Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2021, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct 2017
Trans-border flights (Canada, Mexico, ..) for UA and partner flights do not qualify

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. IAD-LHR
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. SFO-IAD-LHR or LHR-IAD-SFO
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. LHR-IAD

Hours - 5:30 AM- 10PM

Related Threads:
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Best *G IAD Lounge for UA flyers

Print Wikipost

IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2021, 8:23 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Polaris customers get Polaris arrival privileges, other *A airline arrivals do not. *A *G airline passengers get United Club access on arrival if they are departing on UA/AC/etc, and UA Gold or better get access basd on int'l itinerary arrival.
Why, that's so breathtakingly simple. 😁
Old Nov 20, 2021, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
From https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../polaris.html:

Remember:

Who can use the United Polaris lounge?

1. Customers traveling in United Polaris business class on long-haul international flights may access the lounge before departure, during connections or upon arrival.
2. Customers traveling in international first or business class cabins on Star Alliance partner airlines may access the lounge only at the airport of their international departure.

Please reference the
Club and Lounge Access page for more information - or, as IAH-OIL-TRASH notes:

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
*A *G airline passengers get United Club access on arrival if they are departing on UA/AC/etc, and UA Gold or better get access based on int'l itinerary arrival.
David
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA CK; UA 1P
11/20 Visit

Visited IAD Polaris today prior to LHR flight. 3 hour visit.

1) showers nice. Some poor craftsmanship with the shower doors not aligned property to close fully. Can be easily fixed.

2) Buffet somewhat lackluster. “Basmati” rice was clearly not basmati. Charcuterie selection decent.

3) bar phenomenal looking and phenomenal cocktails. The maple old fashioned really great. Downside was the friendly bartender wanted to talk about politics which is probably not the best thing to do at IAD given the wide array of senior politicians and policymakers coming in and out.

4) sit down restaurant had nice ambiance. Server was eager and attentive. Burger ordered medium came out over cooked. Fries were crispy and well seasoned. The quinoa samosa cake was a surprise delight. Crispy and well seasoned.

5) seating areas clean and not crowded although I arrived at 6pm after the large bank of Europe flights departed. Was told by staff they had over 200 pax earlier in the afternoon. The famous library seating area a bit overrated as it’s open to the bar/buffet areas.

6) lounge dragon very pleasant. Thanked me for 1k loyalty.

7) the Indvidual unisex bathrooms worked well. Not crowded. Very nicely appointed. Downside was no bench or shelf to put bag in order to change clothes.

8) great visit overall. Three hour visit flew by. Great to have option to eat and skip meal during short hop to LHR.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 7:20 am

Quick confirmation:
flying IAD-YYZ-DXB on AC on a J ticket. Ticket issued by UA.

I assume I am not permitted into the IAD Polaris lounge before IAD-YYZ, since the Star intl flight is not out of IAD and transborder isn’t eligible.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by whlinder
Quick confirmation:
flying IAD-YYZ-DXB on AC on a J ticket. Ticket issued by UA.

I assume I am not permitted into the IAD Polaris lounge before IAD-YYZ, since the Star intl flight is not out of IAD and transborder isn’t eligible.
you are correct you won’t be admitted but it’s not because your flight isn’t out of IAD (we’ll kind of). It’s more because you are connecting to a long haul flight that isn’t United. So I guess if you were flying any *A flight long haul out of IAD you would get access but to get access to a Polaris lounge on a connecting itinerary the long haul portion has to be on UA metal.
whlinder and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 12:53 pm

Access on Arrival

I am flying BRU-IAD on Polaris Business, so I know I technically have access. But will I be able to access the lounge on arrival if I am not continuing to another flight? Or will I be forced through customs and then not be able to re-enter through security without a boarding pass?
Old Dec 6, 2021, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by equalcomb2
I am flying BRU-IAD on Polaris Business, so I know I technically have access. But will I be able to access the lounge on arrival if I am not continuing to another flight? Or will I be forced through customs and then not be able to re-enter through security without a boarding pass?
Any flight into the US (except from some special destinations, like Canada and Aruba) go immediately through customs so unfortunately no access for you.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by equalcomb2
Originally Posted by rbakker
Any flight into the US (except from some special destinations, like Canada and Aruba) go immediately through customs so unfortunately no access for you.
I believe there's nothing stopping you from going through immigration and customs in the C concourse, which is designed for connecting passengers and thus spits you out into the airside area after a TSA check. Nowhere along that route do they ask to see a connecting BP, IIRC.

The only catch is that if you have checked bags, they will be delivered to the main terminal, and it will be difficult or impossible to retrieve them after having gone through customs in C, as doing so would require going "backward" through customs in the main terminal.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
I believe there's nothing stopping you from going through immigration and customs in the C concourse, which is designed for connecting passengers and thus spits you out into the airside area after a TSA check. Nowhere along that route do they ask to see a connecting BP, IIRC.

The only catch is that if you have checked bags, they will be delivered to the main terminal, and it will be difficult or impossible to retrieve them after having gone through customs in C, as doing so would require going "backward" through customs in the main terminal.
Maybe I'm mistaken but every time I've been to the US we've been funneled straight to immigration and customs with no access to anything except maybe a bathroom.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 2:18 pm

Maybe I'm mistaken but every time I've been to the US we've been funneled straight to immigration and customs with no access to anything except maybe a bathroom.
IAD is slightly different. They do funnel you straight to immigration and customs, but there are two locations for that: one is for IAD-terminating passengers and another is for connecting passengers. The latter dumps you out into the airside area, from which one can access the Polaris Lounge, and IIRC doesn't require a connecting BP for you to use it.

That said, checked bags are delivered to the appropriate location based on your itinerary: bags without an onward flight from IAD are sent to the IAD-terminating customs facility, and bags with an onward flight are sent to the connecting passengers facility. The two facilities are physically separate, and you cannot easily access your bags from the other facility (or at all).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 2:41 pm

Thanks, that's very interesting. I don't think I've ever flown internationally into IAD (Canada doesn't count since you've usually already passed customs).
However, please excuse me as I express some doubt. The USA does not seem to trust the security check of any country as much as the fine people at TSA.
In order to get to the lounge you would have to pass through TSA again and they won't let you in without a boarding pass. So how do they do that at IAD?
Old Dec 6, 2021, 2:43 pm

In order to get to the lounge you would have to pass through TSA again and they won't let you in without a boarding pass. So how do they do that at IAD?
That TSA checkpoint in particular might not check for a connecting BP, or at least they didn't last time I checked. But agree that this part is key to OP's success.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 2:47 pm

Every airport I go to now checks your boarding pass about 4 times. Not like the old days, I used to get in by just waving a piece of paper.
Last week I was even stopped from entering a terminal that wasn't on my boarding pass (in Toronto).

Let us know how you get on equalcomb2 !
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
IAD is slightly different. They do funnel you straight to immigration and customs, but there are two locations for that: one is for IAD-terminating passengers and another is for connecting passengers. The latter dumps you out into the airside area, from which one can access the Polaris Lounge, and IIRC doesn't require a connecting BP for you to use it.

That said, checked bags are delivered to the appropriate location based on your itinerary: bags without an onward flight from IAD are sent to the IAD-terminating customs facility, and bags with an onward flight are sent to the connecting passengers facility. The two facilities are physically separate, and you cannot easily access your bags from the other facility (or at all).
I have never heard of a customs facility in the C concourse. The dozen times I've flown into IAD internationally they have funneled EVERYONE on to the moon buggies to the customs facility in the main terminal.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:24 pm

134#. the midfield customs facility has been used for 30 years. All connecting passengers to domestic use this terminal in C

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.