Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Scammed by a fake UA call center {Consoldiated}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scammed by a fake UA call center {Consoldiated}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I would dispute the charge. you were under the (false) impression that you were dealing directly with United Airlines. THAT is who you authorized a payment. They fraudulently pretended to be United.

Just be up front with your credit card company and see what they say. good luck.
Miggles likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: OZ*G, Nexus, APEC
Originally Posted by docbert
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-ua-agent.html would be a worth a read. Likely a different company, but similar story.

You can try a charge-back, but the problem is potentially that the agency can claim that you called them, and they have a fee for assisting non-customers in such a situation, so the fee was justified.
Yes, that sounds like a similar story.

I think you are right about the charge-back, but I tried it anyway. We'll see what happens.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I think this might be best in the UK forum at some stage as more UK based people with knowledge of the best ways to resolution will see this.

Perhaps start here https://www.gov.uk/complain-company
jiajun likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
I would dispute the charge. you were under the (false) impression that you were dealing directly with United Airlines. THAT is who you authorized a payment. Just be up front with your credit card company and see what they say. good luck.
That is exactly what I did. I had a long conversation with Capital One and explained everything to them. The merchant has 90 days to respond to the charge-back. I will post an update here when I get the result.

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
In this case, however, there was no assistance provided. It looks like pure fraud. They misrepresented themselves as United, and it's possible the card company will side with you. It couldn't hurt to try. I had a case of a scammer outfit like this providing "assistance" to me for renewing my drivers license. When I realized too late that it was a scam, I called my credit card company. Surprisingly, they said to try calling the company back first, and if that didn't work to do the charge-back. When I called the scam company back, they actually did reverse the charge!
I actually did try calling back that number (855) 387-0231, but it appears to be out of service already. They probably stopped using it after Google caught on to what they were doing and they lost their ranking for the related search term.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 20, 2019 at 12:40 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I think this might be best in the UK forum at some stage as more UK based people with knowledge of the best ways to resolution will see this.

Perhaps start here https://www.gov.uk/complain-company
Thanks for the suggestion. I went ahead and filed a complaint. And filed another one on https://reporting.actionfraud.police.uk as well.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:45 pm

Never ever trust Google for information. Aside from Facebook, Google is the biggest spreader of fake information and news for that matter (no matter what they say otherwise). A colleague of mine thought they had their Facebook account hacked and searched for Facebook customer service. Top result was a 1800 number which once he called they asked him for sensitive information like credit card details and passport number. Fortunately he texted me whilst on the phone and I told him to hang up right away.

Here's what a Fake ad on Google looks like:

I'm guessing this is what the OP saw (except for United instead of Fakebook).

These days, the only way you can get reliable information is to go directly to the horses mouth (i.e. United's website).

As for what you can do about it: If you can get a screenshot of the Google result, I'd recommend capturing the screenshot. I've seen ads which purport to be a reputable company (i.e. Facebook) which when either clicking the link or calling the number go to another website. That act by itself constitutes misrepresentation which is a form of fraud that can be tried criminally as well as through civil litigation. With respect to your credit card company, they agree to protect you from fraudulent transactions. Hence, such misrepresentation represents covered fraud.

If you are unable to find a screenshot (i.e. Google pulled the ad), contact Google Adwords directly and demand they send you evidence of the fraud. The Chief Legal Officer of Google is David Drummond and his Google email address can be found online. I have personally emailed him on several occasions and within a few minutes of sending the email the scams magically disappear. I cannot prove that David personally saw the email but I suspect had I not sent the email the scams would still be there.

Safe Travels,

James
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Never ever trust Google for information. Aside from Facebook, Google is the biggest spreader of fake information and news for that matter (no matter what they say otherwise). A colleague of mine thought they had their Facebook account hacked and searched for Facebook customer service. Top result was a 1800 number which once he called they asked him for sensitive information like credit card details and passport number. Fortunately he texted me whilst on the phone and I told him to hang up right away.

Here's what a Fake ad on Google looks like:

I'm guessing this is what the OP saw (except for United instead of Fakebook).

These days, the only way you can get reliable information is to go directly to the horses mouth (i.e. United's website).

As for what you can do about it: If you can get a screenshot of the Google result, I'd recommend capturing the screenshot. I've seen ads which purport to be a reputable company (i.e. Facebook) which when either clicking the link or calling the number go to another website. That act by itself constitutes misrepresentation which is a form of fraud that can be tried criminally as well as through civil litigation. With respect to your credit card company, they agree to protect you from fraudulent transactions. Hence, such misrepresentation represents covered fraud.

If you are unable to find a screenshot (i.e. Google pulled the ad), contact Google Adwords directly and demand they send you evidence of the fraud. The Chief Legal Officer of Google is David Drummond and his Google email address can be found online. I have personally emailed him on several occasions and within a few minutes of sending the email the scams magically disappear. I cannot prove that David personally saw the email but I suspect had I not sent the email the scams would still be there.

Safe Travels,

James
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, quite some time had passed until I discovered this and that phone number is no longer showing up on the search result. I didn't think it was an ad that I clicked on, but that makes more sense. It would be too difficult to get an organic ranking for that. I will try contacting Google Adwords and see if they can provide any evidence. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would submit the chargeback dispute via the website. In this case, the critical detail is that the TA represented itself to be UA. In your OP, you state, "So I called this phone number and they pretended to be United Airlines." That misrepresentation is sufficient to justify the chargeback even if the TA otherwise performed all services requested.

Chances are that the TA will never respond and is more than satisfied with however many scams it has gotten away with and will show up tomorrow as somebody else, somewhere else and under a separate phone number. But, if the TA does respond, it is important for you to have made the express point and in writing that the TA identified itself as UA.

