Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Scammed by a fake UA call center {Consoldiated}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scammed by a fake UA call center {Consoldiated}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
I could write pages of how Chase has mistreated my wife and I over the past decade, but we've built a relationship with them that includes 4 cards and a combined credit line of close to $70,000. It's hard to just jump ship and start over.

You should at least ask for a new account number, even with Chase blocking the merchant who's to say this place can't start over under a new name ? If they do that Chase really can't block them, and then you could be right back where you are now.

Just my $.02.

Last edited by n198ua; Oct 31, 2018 at 8:55 pm
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:54 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by februaryfour
No. Chase has an option to block the merchant, but honestly, right now I've told Chase either fix this or I'm taking my three credit cards and large credit line with me to Amex.
My favorite part about mentioning AMEX when writing to Chase is that, at least when you contact them via the Secure Message Center, when they quote your message at the bottom of their reply, AMEX is ****ed out. Whether their system does that automatically at reply-time, or if Chase's systems sanitize it as soon as you submit it to prevent their employees from having to see those four letters, I don't know
hhdl likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by februaryfour
No. Chase has an option to block the merchant, but honestly, right now I've told Chase either fix this or I'm taking my three credit cards and large credit line with me to Amex. The ball is in their court. A friend (my college dorm neighbor) has offered me an Amex Plat referral, and I am definitely going to look into that. On top of a few other things, Chase has been a jerk to my husband as well. We've been with Chase for over a decade, but I don't see a reason to continue paying them my $450 annually if they can't give me the sort of service I expect for $450. Let's put it this way. If I'm going to have to go through the rigamarole of changing ALL my subscriptions and autopays YET AGAIN (I've already had to change it twice when Chase proactively issued new cards) then I'm going to give some other issuer a chance to earn and retain my business.
we really are happy with Amex Plat
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:13 pm

OP: Just out of curiosity, and maybe I missed it in an earlier post upthread, but what is the real name of the company ? How exactly did it appear on your credit card statement ?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I have had good chargeback experiences with Chase, Amex and Citi. But, I also use chargebacks carefully and only when it fits a specific category appropriate to the process.

It's not a mini-small claims court and many who are disatisfied with chargeback results have attempted to use it as such.

Large merchant vendors such as air carriers, hotel chains, and auto rental companies document everything and can supply that to rebut an a dispute with a few keystrokes.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, HHonors Diamond,
Yep! Same here.

I have the #800 number that's on my FF membership card in my phone. I dial that one if I need to make changes.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I'm surprised as well about the Chase experience here. I've had very good service when there has been any hint of fraud, many times initiated by Chase letting me know there's a questionable charge on my account. Of course I've always been willing to get a new card and number when it looks like I've been compromised. I'll never understand the unwillingness to do this. It's a hassle changing my automatic charges and everything, but it's saved me a lot of other headaches.
COSPILOT, Often1 and 747FC like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
I'm surprised as well about the Chase experience here. I've had very good service when there has been any hint of fraud, many times initiated by Chase letting me know there's a questionable charge on my account. Of course I've always been willing to get a new card and number when it looks like I've been compromised. I'll never understand the unwillingness to do this. It's a hassle changing my automatic charges and everything, but it's saved me a lot of other headaches.
I wish it were the case that if a new card is offered, the account holder has the option of rejecting the offer, but that absolves the card issuer (bank) from any further fraud liability on the card.

Let the customer make the decision and take on the risk. But, I have no desire to bear the cost of others' decisions.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Chase has been pretty good for me, even on par with Amex over the last 15 years. Every fraudulent transaction has been caught, and with a little time on the phone everything has always been resolved for me.
747FC likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
I'll never understand the unwillingness to do this. It's a hassle changing my automatic charges and everything, but it's saved me a lot of other headaches.
This.

Of course its the consumers right to reject a new account number, but if they do so and are the victim of fraud then they, not the bank, should bear the consequences of their actions.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:15 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Not a lawyer, but I can check the legal definition of fraud.
If this agency intentionally got a phone number that was "one digit off" from the real UA line. Or if they manipulated Google to present themselves as United, they engaged in "intentional misrepresentation of material existing fact" ... "with knowledge of its falsity and for the purpose of inducing the other person to act"

It doesn't matter if they said they were United or not. OP was a victim of fraud the minute (s)he hit "call".

The problem then becomes objective assent. If the OP can't produce the phone number, then the OP won't be able to dispute the one objective fact: OP did in fact call 800-Not-United.

That said...I would raise heck with Chase. They have the power to stop this, but apparently chose not to. I've never had a problem with Chase, but YMMV.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by n198ua
This.

Of course its the consumers right to reject a new account number, but if they do so and are the victim of fraud then they, not the bank, should bear the consequences of their actions.
OTOH I once had a credit card replaced after I left it at a restaurant (I went back the next day and they couldn't find it) and several of my auto bill payments updated automatically, so I infer that there's some service whereby merchants can update recurring payments to use a new number.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Zorak
OTOH I once had a credit card replaced after I left it at a restaurant (I went back the next day and they couldn't find it) and several of my auto bill payments updated automatically, so I infer that there's some service whereby merchants can update recurring payments to use a new number.
Did the card number actually update, or did the charges just continue to post?

Some credit card companies will allow certain companies to continue to charge a credit card number after it's been canceled and replaced by a new number, but only if they have a history of charging to that number.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
Did the card number actually update, or did the charges just continue to post?

Some credit card companies will allow certain companies to continue to charge a credit card number after it's been canceled and replaced by a new number, but only if they have a history of charging to that number.
Good question, and I'm not actually sure. But then could that apply in februaryfour's case also?

Anyway I guess I'm drifting OT so...
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I doubt it's fraud, since they did book him tickets home. Most likely it's a slightly scummy travel agent. Their paid Google ad would pop up when you Google United, then the OP blindly dialed the number, and then freely gave his/her payment info and everything for the flight. If the travel agency did in fact cancel the United flights - we still don't know that - then that would prove that it wasn't a scam. Misleading? Perhaps, but he called them, and booked flights, and the tickets were real, and he got home on those flights. The agency booking fee sounds high, but that's why you don't use travel agents anymore.

I just Googled "United customer service" and the first page of links are all legit to united.com. OP, what did you actually Google, and why did you not just go to united.com to begin with?
Xyzzy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.