Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Scammed by a fake UA call center {Consoldiated}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scammed by a fake UA call center {Consoldiated}

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2023, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by angetenar
Have you sent in a customer service claim? If that wasn't successful, you may try filing a DoT complaint as well.
A claim for what? Any claim or complaint is going to be much more effective once we’re able to understand the details a bit better.

Originally Posted by BearX220
OP, did you by any chance hunt up some viable Star Alliance connections out to DXB on LH, TK, etc.? If there was a routing / time that suited you that should have been a more straightforward bookover.
For a delay caused by weather, getting UA to rebook on LH would be possible but not guaranteed; TK would be almost impossible.

Originally Posted by EBiafore99
OP, I am sorry to say but think UA handled this correctly. EK is not a Star Alliance member, they are only a codeshare partner with UA. If EK were a Star Alliance member with all the interlining agreements in place, UA may have been able to book you on an EK flight with no upcharge.
UA and EK have an interline agreement. UA could have booked OP on an EK flight at no upcharge; I’m just not sure they would. It’s a UA policy issue, not an interline agreement issue

However, a codeshare arrangement is more limited.
True, but irrelevant. UA can book a ticket on any airline where an interline agreement is in place, regardless of whether or not they codeshare.

Furthermore, if the EK flight did not have a corresponding UA flight number, that means the EK flight was not part of the codeshare arrangement. Therefore, all UA could do is check the availability and offer you what EK had available.
The correct procedure during IRROPS is always to validate native (non-codeshare) inventory, even if they may ticket under a codeshare.

My guess is UA provided vouchers as a goodwill gesture because of the inconvenience.
The vouchers appear to have been offered in lieu of the refund that UA owes by DOT policy. UA is not in the habit of issuing goodwill vouchers for weather delays.
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old May 8, 2023, 10:27 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by daleweston
...I called into UA customer service ....
Can you look in your call history and provide the number you called? Googleing UA Customer Service can yield multiple fake phone numbers.

Was the DXB booked as a codeshare on UA ticket stock or was it Emirates/EK ticket stock?

This overall feels odd.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 8, 2023 at 10:36 am Reason: ticket stock questions
Old May 8, 2023, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP, I am sorry to say but think UA handled this correctly. EK is not a Star Alliance member, they are only a codeshare partner with UA. If EK were a Star Alliance member with all the interlining agreements in place, UA may have been able to book you on an EK flight with no upcharge. However, a codeshare arrangement is more limited. Furthermore, if the EK flight did not have a corresponding UA flight number, that means the EK flight was not part of the codeshare arrangement. Therefore, all UA could do is check the availability and offer you what EK had available. My guess is UA provided vouchers as a goodwill gesture because of the inconvenience.
Originally Posted by jsloan
A claim for what? Any claim or complaint is going to be much more effective once we’re able to understand the details a bit better.

For a delay caused by weather, getting UA to rebook on LH would be possible but not guaranteed; TK would be almost impossible.

UA and EK have an interline agreement. UA could have booked OP on an EK flight at no upcharge; I’m just not sure they would. It’s a UA policy issue, not an interline agreement issue

True, but irrelevant. UA can book a ticket on any airline where an interline agreement is in place, regardless of whether or not they codeshare.

The correct procedure during IRROPS is always to validate native (non-codeshare) inventory, even if they may ticket under a codeshare.

The vouchers appear to have been offered in lieu of the refund that UA owes by DOT policy. UA is not in the habit of issuing goodwill vouchers for weather delays.
Yes, codeshare or alliance isn't the issue — I have had an agent offer EK as an IRROPS rebook option no fare difference required. We got partway through doing it before changing course, as other inventory opened up that was preferable.

I agree something is quite odd about collecting a new fare and giving FFC. They should either rebook no charge or give a true refund.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and leftysauce like this.
Old May 8, 2023, 10:42 am

Thank you all for your expert answers and advice. I am particularly intrigued by the idea that I got scammed and didn't actually talk to UA. I can look at the company named that billed my credit card.

Again, thanks to everyone for your help. Next time I will be more informed!
bitterproffit likes this.
Old May 8, 2023, 10:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I can look at the company named that billed my credit card....
That may look legit even in the scam case, the telephone number is the best indicator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 12, 2023 at 4:01 pm Reason: Clean up post merge
Old May 8, 2023, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by winecountryua
can you look in your call history and provide the number you called? Googleing ua customer service can yield multiple fake phone numbers.

Was the dxb booked as a codeshare on ua ticket stock or was it emirates/ek ticket stock?

This overall feels odd.

or 888.292.7184

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 8, 2023 at 11:04 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 8, 2023, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

United's customer service number is 800-UNITED-1 -- 800-864-8331. You appear to have called a company named Fly Vault Travels.

or 888.292.7184
This one only comes up via the Better Business Bureau Scam Tracker.
SPN Lifer, EWR764, LIH and 3 others like this.
Old May 8, 2023, 11:06 am

Well I’m an idiot!

I knew you guys would figure this out.
Old May 8, 2023, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I’m an idiot!

I knew you guys would figure this out.
Don't beat yourself up -- the websites are there because the ads work.

