Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Scammed by a fake UA call center {Consoldiated}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scammed by a fake UA call center {Consoldiated}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As discussed in the earlier thread, the scammers use a unique phone number for each carrier. this allows them to start the conversation -- "Are you calling about an issue with your United flight? We at the Support Desk can help you with your United travel issues."
Note they never stated they were United but 9 of 10, thinking they called United in the first place, would continue to think they were talking to UA personal -- but the scammer is clean in the sense they made no representation to be United. It is ugly and deceitful but easy to let "the mark" assume away.
Regardless of whether they claimed to United on the phone or not, if they did post an ad claiming to be United that in and of itself represents material misrepresentation and fraud. More than enough to get the chargeback if you want, or to press civil/criminal charges in the UK, USA or elsewhere as the case may be. In addition, their failure to disclose whom they are is borderline legal. I'm not sure how the UK advertising standards and/or Ofcom would have to say about this but given how liberal EU law is, I suspect a case could be made there. By the email provided by the OP themselves, it seems like the company is doing very little if anything to represent that they are anything other than UA.

Reading the OP appears yhe "Support Desk" that did cancel the trip, however, UA charges no fee to cancel. UA does charge a fee to re-book using the cancel flight credit.
Was the trip in fact cancelled by them? If so, then yes there was some consideration made by the company (i.e. they pressed a couple of buttons to cancel the res in return for the hefty fee they collected - easy work if you can get it I suppose). Again, a lot of this boils down to whether the TA misrepresented themselves either online, over the phone or via email. I suspect the OP will find enough evidence to certify beyond a reasonable doubt that there was some fraudulent misrepresentation involved.

Safe Travels,

James
Miggles likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I swear there was a thread almost identical to this a couple of months ago. That fraudulent TA seems t have a familiar name.

ETA: Indeed, I found several review sites with listings for flightszoom:

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/flightszoom.com
https://www.onlinethreatalerts.com/a...ation-website/
https://stoppingtravelscam.blogspot.com/
ChinaShrek and jiajun like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Regardless of whether they claimed to United on the phone or not, if they did post an ad claiming to be United ...
no evidence of that has been posted and having seen similar ads where that just state " Need to change your United flights, Call the Support Desk" --no UA logo was used either. These folks walk a careful line and let the caller make unwarranted assumptions.

Not defending the practice but those leaping to the claims of fraud need to understand what these "clever" folks actually do.
narvik and hhdl like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Regardless of whether they claimed to United on the phone or not, if they did post an ad claiming to be United that in and of itself represents material misrepresentation and fraud. More than enough to get the chargeback if you want, or to press civil/criminal charges in the UK, USA or elsewhere as the case may be. In addition, their failure to disclose whom they are is borderline legal. I'm not sure how the UK advertising standards and/or Ofcom would have to say about this but given how liberal EU law is, I suspect a case could be made there. By the email provided by the OP themselves, it seems like the company is doing very little if anything to represent that they are anything other than UA.

Was the trip in fact cancelled by them? If so, then yes there was some consideration made by the company (i.e. they pressed a couple of buttons to cancel the res in return for the hefty fee they collected - easy work if you can get it I suppose). Again, a lot of this boils down to whether the TA misrepresented themselves either online, over the phone or via email. I suspect the OP will find enough evidence to certify beyond a reasonable doubt that there was some fraudulent misrepresentation involved.

Safe Travels,

James
Are you a lawyer with relevant expertise/experience?
hhdl likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
I surprised you used google to get the United's number. The only time I do that is when I'm trying to find the number of a local business. For major businesses, I go directly to their web sites and reference the contact information.

As a business traveler I also keep the numbers of both reservations and customer service for a variety of hotel, airlines, car rentals, etc. in the dialing directory of my phone.
zip10001 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jiajun
This is quite embarrassing for me, I'm normally very vigilant and never fall for these kind of scams.

Recently I needed to re-book the return leg of an international ticket. Instead of checking the UA reservations phone number from their website, I did a Google search for "united reservations number". I guess these scammers somehow managed to temporarily get a ranking for this specific search phrase. It showed the phone number (855)387-0231 on the top snippet of the search results.
The one with the outlined green "Ad" label on it?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mduell
Companies frequently place "ads" for themselves so that they can be above equivalent ads for other companies trying to take their business. eg, American puts in an ad for themselves when someone searches for "united airlines". UA then puts in their own ad for the same term so they appear above AA.