These guys likely have a hundred shell companies ready to go and locations elsewhere to claim as their office (this one appears to be a hair salon in Edinburgh), so the issue is not a warning about this outfit. Rather, as you properly point out, the critical point when you call is to assure that you have located a number on united.com and not some other URL.
Miggles likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:02 pm

I would recommend having a look at your browser history on the device where you accessed this fake info ASAP! Most browsers can store 2-4 weeks of browser history, perhaps even more and some even allow you to search your browser history for pages you visit allowing you to find the proverbial needle in the hay stack:

Once you found the offending Google search, you'll want to forward the keywords you search, where you searched from and phone number you dialled. Chances are they'll be able to pull up that information from the suspended ad database they likely maintain.

Safe Travels,

James

Hopefully not a dumb question to ask but should the OP take steps to secure their reservation and account? Presumably to do the rebooking she shared the confirmation number which as we can gives you keys to manage the whole reservation (including cancel/change flight/passenger) and possibly even their MilagePlus account if that was revealed in the res or with the agent. Would UA be able to reissue the ticket under a new booking number?

Safe Travels,

James

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 20, 2019 at 1:40 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
I would submit the chargeback dispute via the website. In this case, the critical detail is that the TA represented itself to be UA. In your OP, you state, "So I called this phone number and they pretended to be United Airlines." That misrepresentation is sufficient to justify the chargeback even if the TA otherwise performed all services requested.

Chances are that the TA will never respond and is more than satisfied with however many scams it has gotten away with and will show up tomorrow as somebody else, somewhere else and under a separate phone number. But, if the TA does respond, it is important for you to have made the express point and in writing that the TA identified itself as UA.

These guys likely have a hundred shell companies ready to go and locations elsewhere to claim as their office (this one appears to be a hair salon in Edinburgh), so the issue is not a warning about this outfit. Rather, as you properly point out, the critical point when you call is to assure that you have located a number on united.com and not some other URL.
I was going to dispute it online but Capital One doesn't give enough space to write the full details on their website, so I did it over the phone. The guy I talked with was quite helpful and took many notes and I made sure to have him include the fact that this company was impersonating UA in his report. We'll see if the merchant responds or not. You might be right, they are just playing a numbers game. If they do this 10 times, maybe only 5 will catch on to what happened and file a dispute.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by jiajun
So I called this phone number and they pretended to be United Airlines
I wonder if that's actually the case. I'd be willing to bet that the confirmation email they sent you stated in the terms that they are in fact not UA, but are collecting money to act on your behalf. I think it quite likely that nothing they said on the phone actually represented themselves as being United, but was carefully designed to not give cause to think otherwise for a caller that had a preformed state of mind that they were calling United. It wouldn't be that hard to do and train the agents accordingly. Not that this makes it right.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Hopefully not a dumb question to ask but should the OP take steps to secure their reservation and account? Presumably to do the rebooking she shared the confirmation number which as we can gives you keys to manage the whole reservation (including cancel/change flight/passenger) and possibly even their MilagePlus account if that was revealed in the res or with the agent. Would UA be able to reissue the ticket under a new booking number?

Safe Travels,

James
Good point. Although I doubt they would go through that much trouble and risk with no further monetary benefit. I will ask UA about this when I do the re-booking (I haven't re-booked yet).
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
I think it quite likely that nothing they said on the phone actually represented themselves as being United, but was carefully designed to not give cause to think otherwise for a caller that had a preformed state of mind that they were calling United. It wouldn't be that hard to do and train the agents accordingly. Not that this makes it right.
Why is that quite likely? I feel it is quite likely they did pretend since they know almost no one records calls. I'm sure there are plenty of examples in youtube recordings of people dealing with phone scammers and the things they'll say.

They also said the $200 fee was for a cancellation which they did not provide. That is a clear reason for chargeback.
Miggles likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
I wonder if that's actually the case. I'd be willing to bet that the confirmation email they sent you stated in the terms that they are in fact not UA, but are collecting money to act on your behalf. I think it quite likely that nothing they said on the phone actually represented themselves as being United, but was carefully designed to not give cause to think otherwise for a caller that had a preformed state of mind that they were calling United. It wouldn't be that hard to do and train the agents accordingly. Not that this makes it right.
They didn't specifically say they are not UA, but their terms and conditions do suggest they are not UA. The email was simply signed as "Support Team" with no mention of the company name.

You can see their email in my attachment below. Even if I didn't notice the sender of the email, I should have noticed the spelling and grammar errors. Obviously I didn't read the email carefully, I just saw the United logo and my itinerary info that was embedded as an image in the email and then quickly replied with the text that they requested.

As for what exactly they said on the phone, I can't say for sure because the call wasn't recorded.

Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rrgg
Why is that quite likely? I feel it is quite likely they did pretend since they know almost no one records calls. I'm sure there are plenty of examples in youtube recordings of people dealing with phone scammers and the things they'll say. ...
As discussed in the earlier thread, the scammers use a unique phone number for each carrier. this allows them to start the conversation -- "Are you calling about an issue with your United flight? We at the Support Desk can help you with your United travel issues."
Note they never stated they were United but 9 of 10, thinking they called United in the first place, would continue to think they were talking to UA personal -- but the scammer is clean in the sense they made no representation to be United. It is ugly and deceitful but easy to let "the mark" assume away.

Originally Posted by rrgg
They also said the $200 fee was for a cancellation which they did not provide. That is a clear reason for chargeback.
Reading the OP appears the "Support Desk" that did cancel the trip, however, UA charges no fee to cancel. UA does charge a fee to re-book using the cancel flight credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.