You may be out of luck on the out-of-pocket expenses for the Emirates flight, but you may still be able to get a refund on the United flight. If you have already returned to the US, that's good -- follow up with United refunds as I described earlier, and explain the situation. If you have not yet returned, you need to check your UA ticket immediately on United.com or via the United app, and make sure you still have a return ticket. Depending upon what changes this travel agent made to your reservation, it's possible that your return flight has been canceled. If that's the case, contact UA directly, tell them that (a) you misconnected at EWR because of a delay; (b) you took an alternative flight to DXB; and (c) you'd like to reinstate your return flights. If they say that you made a "voluntary change," explain that you didn't understand what the agent was saying and that you were just stressed trying to get to your meeting. Throw yourself on the mercy of the court, so to speak. Note that you can call US toll-free numbers at no charge with Skype or Google Voice.

You're not going to be able to post again until tomorrow due to FT rules for new members, but please let us know the outcome.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, ZenFlyer and 1 others like this.
Old May 8, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by BearX220
OP, did you by any chance hunt up some viable Star Alliance connections out to DXB on LH, TK, etc.? If there was a routing / time that suited you that should have been a more straightforward bookover.
Reading below to see the OP was unfortunately scammed, I know this is a moot point. Rerouting onto TK would have been a very logical option, if UA would have done it, since their flight from EWR leaves after midnight.
BearX220 and wrp96 like this.
Old May 8, 2023, 11:51 am

Kind of moot point since we've clarified OP was tricked by false advertising that connected them with a scam service. But some other points that were discussed in the thread I wanted to point out that made it clear to me you were working with non-UA before we clarified the phone number (not something the average flyer would pick up on). The fare difference to be put on EK - as far as I'm aware there aren't any fare filings that allow UA to sell a fare that includes EK NYC-DXB on their ticket stock, codeshare or not. Involuntarily, absolutely they can issue it, but in terms of trying to "price" it, it would fail to price because no fare they have access to permits it. But there should never be a case where UA is booking someone on the EK flight while quoting a fare to collect.

Also should never be a case where they are simultaneously collecting money from you and issuing a separate credit.

Also the discussion regarding codeshare vs. non-codeshare. The agreement w/ EK isn't to codeshare on NYC-DXB, in fact no such UA code exists on the EK operated JFK-DXB, and no EK code exist on UA's EWR-DXB (and v.v on the city pairs). The codeshare agreement w/ EK is to put UA flight numbers on EK flights going beyond DXB, not the flight between US gateway and DXB (similarly for EK it is to use the EK code on UA flights going beyond the US gateway).

or 888.292.7184
Originally Posted by jsloan
United's customer service number is 800-UNITED-1 -- 800-864-8331. You appear to have called a company named Fly Vault Travels.

This one only comes up via the Better Business Bureau Scam Tracker.
Only thing to add for OP beyond whats been already said regarding checking your reservation to make sure your return in order (which I suspect it is, the "600 credit" they gave was probably from voluntarily adjusting the ticket to be the one way return only), is to write in to UA separately at united.com/feedback to let them know about the scam number you encountered when trying to find the correct UA contact information. They take these cases seriously and their corporate security department works extensively to get these types of scams shut down when they pop up. .It's unlikely to be able to get you your money back, but sending it in ensures a case gets opened for the right department to investigate it and reduce the chance others get scammed, and who knows they might even throw some goodwill your way.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, wrp96 and 6 others like this.
Old May 8, 2023, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Not meaning to pile-on, but a traveler should always have their carrier's CS phone # committed to memory or loaded into their contacts. Also, it can be very helpful if you look at all the rerouting options online before you get on the phone with CS. If you already know the flights you want when you call, things will move faster.
Old May 8, 2023, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If you have travel insurance, I would try to claim the cost through them. I don't think they truly care from where you had to buy your new plane tickets from--as long as you can (1) get a written statement from UA that your original flight was cancelled and (2) get a receipt from the travel agency you bought your new tickets from.

OP, when you have some downtime, spend 10-15 minutes going to the official websites of all domestic US airline (and whatever foreign airlines you've flown), get the reservations phone number, and store it in your phone.
SPN Lifer and CREN like this.
Old May 8, 2023, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Not meaning to pile-on, but a traveler should always have their carrier's CS phone # committed to memory or loaded into their contacts. Also, it can be very helpful if you look at all the rerouting options online before you get on the phone with CS. If you already know the flights you want when you call, things will move faster.
Phone numbers are on the tickets, email, in the app, and on the website.
Old May 8, 2023, 4:07 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Reading below to see the OP was unfortunately scammed, I know this is a moot point. Rerouting onto TK would have been a very logical option, if UA would have done it, since their flight from EWR leaves after midnight.
I've heard from a handful of agents TK is hostile to UA booked segments within 24 hours of departure -- apparently a pretty common issue is/has been for TK to HK1 the segment (e.g. tell UA that it is confirmed) only to refuse to board the passenger at the gate. Supposedly it has to do with catering orders being submitted at T-24 and not updated. Maybe a problem from years past that has been fixed but there seems to be a strong reluctance to protect on TK to avoid sending off an angry passenger only to have them boomerang back angrier.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.