Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA-partner Business Awards 60K multiple destinations,BKK,KUL,HKG,CGK,MNL, .. changes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA-partner Business Awards 60K multiple destinations,BKK,KUL,HKG,CGK,MNL, .. changes?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2022, 9:41 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
I made a MP award booking MID-IAH-MUC-BKK for January 2023 when the 60k "mistake" tickets were offered. Apparently, UA just canceled the IAH-MUC non-stop (Expert Flyer still shows it, so I'm guessing this is a recent schedule change) and they rebooked me MID-IAH-ORD-MUC-BKK with a 47 minute ORD connection.

I'd really like to avoid ORD in the winter, and there is a IAH-FRA-BKK connection (UA-TG, same carriers as connection via MUC) the same day with JN/I space available. Will they change the routing on an award ticket for a canceled UA segment?
Old Sep 3, 2022, 10:17 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wpcoe
I made a MP award booking MID-IAH-MUC-BKK for January 2023 when the 60k "mistake" tickets were offered. Apparently, UA just canceled the IAH-MUC non-stop (Expert Flyer still shows it, so I'm guessing this is a recent schedule change) and they rebooked me MID-IAH-ORD-MUC-BKK with a 47 minute ORD connection.

I'd really like to avoid ORD in the winter, and there is a IAH-FRA-BKK connection (UA-TG, same carriers as connection via MUC) the same day with JN/I space available. Will they change the routing on an award ticket for a canceled UA segment?
If the partner flight flight has availability, yes
Old Sep 3, 2022, 10:56 am
formerly 1984SW

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If the partner flight flight has availability, yes
Guess again. I had forgotten about the usually highly-recommended UA Twitter team, so I sent them a tweet including the desired flights:

and from Expert Flyer:

Doesn't Expert Flyer scrape the Star Alliance award availability from the UA reservations system?
Old Sep 3, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Doesn't Expert Flyer scrape the Star Alliance award availability from the UA reservations system?
Doubtful UA/EF given past interactions, I space is available in GDS systems

However, TG award inventory has long been known to be "variable"

Give a phone agent a try

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 3, 2022 at 11:35 am
Old Sep 3, 2022, 11:36 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Interesting!
I have Thai Smile for BKK-HKT round trip in premium economy and United has not called me yet about dropping/changing the flights. BKK-HKT was originally on Thai’s B777. HKT-BKK was added due to cancellation of HKT-ARN.
Just posted too early. I just received a call from United. I dropped BKK-HKT, but changed return to HKT-SIN-SFO-EWR-ORF. The agent was very nice. I extended my stay for an extra day in Phuket.
Flying Machine and JetSetDave like this.

Last edited by Kmxu; Sep 3, 2022 at 11:52 am
Old Sep 3, 2022, 11:58 am
formerly 1984SW

Give a phone agent a try
I called 3x this morning and each time the call dropped, so that's when I tried Twitter. I'm in Merida, Mexico and the AT&T service here is a bit spotty. Maybe I'll try calling later this afternoon and see if the phone connections are better.

[edited to add:]
As Plan B I asked them to put me on an earlier IAH-ORD flight to give more of a cushion in case of ORD January weather issues, and they did. 👍

When viewing the reservation on united.com there is still a banner at the top saying to have the ticket reissued, so I asked them to double-check that the ticket was reissued to show the new routing via ORD.

Last edited by wpcoe; Sep 3, 2022 at 12:05 pm
Old Sep 3, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I called 3x this morning and each time the call dropped, so that's when I tried Twitter. I'm in Merida, Mexico and the AT&T service here is a bit spotty. Maybe I'll try calling later this afternoon and see if the phone connections are better.
Use Skype, it’s free.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 12:30 pm
formerly 1984SW

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Use Skype, it’s free.
Whole 'nother kettle of fish! My US-based Skype account cannot be accessed here in Mexico to make calls, for some reason. It's been escalated to the next level of Skype tech support.
dinoscool3 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 6:43 am

JN rebooked with “confirmed” on UA flights

After a UA agent called me to make change for the mistake JN ticket , I got rebooking on I space on SQ and I spaces on UA with “confirmed” below seat assignment on reservation. What magic did the agent use to confirm me on I instead of JN? I expected to be rebooked on I (SQ) and JN on UA flights. The “confirmed” implied that I used some instruments to get the UA business seats. Any explanation on this?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 4, 2022 at 11:27 am Reason: cleanup after move
Old Sep 4, 2022, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by gokeeper
download tg app, add your reservation, then there will be link to 'add service' under 'my trips'
This trick seems not working anymore?
Any other options?
Old Sep 4, 2022, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by dmark1021
This trick seems not working anymore?
Any other options?
Go to SAS website to select TG seats😄😄
TG Business Class Seat Selection
dmark1021 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 11:30 am

After a UA agent called me to make change for the mistake JN ticket , I got rebooking on I space on SQ and I spaces on UA with “confirmed” below seat assignment on reservation. What magic did the agent use to confirm me on I instead of JN? I expected to be rebooked on I (SQ) and JN on UA flights. The “confirmed” implied that I used some instruments to get the UA business seats. Any explanation on this?
Instrument space would have been PN/PZ.
Supervisors can open award space for schedule change, appears they decide to open I instead of using JN.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 3:12 pm

currently on the way back from wlg-syd-sfo-ewr. syd-sfo is delayed leaving me with a sub 1 hr connection. most sfo-ewr tomorrow seem to be sold out in front. what can i reasonably expect ua to do when i talk to an agent on the phone or in syd? will they bump other people from J or rebook on OAL just because of the fare class? and because the mileage price is so low, should i expect any refund if we have to travel in y?
Old Sep 4, 2022, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by desafino
currently on the way back from wlg-syd-sfo-ewr. syd-sfo is delayed leaving me with a sub 1 hr connection. most sfo-ewr tomorrow seem to be sold out in front. what can i reasonably expect ua to do when i talk to an agent on the phone or in syd? will they bump other people from J or rebook on OAL just because of the fare class? and because the mileage price is so low, should i expect any refund if we have to travel in y?
First, try to catch your original SFO-EWR flight. Even if you miss it, UA will try to put you in standby for business class on next flight.
Second, check App to see whether or not you can confirm to a later flight if you are 90% sure of misconnection. Typically, there are two seats remaining on some flights. Because of the delay of SYD-SFO (ie, irregular operation), there will be some options available to you (e.g., take a one stop if nonstop is not available).
Good luck!
Old Sep 4, 2022, 6:15 pm

Instrument space would have been PN/PZ.
Supervisors can open award space for schedule change, appears they decide to open I instead of using JN.
Standard procedure is to convert the UA award booking code so it matches the rest of the itinerary. Since it involved business award space on a partner (always "I") it is a "low level" (saver) business award and so the UA booking codes should also be at the "low level" award. Which really means it should have been up into "IN" for a UA flight, so they probably messed up by putting it in "I" instead.

Two options come to mind then for why it says confirmed:
1) Whoever put it in first did it as a waitlist, and then it "confirmed"
2) I think "I" inventory is used to confirm SAUA's on UA. So could very well be the system just recognizes it is an "I" booking code on a UA flight number and thinks it is a confirmed SAUA.
SPN Lifer and Kmxu like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.