Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Scammed by a fake UA call center {Consoldiated}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scammed by a fake UA call center {Consoldiated}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by mozilla
TBH I think the real culprit here is not so much the travel agency but rather Alphabet Inc., willing to take a quick buck without concerns of having their users scammed because they know those users can't avoid Google in the future.

I do not believe this travel agency popped up above UA in the organic search results. It did so in the paid ads results, which appear on top of the organic results.

Google did have the chance to not accept this ad for this specific search query, instead, Google happily pocketed the money and placed the clearly misleading search result on top of the legitimate search results when their user relied on them for accurate information, enabling the scammers in what they do.

I highly doubt this is the first documented case, and I highly doubt Google isn't aware that it is happening.
Really, the individual committing the fraud is not the "real culprit"?

Not sure that some guy running a legit TA in Edinburgh and who provides the same corporate profile as OP found for his scammer, would agree with you.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:46 pm

I do not believe this travel agency popped up above UA in the organic search results. It did so in the paid ads results, which appear on top of the organic results.

Google did have the chance to not accept this ad for this specific search query, instead, Google happily pocketed the money and placed the clearly misleading search result on top of the legitimate search results when their user relied on them for accurate information, enabling the scammers in what they do.

I highly doubt this is the first documented case, and I highly doubt Google isn't aware that it is happening.
Certainly not the first documented case (see screenshot above for Facebook). Aside from carefully screening each and every ad that flows through Google's system (which I doubt they do), it would be very difficult for Google to stop a bad ad once it's out there. Their search system is a giant black box and I suspect no one from engineering knows exactly what keywords would trigger a specific ad to appear at a specific time. That being said, Google could do more in this area and should apply more of the technical knowledge to solving this problem rather than creating yet another AI system that wins another useless game like Go or Starcraft!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Really, the individual committing the fraud is not the "real culprit"?
"Not so much". Scammers are going to scam, always did, always going to do. But if it was not for Google happily putting the scammer's ads on top, legitimizing the scam to an extent, OP would've never been scammed. Or was OP wrong to believe that Google would provide him with accurate information?

As the only company in this story raking in more than 100 billions of dollars in revenue annually, and employing 100k people, and access to an enormous capacity of computing power and the brightest brains in the world, they surely were best placed to prevent this from happening, nor did they have any incentive to enable this scam. Yet, the quick buck won, once again.
jsloan and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by mozilla; Feb 21, 2019 at 6:55 pm
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by j2simpso
If you look at the Facebook example I provided earlier, the scammers clearly state to be Facebook in the ad and the URL visible in the ad says Facebook.com Yet the number provided wasn't for Facebook but rather for a data harvesting firm.

-James
Just want to be sure that people reading this example understand that you might have actually connected to Facebook...since Facebook is fundamentally a data harvesting firm.
Heck, your information might have been SAFER with the scammer, if it was one...
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
That is the reason I do not click on google search ads. I begin looking below last ad.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I've become more and more convinced "Corporate Security" doesn't do much as long as it's not something that costs the company money (not specifically UA). Here you could argue UA's reputation is on the line, but is it really, and would that keep people from flying with UA, and is it worth it to go after a scammer in a foreign untouchable country vs going after hidden city violations and certs bartering?
Oh, absolutely. The same way that HR is to protect the company from its employees, not the other way around
Silver Fox, strickerj and hhdl like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by jiajun
They didn't specifically say they are not UA, but their terms and conditions do suggest they are not UA. The email was simply signed as "Support Team" with no mention of the company name.

You can see their email in my attachment below. Even if I didn't notice the sender of the email, I should have noticed the spelling and grammar errors. Obviously I didn't read the email carefully, I just saw the United logo and my itinerary info that was embedded as an image in the email and then quickly replied with the text that they requested.

As for what exactly they said on the phone, I can't say for sure because the call wasn't recorded.

Everything about this screen shot screams fraud. If you have even rudimentary English skills - even if it's not your native language - you should be able to spot the myriad of grammar errors in this email.

"Telephonic" conversation? Who out there has even seen that word used in any sort of context ever?

"Fresh" charge on card?

And the message lacks articles all over the place. "Please check with relevant embassy" instead of "your relevant embassy" or "the relevant embassy." It's written on the level of many Nigerian money scams.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Everything about this screen shot screams fraud. If you have even rudimentary English skills - even if it's not your native language - you should be able to spot the myriad of grammar errors in this email.
In the day and age of off-shored and outsourced call centers, the fact an email has marginably questionable English in it isn't the same red flag it might have been years ago...

"Telephonic" conversation? Who out there has even seen that word used in any sort of context ever?
Well, Mark Twain for starters. Plus anyone that has had telephonic conversations with Indians who seem to frequently use that term.

Last edited by docbert; Feb 21, 2019 at 10:31 pm Reason: Ironically, typo...
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:21 pm

Programs: OZ*G, Nexus, APEC

"Fresh" charge on card?

And the message lacks articles all over the place. "Please check with relevant embassy" instead of "your relevant embassy" or "the relevant embassy." It's written on the level of many Nigerian money scams.
As I mentioned in a previous post, I obviously didn't read the email. I just scanned it quickly, saw the UA logo and my itinerary, then copy-pasted the requested text while I was on the phone with the "agent" and hit send so I could finish the call and go to bed. Once I found out that UA had no record of a payment, I opened this email again, noticed all of the same errors that you pointed out, and immediately knew what happened.

I know it's hard for some people to believe that a native English speaker and frequent traveler could fall for this kind of scam, but that's exactly what happened.

I'm not blaming anyone but myself, just trying to raise awareness for this kind of scam.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by docbert
In the day and age of off-short and outsourced call centers, the fact an email has marginably question English in it's the same red flag it might have been years ago...

Well, Mark Twain for starters. Plus anyone that has had telephonic conversations with Indians who seem to frequently use that term.
And Shakespeare used "forsooth." But if I saw "forsooth" in an email, red flags would sprout like flowers. Verily.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiajun
I know it's hard for some people to believe that a native English speaker and frequent traveler could fall for this kind of scam, but that's exactly what happened.
Actually, I find it very easy to believe. These scams wouldn't proliferate if they didn't work.

I, for one, appreciate your decision to share your experience to help the next person who finds themselves in this situation. Thank you.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by jsloan
Actually, I find it very easy to believe. These scams wouldn't proliferate if they didn't work.

I, for one, appreciate your decision to share your experience to help the next person who finds themselves in this situation. Thank you.
+1. I could see myself falling for this too. It's the end of the day, you're tired, and you've got a confidence bias -- you've Googled the number and you think you're calling UA.

Hope you get your money back, and if you have the energy definitely report this to the state Attorney General for the state where these clowns are located.
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by dordal; Feb 21, 2019 at 11:11 pm
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Often1
Both OP and several others have pointed out that the number has been disconnected.

Scammers also collect inbound call numbers and use those as "live" for future scams. Unless you are lonely and want calls from scammers on a regular basis, it's not a good idea to engage any of them.
True... But this guy:

Has a great time of it!!!
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
jiajun
This thread came up from another thread. 90 days have passed. Did the merchant ever respond or did CapOne give you a full refund?
zrs70 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Checked this out today on Google, they are using 1-855-373-2434, charging $200.00 and passing them off as United, but they are unable to look up the Reservation number,

Google needs to shut them down..
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.