Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2024)

Old Mar 19, 2024, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2024)

Old Feb 27, 2024, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ajggiant
I have a relative on this flight. Reported an engine issue soon after takeoff. Looks like theyve assigned N787UA, which came in yesterday from BCN, to this flight, departing 5:30 today.
​​​​​​Thanks for the additional info. Hope the new aircraft gets underway on time.

And with the delay, UA876 (HND-SFO) tomorrow is already delayed by 4.5 hrs, which utilizes the IAD-HND aircraft.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Repooc17
​​​​​​Thanks for the additional info. Hope the new aircraft gets underway on time.

And with the delay, UA876 (HND-SFO) tomorrow is already delayed by 4.5 hrs, which utilizes the IAD-HND aircraft.
Uh Oh, what's going on. The replacement flight departed 5:41 pm and now appears to be circling and descending back to IAD. Does lightning strike twice?!?
Old Feb 27, 2024, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Uh Oh, what's going on. The replacement flight departed 5:41 pm and now appears to be circling and descending back to IAD. Does lightning strike twice?!?
I was just looking at it. What is going on, seriously?

FlightAware has the aircraft circling around; FR24 has the aircraft on the ground taxiing, United has a new posted departure time of 708pm.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
I was just looking at it. What is going on, seriously?

FlightAware has the aircraft circling around; FR24 has the aircraft on the ground taxiing, United has a new posted departure time of 708pm.
Another technical issue perhaps? That is what UA website is saying, although not sure if it applies to N787UA too. What a bad day to be on UA803.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:02 pm

Programs: United 1K Member
UA876 is now cancelled (HND-SFO)

UA803 is also now cancelled

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 27, 2024 at 7:56 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 27, 2024, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

UA819 IAH-EZE 772 cancelled due to Buenos Aires ground handling strike. Return UA818 on 2/28 cancelled.
UA885 FCO-IAD 772 cancelled due to crew time out.
UA905 LHR-IAH 772 cancelled due to "crew related disruption".
UA944 ORD-FRA 78X cancelled due to Germany ground handling strike. Return UA945 cancelled.
UA989 IAD-FRA 77W cancelled due to Germany ground handling strike. Return UA988 cancelled.

Last edited by sonyeoshin; Feb 27, 2024 at 10:11 pm
Old Feb 27, 2024, 9:48 pm

Programs: United 1K Member
How do you find out of these? Do you just go flightradar24 and check each of United hubs?
Old Feb 27, 2024, 10:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UAflyerwhoflystomuch
How do you find out of these? Do you just go flightradar24 and check each of United hubs?
A couple of sites provide this info, such as https://www.flightaware.com/live/fleet/UAL/cancelled and UA or other sites provides the reason.

Not sure of the value replicating here
Old Feb 28, 2024, 12:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A couple of sites provide this info, such as https://www.flightaware.com/live/fleet/UAL/cancelled and UA or other sites provides the reason.

Not sure of the value replicating here
As much as I like and use flightaware, I've always found this thread to be useful.
CJ99 and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 12:35 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
As much as I like and use flightaware, I've always found this thread to be useful.
Wasn't suggesting the thread wasn't useful, but rather thinking out loud what kind of content is the most use to the community.

-- An exhaustive list each day of international cancelled flights? (and corresponding domestic thread)
-- A listing of flights showing a pattern --maintenance, crew, weather, consecutive days, ...
-- flight cancellations that a member was impacted by
-- No criteria, whatever folks want to post, no requirement threads have a deep meaning

Curious what the community would like to see.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 3:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Wasn't suggesting the thread wasn't useful, but rather thinking out loud what kind of content is the most use to the community.

-- An exhaustive list each day of international cancelled flights? (and corresponding domestic thread)
-- A listing of flights showing a pattern --maintenance, crew, weather, consecutive days, ...
-- flight cancellations that a member was impacted by
-- No criteria, whatever folks want to post, no requirement threads have a deep meaning

Curious what the community would like to see.
Got it, thanks. I would appreciate the daily list. The pattern idea is great, but I suspect it would be a difficult measure to compile.
CJ99 and sonyeoshin like this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
I rarely allow my husband and son to travel alone because they both have disabilities and dont travel well but I gambled and lost on UA147 LHR to EWR yesterday

Dumped fuel over the Irish Sea and back to London. 3:45h delay or so.