The fact it's an ad doesn't necessarily make it illegitimate - although obviously it should have you at last asking the question...
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: OZ*G, Nexus, APEC
no evidence of that has been posted and having seen similar ads where that just state " Need to change your United flights, Call the Support Desk" --no UA logo was used either. These folks walk a careful line and let the caller make unwarranted assumptions.

Not defending the practice but those leaping to the claims of fraud need to understand what these "clever" folks actually do.
I think it's borderline. In the email (which I posted in a previous reply), they didn't specifically say they were United Airlines, but also didn't say they were not United Airlines (or what company they are).

However, they did display the text "To ensure delivery of this e-mail please add [email protected] to your address book or approved senders list. See instructions for adding us to your address book." which I think implies that the email was sent from [email protected].

Furthermore, they also displayed the United Airlines logo in the email, which links to https://www.united.com/ when clicked. What's interesting about this is that external images are blocked by default in my Gmail settings. I normally have to click a link to display them. It appears they found a way to bypass Gmail's block of external images and loaded the logo image. I think they might have done this by hosting the image on Google's server, which maybe isn't considered an "external image".

Here is the html source of the logo in their email.

I'm not a lawyer, but this does seem like this could be considered fraud. Not that I would try suing them over $200 anyway, but I might have a good chance of winning my charge-back case based on this.

Originally Posted by mduell
I didn't think so, but based on some of the replies here I now think that it probably was.

Originally Posted by drowelf
I surprised you used google to get the United's number. The only time I do that is when I'm trying to find the number of a local business. For major businesses, I go directly to their web sites and reference the contact information.

As a business traveler I also keep the numbers of both reservations and customer service for a variety of hotel, airlines, car rentals, etc. in the dialing directory of my phone.
I have a bad habit of always going to Google to look for anything. Definitely won't make that mistake again. It was close to midnight after a long day, so I probably wasn't paying as much attention as I should have. Otherwise I would have noticed that I was clicking on an ad.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 20, 2019 at 3:25 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by docbert
.... I'm not a lawyer, but this does seem like this could be considered fraud. ....
And INAL either and can not weight in on the issue of legal fraud. The practice is clearly deceptive.

As for the UA logo, it appears that is part of a true message from UA they have included --- it is a message UA issues ( with the comment about whitelisting UA's email) when you request a copy of the itinerary) -- just another part of the deception, They just let "the mark" connect the dots and draw the desired assumption. Standard con-artist practice.
hhdl likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Your credit card company will almost certainly cancel the charge. First, they understand what is going on with these skirt-the-fraud-laws scammers, they deal with these type of guys everyday. But the key is that the credit card company has no interest (or obligation) to do business with them. So they will cancel the charge and let the bank that established the credit card billing arrangement with the scammer deal with it. Further, the only way the charge will be reinstated is if the scammer crawls out of his hole and provides the credit card company with extensive documentation and affidavits about how up-and-up they are. There is no way that such fly-by-night guys will choose to follow this likely fruitless path. Rather, they will forfeit the revenue from the charge and shortly reappear with a new identity and set of phone numbers.
Miggles and chavala like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
None of the armchair internet lawyer hairsplitting about whether this is legally "fraud" matters. Your credit card company will definitely make you whole.
dhuey, Miggles, jib71 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I’d like to see a major airline using the full might of its legal department to go after these guys.
jsloan and jiajun like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
For kicks I called the number OP provided but it’s no longer in service. Total scam. I have zero tolerance for crap like this and have no issue using every resource to see people like this brought to justice.
DH, jsloan, Miggles and 6 others like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I think you are on pretty firm ground with the credit card company. You paid for a service "ticket change" and did not receive the service. In fact, you have to pay it again (to the real UA). I think that alone should be enough. Add in some details about the fake number, I think it will be obvious to the credit card company what is going on.
Miggles likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Did the OP pay to change or to cancel? AFAIK Op didn't yet know the desired rebooking date, so it was an exorbitant $200 just to cancel, which is not the same as getting the remaining credit after a change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.