Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2024)

Old Mar 19, 2024, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2024)

Old Feb 19, 2024, 5:38 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Because at the end of the day the US airlines do what is best for revenue management (not total number of pax affected lol)
But wasn't this branch of the thread about airlines cancelling flights with low bookings?

Which is it? Are they cancelling the flight with very low booking or are they cancelling the flight which is most advantageous to them? Why are those any different to any significant extent?

What I see, from the inside, is they swap available resources around to protect as much of the operation as possible. It's not always just the passenger count as some passengers are a lot harder to re-route than others. Passengers making a connection to a once-per-day long-haul flight will carry more weight than passengers who have multiple re-route options that same day.

In general, though, the cancelled flight tends to be one with fewer bookings. That is better for the passengers (fewer inconvenienced) and better for the airline (fewer displaced passengers who might cancel for refunds or require other compensation). You have to look beyond just the first cancelled flight, though, as that cancellation may create additional cancellation(s) due to the airplane not completing the first cancelled flight. They're looking at the bigger picture, not just that first flight. That lightly booked airplane may have a return flight that is fully booked with many international connections. We can't see that full picture sitting at the gate (or in the cockpit).
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by LarryJ
In general, though, the cancelled flight tends to be one with fewer bookings. That is better for the passengers (fewer inconvenienced) and better for the airline (fewer displaced passengers who might cancel for refunds or require other compensation). You have to look beyond just the first cancelled flight, though, as that cancellation may create additional cancellation(s) due to the airplane not completing the first cancelled flight. They're looking at the bigger picture, not just that first flight. That lightly booked airplane may have a return flight that is fully booked with many international connections. We can't see that full picture sitting at the gate (or in the cockpit).
Totally agree -- which was my point -- the front line team members such as yourself I truly believe care about the people -- the bean counters in the bunker in Chicago I am ore weary of -- they are looking to maximize UA revenue and profit -- not maximize pax delivered - and that is their right of course! Often they MAY be the same -- but more often than not they will err on the side of finance optimization -- which is, in part, why the EU ultimately took some action.... I often wonder if US airline behavior would change if there were more consequences -- it didn't seem to change airline behavior in the EU....

Regardless -- we've taken too much time on this rathole -- back to cancellations!
Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Flights cancelled due to Germany airport ground staff strikes

UA907 ORD-FRA 78X
UA932 IAD-FRA 772
UA953 ORD-MUC 78X

Return flights cancelled too
Old Feb 21, 2024, 1:23 am
Original Poster

UA98 LAX-MEL 789 on 2/20 was cancelled due to maintenance. Return UA99 scheduled 2/22 cancelled.
UA99 cancelled 2 days in a row, today and tomorrow. Today's cancellation was also due to maintenance, tomorrow's cancellation was due to outbound cancellation as mentioned above.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sonyeoshin
UA98 LAX-MEL 789 on 2/20 was cancelled due to maintenance. Return UA99 scheduled 2/22 cancelled.
UA99 cancelled 2 days in a row, today and tomorrow. Today's cancellation was also due to maintenance, tomorrow's cancellation was due to outbound cancellation as mentioned above.
Given how light the loads are on SFO-MEL route as well as SFO-SYD, passengers were probably easily accommodated albeit with extra connection(s).
Old Feb 21, 2024, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

UA55 CDG-EWR 764 cancelled maintenance
UA613 LOS-IAD 788 cancelled maintenance
Old Feb 22, 2024, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

More 787 maintenance cancellations!

UA952 MUC-ORD 78X cancelled maintenance
Old Feb 23, 2024, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

UA951 BRU-IAD 77W cancelled maintenance
Old Feb 24, 2024, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA *G, Bonvoy Gold, HH Silver
UA846 SCL-IAH canceled today (02/24) for "unexpected operational issue". But it looks like the inbound aircraft (UA847 IAH-SCL) arrived successfully. I received the cancellation email from UA ~35 min before UA847 landed in SCL. Any insights into why UA canceled this one?
Old Feb 24, 2024, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stick
UA846 SCL-IAH canceled today (02/24) for "unexpected operational issue". But it looks like the inbound aircraft (UA847 IAH-SCL) arrived successfully. I received the cancellation email from UA ~35 min before UA847 landed in SCL. Any insights into why UA canceled this one?
Based on Flightaradar24 data UA846 on 2/23 and 2/24 were both supposed to be operated by N643UA which suffered a technical issue at SCL. I'm guessing they tried to use the same A/C that failed yesterday again and it didn't work. UA3020 is doing SCL-IAH today using the same plane that arrived successfully yesterday. (N648UA)
Old Feb 25, 2024, 1:23 am
Original Poster

UA188 EWR-JNB 789 scheduled 2/24 just cancelled due to maintenance. Return UA187 today cancelled.
UA855 LIM-IAH 763 cancelled today due to crew time out.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 6:34 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Colleagues on this one:

Old Feb 26, 2024, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

UA14 EWR-LHR 763 returned to EWR. Then cancelled due to a "crew scheduling issue".
Return UA905 LHR-EWR cancelled as a result.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Feb 27 UA803 IAD-HND returned to IAD due to technical issue. Affected aircraft: N788UA (772).

Looks like UA will assign a new aircraft for the journey. Might be a while.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Feb 27 UA803 IAD-HND returned to IAD due to technical issue. Affected aircraft: N788UA (772).

Looks like UA will assign a new aircraft for the journey. Might be a while.
I have a relative on this flight. Reported an engine issue soon after takeoff. Looks like theyve assigned N787UA, which came in yesterday from BCN, to this flight, departing 5:30 today.
ContinentalFan and Repooc17 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.