But I think it must then, last time I tried this their AA plane clipped another as it was pulled back from the gate..

Ill let the community know the next time I have to try this

(zero status, Polaris they were give $500 ETC and presumably the lower amount of UK/261 when I get round to it)
Old Feb 28, 2024, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

I post these as I think they are useful data. I think the route, aircraft type, and reason for cancellation is important as it shows a bit of how a route or aircraft type is doing. For instance, I've noticed more 787 cancellations due to maintenance, which I find a bit concerning. In addition, these can be useful for travelers that are about to fly on a certain flight, or know someone on a flight. Sites like Flightaware or Flightradar24 are very helpful, but they only show limited data unless you want to pay for a subscription.

Today's cancelled flights apart from those mentioned earlier:
UA83 DEL-EWR 789 cancelled due to maintenance
UA860 GRU-IAD 764 cancelled due to maintenance
UA887 LIM-EWR 752 just cancelled due to "crew related scheduling disruption"

Last edited by sonyeoshin; Feb 29, 2024 at 1:38 am
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:35 am

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sonyeoshin
Another technical issue perhaps? That is what UA website is saying, although not sure if it applies to N787UA too. What a bad day to be on UA803.
I was on both UA803 flights on Tuesday. The original flight was scheduled to depart at 12:30. On takeoff the crew got a low oil pressure warning that led them to shut down the right engine. (I confirmed this through an airline friend who spoke to the Capt). We dumped fuel during the hold near IAD and returned for a single engine landing. I took an interesting picture of the left engine running with the fuel streaming out of the wingtip. When we landed, we were met by CFR who did a visual inspection of the aircraft just off the active runway, and then we taxied to the gate. The flight was rescheduled for 5:30 pm departure.

The second flight had a temperature exceedance on takeoff, and the Capt made a similar announcement about having an engine issue. We made a precautionary landing back at IAD but without the gross weight adjustment. Since we landed heavy, we were met by CFR for a second time in one day. Initially, United texted me that my flight would depart at 7pm from a nearby gate, but by the time we deplaned UA803 was cancelled for the day.

We were all put up in local hotels for the night. I flew an alternate route the following day (2/28). Talking with other passengers on the shuttle to the hotel, many of us thought the second Capt was joking when he first announced the engine issue, but it quickly became clear that he wasn't.

Kudos to both crews for safe operations!
Old Feb 29, 2024, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nihon_Ni
I was on both UA803 flights on Tuesday. The original flight was scheduled to depart at 12:30. On takeoff the crew got a low oil pressure warning that led them to shut down the right engine. (I confirmed this through an airline friend who spoke to the Capt). We dumped fuel during the hold near IAD and returned for a single engine landing. I took an interesting picture of the left engine running with the fuel streaming out of the wingtip. When we landed, we were met by CFR who did a visual inspection of the aircraft just off the active runway, and then we taxied to the gate. The flight was rescheduled for 5:30 pm departure.

img

The second flight had a temperature exceedance on takeoff, and the Capt made a similar announcement about having an engine issue. We made a precautionary landing back at IAD but without the gross weight adjustment. Since we landed heavy, we were met by CFR for a second time in one day. Initially, United texted me that my flight would depart at 7pm from a nearby gate, but by the time we deplaned UA803 was cancelled for the day.

img

We were all put up in local hotels for the night. I flew an alternate route the following day (2/28). Talking with other passengers on the shuttle to the hotel, many of us thought the second Capt was joking when he first announced the engine issue, but it quickly became clear that he wasn't.

Kudos to both crews for safe operations!
Thanks for explaining what happened. Very unfortunate that both aircraft had technical issues, but glad that the crew were able to make sure everyone was safe. I noticed most Tokyo flights were completely full on Wednesday.

UA2222 IAD-CPT 789 cancelled due to maintenance. Return UA2223 CPT-IAD on 3/1 cancelled too.

Last edited by sonyeoshin; Feb 29, 2024 at 9:24 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.