FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]
Old Mar 4, 2022, 8:41 am
fumje
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cerps343
I had an ETC from a previous unrelated trip.
Leg 1 I booked without using my ETC balance, leg 2 I booked with it being partially paid by the ETC and part paid by CC. These were two separate bookings with two separate reservations #s.
<24 hours later I saw prices for both legs went down so I cancelled Leg 1, then rebooked. Then cancelled leg 2, got my ETC balance back, and rebooked leg 2 using the ETC again.

So it seems United recognized I should have gotten a refund and even if the ETC screwed things up, I would have expected to see a refund for leg 1 to my credit card.
OK, I think you'll get a refund for original booking of leg 1 in a few days, and all the transactions for leg 2 should be squared away in the ETC. My experience recently is that they will post the charge no matter what even if cancelled within 24h, but then a refund will come in about 5-7 days. (Previously they would leave it pending and then just not post if cancelled within 24h.)