Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
If I check a luggage and the flight gets cancelled (eg. mechanical problem), do they offload the luggage back down to claim? There are 3 situations I can think of: (1) I get rebooked onto a later flight that day; (2) I get rebooked onto a flight the next day; (3) I don't get automatically rebooked and am in limbo. How will I know whether to search for my luggage or if it's retagged to another flight?
Old Mar 5, 2021, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miasmal
If I check a luggage and the flight gets cancelled (eg. mechanical problem), do they offload the luggage back down to claim? There are 3 situations I can think of: (1) I get rebooked onto a later flight that day; (2) I get rebooked onto a flight the next day; (3) I don't get automatically rebooked and am in limbo. How will I know whether to search for my luggage or if it's retagged to another flight?
They don't just automatically send it to baggage claim. In any of those situations you're best advised to talk to an agent at the airport and confirm that they are doing whatever it is you want (return it to you or retag with your new flight). You can also track your bags with the app (view your reservation, look for the track bags button) just to confirm what is happening, although it doesn't work flawlessly.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Anyone know the purpose of flight 2695 tomorrow (Monday, March 8, 2021)? https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...210Z/KIAD/KIAD

It looks like the plane flew last a week ago. So this is taking the plane back in the sky for a quick run before putting it back on revenue service (the following day)?
Old Mar 8, 2021, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Anyone know the purpose of flight 2695 tomorrow (Monday, March 8, 2021)? https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...210Z/KIAD/KIAD

It looks like the plane flew last a week ago. So this is taking the plane back in the sky for a quick run before putting it back on revenue service (the following day)?
I see cancelled from United's status:
Old Mar 8, 2021, 9:56 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Where does one find all the flights United has on the schedule, including sold out flights?
After the schedule changes last weekend, I'm on UA 4699 PSP-SFO on April 25. That's 7 weeks from now, but is sold out(?) and doesn't show up on a flight search. How do I know that flight really exists?
Old Mar 8, 2021, 10:35 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PDXpress
Where does one find all the flights United has on the schedule, including sold out flights?
After the schedule changes last weekend, I'm on UA 4699 PSP-SFO on April 25. That's 7 weeks from now, but is sold out(?) and doesn't show up on a flight search. How do I know that flight really exists?
One way is to use a service with GDS access such as ExpertFlyer or KVS. Or calling UA and asking.

UA 4699 PSP-SFO on April 25, does appear on still scheduled per EF and inventory is zero'ed out and all seats are occupied or blocked

Another method is to use UA's Flight Status. Normally that will only show the upcoming couple of days, but if you change your device's date to the day before, Flight Status will allow you to investigate those dates. And switch you device back afterwards.

But if it still shows in your bookings, it is still on the schedule.
SPN Lifer and PDXpress like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 8, 2021 at 11:08 am Reason: Flight Status method
Old Mar 8, 2021, 8:57 pm

Trying to book award travel through United to Tokyo from NYC in October. Getting this error message:
  • It’s possible that because of reduced flight schedules, United or our partner airlines might not fly to some destinations or may only fly on certain days of the week. You can use the calendar below to select another date that may have availability.

Any ideas?
Old Mar 8, 2021, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NYCRachel
Trying to book award travel through United to Tokyo from NYC in October. Getting this error message:
  • It’s possible that because of reduced flight schedules, United or our partner airlines might not fly to some destinations or may only fly on certain days of the week. You can use the calendar below to select another date that may have availability.

Any ideas?
It appears the awards booking system is down, I get the same for EWR-SFO or EWR-NRT when selecting Flexible days. But OK if I enter specific days -- are you using the Flexible day search?

Also, are you using city codes NYC, TYO or airport codes EWR, NRT?
NYCRachel likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 8, 2021 at 10:00 pm Reason: two typos
Old Mar 8, 2021, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Tokyo = TYO
Old Mar 8, 2021, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It appears the awards booking system is down, I get the same for EWR-SFO or EWR-NRT when selecting Flexible days. But OK if I enter specific days -- are you using the Flexible day search?

I'm using NYC and TYO so I get all the local airports.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by NYCRachel
I'm using NYC and TYO so I get all the local airports.
That has been known to create issues, it can work but be aware it is not 100% trust worthy

But I suspect the Flexible Dates is the problem in this case
Old Mar 8, 2021, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
I see cancelled from United's status:
It's been rescheduled from UA2695 (on Monday, March 7, 2021) to UA2694 (on Tuesday, March 8, 2021) - I think it's some kind of training flight.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...010Z/KIAD/KIAD
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Thanks. Removing flexible dates worked. I cannot believe how primitive some of these systems are still in 2021!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's been rescheduled from UA2695 (on Monday, March 7, 2021) to UA2694 (on Tuesday, March 8, 2021) - I think it's some kind of training flight.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...010Z/KIAD/KIAD
In case anyone else is interested, the plane (N18220) finally took off after multiple days of cancellation, as flight #2696

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...510Z/KIAD/KIAD
Old Mar 10, 2021, 12:25 pm

In case anyone else is interested, the plane (N18220) finally took off after multiple days of cancellation, as flight #2696

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...510Z/KIAD/KIAD
Given that aircraft 737-800W # 3220, N18220 had not flown since 28 Feb and was the aircraft planned for the IAD-IAD flight on the 8th, I'm going to speculate this was a check flight for the aircraft after some maintenance before putting back into service. Now scheduled for MCO later today as UA2722, a ferry? flight to the MCO service center??
Repooc17 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.