Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:26 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz
Original Poster

For reference, here is the 2012/3 megathread:

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2012/13)

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Old Jan 1, 2014, 12:37 am

Programs: AC SE, AMEX Plat, Marriott Gold, NEXUS/GE
Cancelled flights d/t cold?

UA cancelled flights to YWG due to extreme cold today.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1055467/united-airlines-cancels-flights-into-winnipeg-due-to-cold/

Is this for real? What is special about the United planes that they can't fly in super cold weather?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 12:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cavitron
.... What is special about the United planes that they can't fly in super cold weather?
already discussed in another thread, but -40C/F is the lowest temp for which the aircraft is certified for flight (the Canadian Regional Jets, seems appropriate)

see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2012-13-a.html -- see post 1608 and later
Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:54 am

UA877 returned to the gate yesterday. Was it already in flight?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:39 am

Unexplained Flight Delay on my NRT-SIN flight on UA

I took UA#803 from Narita to Singapore on Dec28,2013. The scheduled departure time was 17:35. After they closed the door,they showed the safety video while we were still at the gate.I thought the plane would leave the gate though it still there for 30 minutes. No explanation was made the captain nor the cabin crew. After leaving the gate,it took another 30 minutes to take off. Still no announcement about the delay. We were finally at airborne for almost 1 hour late.The captain and the cabin crew announced the flying time and safety though never mentioned what caused the delay nor the plane got delayed.
They were as if we were on schedule. We arrived at Singapore after 50 minute behind the original shedule. The captain nor any cabin crew mentioned about the delay. Is the delay within 1 hour not counted as delay on United ?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 5, 2014 at 8:06 am Reason: retitled thread
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: AADULtArer
A one hour delay on an international leg is common and not of too much interest to either the flying public or most members of this forum, IMHO.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
A one hour delay on an international leg is common and not of too much interest to either the flying public or most members of this forum, IMHO.
I disagree with you here. If I sat on the ground at the gate for 1/2 hr after closing the door and showing the safety video w/o any announcement I'd not be pleased either. The captain (or crew) should have made an announcement and it is also common to apologize for a 50 minute arrival delay even if it was uncontrollable.
Poor in-flight service level IMO; a 50 minute arrival delay itself is not too big of a deal, however, I think pax should be kept in the loop.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wanko18
Is the delay within 1 hour not counted as delay on United ?
IATA standard (I believe that's who's standard it is) for delays is that a plane arriving within 14 minutes of scheduled arrival time is on time. a 50 minute delay is a delay. Whether the crew makes an announcement about it or not, it is a delay, take from it what you will.

I agree with cfischer that an explanation is warranted with a 30 minute delayed pushback and a 30 minute wait for takeoff. Though I've been in similar situations where its not announced at all, or until after take off. Usually, either after take off, or on arrival, or most often, both, the captain comes on with a very brief explanation and apologizes for the delay. On the other side, it could have been a situation where the captain/crew thought they were going to be departing fairly imminently and not worthy of an announcement, and for whatever reason, it took longer than they thought. Again, they could have made an announcement even if this was the case.

I also agree with lessorsailer in that an hour delay is pretty minor considering. Whether it was a delay in getting paperwork, bag loading, weather, etc. in the end, 50 minutes is 50 minutes. No big deal. Happens every day on every airline. I'd easily take that delay today over trying to be getting practically anywhere within the US in the next couple of days.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; former GS
A 50 minute delay is of interest to me if I have a relatively tight connection. I usually build in enough time to survive an hour delay, but I would often be getting a bit anxious.

Knowing why the delay occurred will not get me there any quicker, but I would be interested in hearing the reason/excuse.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
I am guessing that the issue concerning the OP is the observation that the communication was poor. I have been fortunate in these situations; I can only think of a couple of times when the pilot or first officer didn't inform the cabin of the status.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I also agree with lessorsailer in that an hour delay is pretty minor considering.
I guess LaserSailor got a demotion, huh?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

next time, take the train. they run on time. and yes i saw where he was going.

dec 28 was the sat after christmas, and the chinese are on the warpath. lucky you got there at all.

by the way welcome to FT, where no slight is to small not to deserve a negative comment.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Maybe its common on UA... All the Delta flights I've taken from NRT never resulted in a 1 hour delay
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
A totally unexplained one-hour delay is only unremarkable if you have very low expectations of your airline.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
The last time I flew NRT-SIN on UA, in late 2012, the flight was delayed 50 minutes as well. No announcements, apologies; no nothing. The flight deck only uttered one word into the PA microphone during the whole flight: "Seatbelts" was said during turbulence, and before landing. Not another word!

When I a UA flight was delayed 3.5 hours in ORD in October 2013, I was told at the United Club that any delay under 4 hours is considered 'normal' at United, meaning that no re-accommodation or other assistance is provided.

Adjust your expectations accordingly.

Last edited by transportprof; Jan 5, 2014 at 10:15 am
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
+1.

Much ado about nothing. And no my expectations aren't low. Unlike many on these boards, I had a very pleasant experience aboard UA in 2013 as did most of my GS colleagues. With int'l flights, there are often delays of under an hour and I never book a tight int'l connection on any airline to afford some cushion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.