Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Scammed by a fake UA call center {Consoldiated}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scammed by a fake UA call center {Consoldiated}

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2023, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Only thing to add for OP beyond whats been already said regarding checking your reservation to make sure your return in order (which I suspect it is, the "600 credit" they gave was probably from voluntarily adjusting the ticket to be the one way return only), is to write in to UA separately at united.com/feedback to let them know about the scam number you encountered when trying to find the correct UA contact information. They take these cases seriously and their corporate security department works extensively to get these types of scams shut down when they pop up. .It's unlikely to be able to get you your money back, but sending it in ensures a case gets opened for the right department to investigate it and reduce the chance others get scammed, and who knows they might even throw some goodwill your way.
I'm confused as to how a 3rd party (e.g. "the scammer") is able to change a UA ticket after the first flight has been flown. Do they have to actually call UA and pose as the traveler?

In this case, did they just buy an EK flight for the OP? Wouldn't UA cancel the rest of the reservation for a missed flight?

Seems very strange how this whole scam actually works.
Old May 8, 2023, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tods27
I'm confused as to how a 3rd party (e.g. "the scammer") is able to change a UA ticket after the first flight has been flown. Do they have to actually call UA and pose as the traveler?
I suspect they simply pull up the PNR on United.com with the information provided by the caller.

In this case, did they just buy an EK flight for the OP?
Yes, probably with a significant service charge passed along.

Wouldn't UA cancel the rest of the reservation for a missed flight?
OP needs to check that, but in general, the agent would have had the same ability to make changes that the caller did, including dropping a flight segment.

Seems very strange how this whole scam actually works.
It only works because the agents actually do what they say they're doing -- which is why they're difficult to defeat in a chargeback. OP agreed to the charge, and they provided the service that OP asked for. Would OP have been willing to pay the service charge if the scammers had been up front? Probably not, which is why there's so much deception. But, at the end of the day, it's as if Scam Travel, Inc. was your travel agent from the beginning.
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old May 8, 2023, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Not meaning to pile-on, but a traveler should always have their carrier's CS phone # committed to memory or loaded into their contacts. Also, it can be very helpful if you look at all the rerouting options online before you get on the phone with CS. If you already know the flights you want when you call, things will move faster.

The United app has a "Contact us" section, Delta, AA, LH, LX, SQ and Air Canada all have similar sections - this way i don't have to remember a myriad of numbers - you will also have a lengthy hold most of the time, if you don't have high status and get thru immediately - something is probably wrong.
SPN Lifer, TXJeepGuy and hhdl like this.
Old May 8, 2023, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Also since the OP has not flown the EWR-DXB leg on his original ticket, the subsequent portions could be automatically cancelled unless action is taken.
Old May 8, 2023, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
I suspect they simply pull up the PNR on United.com with the information provided by the caller.

Yes, probably with a significant service charge passed along.

OP needs to check that, but in general, the agent would have had the same ability to make changes that the caller did, including dropping a flight segment.

It only works because the agents actually do what they say they're doing -- which is why they're difficult to defeat in a chargeback. OP agreed to the charge, and they provided the service that OP asked for. Would OP have been willing to pay the service charge if the scammers had been up front? Probably not, which is why there's so much deception. But, at the end of the day, it's as if Scam Travel, Inc. was your travel agent from the beginning.
I’m just curious though, what happens when you call the number and what do they say when answering the phone? If the person answering misrepresents themselves as United, it would seem that’s fraud and could be disputed with the credit card company. But I guess if they just purchased the ticket on the EK website and the segment was flown, that would be more difficult, but I would still argue that the caller thought they were authorizing United to make the charge, not the scam company. Maybe I answered my own question. Interesting all around…
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old May 8, 2023, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by prestonh
Phone numbers are on the tickets, email, in the app, and on the website.
I just looked at 4 paper tickets from my last trip and not one has a phone number. I have inconsistent results with the app, but will use it if it doesn't glitch-out on me.
Old May 8, 2023, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by musicfan92
I’m just curious though, what happens when you call the number and what do they say when answering the phone? If the person answering misrepresents themselves as United, it would seem that’s fraud and could be disputed with the credit card company. But I guess if they just purchased the ticket on the EK website and the segment was flown, that would be more difficult, but I would still argue that the caller thought they were authorizing United to make the charge, not the scam company. Maybe I answered my own question. Interesting all around…
I suspect they read from a script that is explicitly tailored to be legal without being ethical. For example, "Thank you for calling today. This is Bob, may I help you with your United flight?" The caller, who thinks they're calling United, doesn't notice that "Bob" didn't actually say they were a United rep. And, presumably Scam Travel, Inc. has purchased different numbers for each of their target airlines, so the phone system presumably prompts "Bob" with the correct script to use.
Old May 8, 2023, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by daleweston

or 888.292.7184
Don’t use that number!! It’s a scam! Don’t do it!

next time, you have to tell your real agent at the gate, not on the phone. Just go to see your gate agent!

Don’t call the fake agents. It’s very dangerous. They will steal your money. Just stay away from there!
nomad420 likes this.
Old May 8, 2023, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I just looked at 4 paper tickets from my last trip and not one has a phone number.
You're getting paper tickets on your last 4 trips??
Old May 8, 2023, 9:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I just looked at 4 paper tickets from my last trip and not one has a phone number. I have inconsistent results with the app, but will use it if it doesn't glitch-out on me.
Neither the email itin or the PDF BPs have the UA reservations telephone number (when preinted or electronic). Finding it on the app is a challenge
Old May 8, 2023, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Neither the email itin or the PDF BPs have the UA reservations telephone number (when preinted or electronic). Finding it on the app is a challenge
The phone number is on the back of every MP card, physical and virtual.
Old May 8, 2023, 10:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
The phone number is on the back of every MP card, physical and virtual.
On the android app, there are no backs displayed as it was years ago. But there is a Contact Us button on the card display and that then leads to a phone number -- as I said it was a bit of a challenge to find and it was not the first place I would look and certainty not for a less frequent flyer to find. Took 6 taps to get to. UA could make this a bit easier to find.

And doubtful a non-status flyer carries a card. I would guess many elites do not carry a carry which has not been provided for years.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 8, 2023 at 10:16 pm Reason: phyiscal card are not longer provided
Old May 8, 2023, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
On the android app, there are no backs displayed as it was years ago. But there is a Contact Us button on the card display and that then leads to a phone number -- as I said it was a bit of a challenge to find and it was not the first place I would look and certainty not for a less frequent flyer to find. Took 6 taps to get to. UA could make this a bit easier to find.

And doubtful a non-status flyer carries a card. I would guess many elites do not carry a carry which has not been provided for years.
Surprised the phone number isn’t easy to find on the Android virtual MP card. It’s pretty easy to find it on the iOS card. I suppose those who aren’t MP members would be the least likely to leave the airport without having new arrangements made by an agent… but that’s just my guess.
Old May 8, 2023, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by mduell
You're getting paper tickets on your last 4 trips??
When I'm on a contract job, I am required to present paper tickets as proof of travel.

In addition, I dislike the app and don't use it, even for personal travel.
SPN Lifer, uanj and vicontt like this.
Old May 9, 2023, 12:07 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
When I'm on a contract job, I am required to present paper tickets as proof of travel.

In addition, I dislike the app and don't use it, even for personal travel.
When I travel internationally I always have printed tickets. I don't want to be handing my phone to anyone for a number of reasons. But happy to let them look at a printout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.