Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2022, 11:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
UA 2275 SEA-IAD 1326-2120 737-800

Choice of chicken or Italian Ragu. I stupidly assumed Italian Ragu was pasta but no it's polenta. No rolls catered but we got butter pats. Fruit makes for a really weird side to this.

Best part of the meal.
Nice to see that the dessert has been changed out from those mini pie things.
SPN Lifer and tcdtcd like this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Then a hot croissant and yogurt prior to arrival
Got it as well on UA1666 SFO to EWR (I think this is my 4th red-eye on this flight in 2022, and first time getting the arrival breakfast).

I slept well and woke up while the plane was within minutes from landing (on final approach). One FA saw me waking up, and asked if I wanted breakfast...I shoved the entire croissant in my mouth within 5 seconds, and took the yogurt and extra water bottle to go.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
SJU-IAH 6 Feb 1020 am 738 seat 4E

PDB of OJ or water offered. Meal choices were taken pre-departure—choice of “chicken with couscous or cheese manicotti”. I chose the former, seat mate chose the latter. Passenger directly in front of us was the only one whose first choice the crew could not accommodate, and he was loudly unhappy about it, complaining about paying for F and not getting first choice, etc. FA handled it professionally. Post-takeoff, drink orders were taken. No bubbly, we were told, because inbound flight supposedly consumed it all. Is it really the case that UA double-caters IAH-SJU-IAH when incoming aircraft spends the night and sits almost 12 hours on the ground between flights? In any event, seems like catering could have bought a couple of $6 bottles on the ground? Evidently not. Went with white wine instead.

Chicken with couscous turned out to be grilled chicken breast (and a tasty orange sauce) with rice and grilled vegetables. Chicken breast was substantially larger than any pandemic-era Polaris protein I’ve had. Salad on the side (romaine, feta and cranberries with the old Polaris bottle of olive oil and vinegar), cold packaged bread, and a packaged chocolate chip cookie. All was really good! Took a photo of seat mate’s manicotti, which had the same accoutrements.

Is this the new F normal in February? If so, nice to have some new choices! Good crew that kept the drinks flowing.

kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Got it as well on UA1666 SFO to EWR (I think this is my 4th red-eye on this flight in 2022, and first time getting the arrival breakfast).

I slept well and woke up while the plane was within minutes from landing (on final approach). One FA saw me waking up, and asked if I wanted breakfast...I shoved the entire croissant in my mouth within 5 seconds, and took the yogurt and extra water bottle to go.
That's impressive service! Could it be that you just slept through it on the other flights?
Old Feb 6, 2022, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
That's impressive service! Could it be that you just slept through it on the other flights?
Agreed on the impressive service; although I don't think it was SOP - we were well under 10K feet. Anyway, I appreciated it regardless.

I usually can't sleep on planes, even with lie-flat seating, but I was super tired yesterday, and slept for most of last night's redeye

You informed FT about the croissant, and soon after, I asked about it on a January red-eye from SFO, and the FA I inquired didn't know what I was talking about.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Sfo-hnl-sfo 2/5

Breakfast choices were described as egg white kale pastry, croissant sandwich, or a “continental breakfast” (no specifics given, didn’t ask either)

Croissant sandwich seems suspiciously like the economy bistro on board. Still decently tasty though.

Surprised they haven’t switched up the menu in months but the usual chicken katsu or cauliflower croquette.
kirkwoodj and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by st530
PDB of OJ or water offered. Meal choices were taken pre-departure—choice of “chicken with couscous or cheese manicotti”. I chose the former, seat mate chose the latter. Passenger directly in front of us was the only one whose first choice the crew could not accommodate, and he was loudly unhappy about it, complaining about paying for F and not getting first choice, etc. FA handled it professionally. Post-takeoff, drink orders were taken. No bubbly, we were told, because inbound flight supposedly consumed it all. Is it really the case that UA double-caters IAH-SJU-IAH when incoming aircraft spends the night and sits almost 12 hours on the ground between flights? In any event, seems like catering could have bought a couple of $6 bottles on the ground? Evidently not. Went with white wine instead.

Chicken with couscous turned out to be grilled chicken breast (and a tasty orange sauce) with rice and grilled vegetables. Chicken breast was substantially larger than any pandemic-era Polaris protein I’ve had. Salad on the side (romaine, feta and cranberries with the old Polaris bottle of olive oil and vinegar), cold packaged bread, and a packaged chocolate chip cookie. All was really good! Took a photo of seat mate’s manicotti, which had the same accoutrements.

Is this the new F normal in February? If so, nice to have some new choices! Good crew that kept the drinks flowing.

The couscous looks like rice to me in your picture. Was it really couscous?
Old Feb 7, 2022, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seat38a
The couscous looks like rice to me in your picture. Was it really couscous?
Check the description again!

Originally Posted by st530

img
img
seat38a likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Check the description again!
I need another coffee.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA, AS, UA, Amtrak
UA1289 / IAH-SEA / B738
2-7-21

I preordered the waffle. And they delivered. PDB of water or sparkling wine. Had the wine. Meal was good. Friendly service overall. An enjoyable 4h17m.

kirkwoodj and dilanesp like this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I've had similar service on my last 2 flights back from Hawaii. A sample size of 2 is nowhere near statistically significant but my experience with the FAs on United for the past 14 months has been a near-polar opposite to that posted by jaded FTers.
BlueZebra and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 3:27 pm
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
DEN-HNL-GUM & Return Jan-Feb 2022

I don't recall all the food options so I just posted the meals that I ate.

27 Jan UA384 DEN-HNL 1G.

Roll heated, salad partially frozen, chicken was ok, veggies tasted better than they looked.

28 Jan UA201 HNL-GUM 1D.

Thick and pasty

7 Feb UA 200 GUM-HNL 1D

Croissant not heated, french toast was ok. I thought we were done with the fruit cups.....

7 Feb UA 383 HNL-DEN 11A.

Dinner. It was ok.

Breakfast. Croissant not heated. Not the best meal.

Out of 8 meals offered, I had 5. Although these were Polaris equipped 777's, the cabin is considered First Class, not Polaris.
I believe meal service for economy has been restored on the Guam segments but I didn't actually witness it being served.

Seems to me that the Guam & Hawaii based cabin crew were disinterested and were playing games on their phones soon after the meal service. They used to be some of the best when they were CO Micronesia. I did happen to get the same cabin crew to and from Guam!

I have another Guam trip planned for June so we will see if things change.

DEN
MatthewLAX and thejaredhuang like this.

Last edited by DEN; Feb 9, 2022 at 5:27 am Reason: Corrected date
Old Feb 8, 2022, 9:45 pm

Programs: united
The waffle is better than the french toast as far as sugary UA breakfasts go.
MatthewLAX and VWang1111 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but I don't think the food service folks could make those dishes more unappealing if they tried. Or maybe that's their goal. Most of them look repulsive.
The current chicken dish is definitely a bit weird, as is the ragu. The orzo was much better though I think everybody was getting tired of that one.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 12:35 am

Programs: None yet
UA739 SFO-BOS redeye 10:25p - 7:05a

Chicken or vegetable enchilada, chose the latter. Although pre-selection was between chicken and Italian ragu.

bread and nuts were warmed, but no dessert.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.