Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2022, 4:00 am

I hope I didn't screw up and would just like someone to give me peace of mind. I booked two segments and paid the additional fee for an E+ seat (no status with UA). In less than 24 hours I noticed the prices went down so I cancelled my bookings and my credit card was refunded the E+ upgrade fees and an ETC I had used to make the booking was refunded. With this in hand I immediately proceeded to book at the lower price, used the returned ETC, and the flight is now ticketed.

Looking at my credit card statement though, both charges for each segment have posted (the initial purchase and then the second purchase made after the first was cancelled). Am I just checking my credit card statement too early and the refund hasn't been processed yet? My only concern is since the E+ fee refund has already posted I just hope I didn't double pay and get screwed over.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cerps343
I hope I didn't screw up and would just like someone to give me peace of mind. I booked two segments and paid the additional fee for an E+ seat (no status with UA). In less than 24 hours I noticed the prices went down so I cancelled my bookings and my credit card was refunded the E+ upgrade fees and an ETC I had used to make the booking was refunded. With this in hand I immediately proceeded to book at the lower price, used the returned ETC, and the flight is now ticketed.

Looking at my credit card statement though, both charges for each segment have posted (the initial purchase and then the second purchase made after the first was cancelled). Am I just checking my credit card statement too early and the refund hasn't been processed yet? My only concern is since the E+ fee refund has already posted I just hope I didn't double pay and get screwed over.
Something seems a little mixed up. If you cancelled within 24h, you'd be eligible for a refund (to your credit card) of the purchase. However, you do have to select that actively when cancelling.

If you got an ETC then you're not due a refund to the credit card for the first purchase. The value gets stored in the ETC, which you'll have to use again whenever you make your next booking.

But then for the second purchase there should have been no charge if the ETC was applied. Are you sure you applied it?
Old Mar 4, 2022, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Something seems a little mixed up. If you cancelled within 24h, you'd be eligible for a refund (to your credit card) of the purchase. However, you do have to select that actively when cancelling.

If you got an ETC then you're not due a refund to the credit card for the first purchase. The value gets stored in the ETC, which you'll have to use again whenever you make your next booking.

But then for the second purchase there should have been no charge if the ETC was applied. Are you sure you applied it?
I had an ETC from a previous unrelated trip.
Leg 1 I booked without using my ETC balance, leg 2 I booked with it being partially paid by the ETC and part paid by CC. These were two separate bookings with two separate reservations #s.
<24 hours later I saw prices for both legs went down so I cancelled Leg 1, then rebooked. Then cancelled leg 2, got my ETC balance back, and rebooked leg 2 using the ETC again.

So it seems United recognized I should have gotten a refund and even if the ETC screwed things up, I would have expected to see a refund for leg 1 to my credit card.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cerps343
I had an ETC from a previous unrelated trip.
Leg 1 I booked without using my ETC balance, leg 2 I booked with it being partially paid by the ETC and part paid by CC. These were two separate bookings with two separate reservations #s.
<24 hours later I saw prices for both legs went down so I cancelled Leg 1, then rebooked. Then cancelled leg 2, got my ETC balance back, and rebooked leg 2 using the ETC again.

So it seems United recognized I should have gotten a refund and even if the ETC screwed things up, I would have expected to see a refund for leg 1 to my credit card.
OK, I think you'll get a refund for original booking of leg 1 in a few days, and all the transactions for leg 2 should be squared away in the ETC. My experience recently is that they will post the charge no matter what even if cancelled within 24h, but then a refund will come in about 5-7 days. (Previously they would leave it pending and then just not post if cancelled within 24h.)
Old Mar 4, 2022, 10:21 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Is the question about the E+ Refund, not the ticket refund?

If you change / cancel a reservation, E+ fee will be refund and you will be charged a second E+ access fee. The E+ access fee is not carried over.
The timing of the first E+ fee refund can be a little odd, it may not be for awhile and may not be before the original travel date. Some recent reports it is now coming earlier but it will eventually occur. If not actually refund to the card in a week, call and request a quicker refund.

UA is quite good but sometimes slow with the E+ access fee refund.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Is the question about the E+ Refund, not the ticket refund?

If you change / cancel a reservation, E+ fee will be refund and you will be charged a second E+ access fee. The E+ access fee is not carried over.
The timing of the first E+ fee refund can be a little odd, it may not be for awhile and may not be before the original travel date. Some recent reports it is now coming earlier but it will eventually occur. If not actually refund to the card in a week, call and request a quicker refund.

UA is quite good but sometimes slow with the E+ access fee refund.
No, believe it or not the E+ refund was instant and I got both email confirmation of it and the amount refunded to my card already. It was the fact that that had happened so instantly that gave me pause and made me worry that the ticket itself was not going to get refunded because of some oversight.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 8:55 am

when person A applies his/her plus points to upgrade person B, when upgrade clears Who receives the upgrade notification from UA, person A or B or none?
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UAFAM
when person A applies his/her plus points to upgrade person B, when upgrade clears Who receives the upgrade notification from UA, person A or B or none?
The ticketed passenger should, not the sponsor
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:26 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I upgraded my nephew from FRA to DEN and I received the notification.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Seems a little bit random to me. There is a box when applying the points for choosing the notification email address, but in my experience even if I select the passenger who is not me, I might still get it instead.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Originally Posted by fumje
Seems a little bit random to me. There is a box when applying the points for choosing the notification email address, but in my experience even if I select the passenger who is not me, I might still get it instead.
Interesting, will admit most of my experience is pre-PlusPoints (my 1K days) but the notification went to the passenger -- UA elites and my email was not associated with their account / ticket.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
I am a 1K and just booked an itinerary for 3 people, 2 of whom are not UA members. I chose E+ seating based on my status.

If I split the PNR to have the 2 non-members on one PNR and me on another, will they keep their E+ seats or will they be kicked back to E- seating?
Old Mar 11, 2022, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Brituchenite
If I split the PNR to have the 2 non-members on one PNR and me on another, will they keep their E+ seats or will they be kicked back to E- seating?
If United runs a sweep, they will lose their E+ seating. The further out the flight is, the greater the odds of that happening.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
What's the difference in the lie-flat seats/cabin experience between a 777 and 787 Dreamliner? Have the chance to fly the Dreamliner but the dollar cost of the ticket is very high. So I am not sure if I should use miles to book Y or $+plus points to try and get the lie flat. It's a domestic flight so don't want to buy business class using miles. If there's no big difference, I may just buy a Y award ticket. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by BusinessCasualSport
What's the difference in the lie-flat seats/cabin experience between a 777 and 787 Dreamliner? Have the chance to fly the Dreamliner but the dollar cost of the ticket is very high. So I am not sure if I should use miles to book Y or $+plus points to try and get the lie flat. It's a domestic flight so don't want to buy business class using miles. If there's no big difference, I may just buy a Y award ticket. Thanks in advance.
First you need to provide more specific. There are a few non-polaris seat 787s and some of the non-polaris 777s are returning to service.

Assuming you are talking the polaris seat versions (the vast majority) of 777 and 787s, the differences are small

The F&B service should the same on the same route. Better on SFO/LAX to EWR/JFK.
The 777 polaris seats are a tad wider. Both the seats are pretty similar between 777 and 787
The 787 aircraft are pressurized at a lower elevation and some find that more comfortable

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.