 EWR-LHR 763 cancelled due to "crew-related scheduling disruption"
Old Mar 6, 2024, 1:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by sonyeoshin
UA130 HND-EWR 772 diverted to SFO due to maintenance. SFO-EWR leg cancelled.

Wow, that's brutal...for anyone sitting in Polaris. 😶
Old Mar 6, 2024, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by narvik
Wow, that's brutal...for anyone sitting in Polaris. 😶
given day-off there's rarely more than 2-3 seats in Polaris total left on that route it's gonna be go in coach or don't go for most of them....yuck
Old Mar 6, 2024, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

In addition to cancelled FRA/MUC bound flights today (all FRA flights, as well as UA108 and UA194), UA883 LHR-EWR 763 was cancelled due to maintenance.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

UA128 GIG-IAH 763 cancelled due to maintenance

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.