Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Scammed by a fake UA call center {Consoldiated}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scammed by a fake UA call center {Consoldiated}

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2023, 12:27 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA put the QR codes up. OP is stating they weren't able to connect to the live agent that staffs the website those QR codes link to.

The QR codes themselves aren't shady (although, admittedly, an enterprising person could put up a fake QR code and nobody at UA would notice for months).
Maybe I misread it but it sounded like he scanned a QR code at the airport and got connected to the fraudsters? I see enough random QR codes slapped around these days that it wouldn't surprise me.
Old May 9, 2023, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy
Maybe I misread it but it sounded like he scanned a QR code at the airport and got connected to the fraudsters? I see enough random QR codes slapped around these days that it wouldn't surprise me.
Try read it again! There was a QR code scanned, and then there was a separate google search.

Originally Posted by daleweston
Hi all,

First thanks a ton for all your insight and advice. Greatly appreciated. Now for an update...

As most of you have already determined, we were not speaking to a UA agent. But there were plenty of opportunities for us to have noticed that. The email that arrived with the flight changes and charges to confirm was clearly marked with the actual name of the agency. And the agent's email address was also clearly indicating they were not UA. As for how we got there in the first place, there were notices all around the UA customer service area at EWR with a QR code to reach UA customer service on the phone rather than waiting in line. When we tried that there was no answer. It was at that point that the fateful google search turned up the fake number.

Also interesting is that two charges showed up on the credit card. One was from Emirates Air and one was from United. Not United Airlines, just United. So I'm guessing that the first one through Emirates is the actual cost of our tickets. The second is the cost of my error, charged through a merchant designed to look like an airline. They probably have several of these merchant accounts created to look like airline names.

One potential bright spot is that I have written confirmation of the promise of a refund for the unused EWRDXB UA flight. Oh, and there was nothing wrong with our return flight reservations, as some had suggested could have been the case. So if I don't get the refund I may try to use that as cause to dispute the additional charge. We will see.

All things considered, we did make it to Dubai for our meetings. And only money was lost. Live and learn.

Thanks again for all your help. Have a great day!
jsloan and zombietooth like this.
Old May 9, 2023, 1:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Moral of the story. Get a good travel agent that handles things for you personally and your go to for any changes. The service charge per ticket might seem excessive at first, especially if you're a frequent traveler, but trust me, as a 30-year flying veteran, it's worth it.
Old May 9, 2023, 1:27 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
(although, admittedly, an enterprising person could put up a fake QR code and nobody at UA would notice for months).
That is problematic . . .
Old May 9, 2023, 1:46 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Moral of the story. Get a good travel agent that handles things for you personally and your go to for any changes. The service charge per ticket might seem excessive at first, especially if you're a frequent traveler, but trust me, as a 30-year flying veteran, it's worth it.
People still use travel agents?
chavala likes this.
Old May 9, 2023, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
I've been flying 31 years, don't use TAs and haven't been scammed. Ymmv
MileTrek likes this.
Old May 9, 2023, 1:51 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by S.R
The few clients that don't let me book my own travel do and it is beyond obnoxious....every time "well have our travel department take care of everything, you'll love them" turn into a "it would be so much less work if I could just do this myself"... One in particular at least I can just send my preferred UA flight #s and times over, they'll reply with that and an AA option that's 20% more expensive and then book the UA option...but it is still annoying ... I don't see the value but different strokes for different folks.
BearX220 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 9, 2023, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by S.R
Yes. You or I might not, but it can be a huge peace of mind for some, especially infrequent travelers.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 11, 2023, 11:13 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
I would agree 98% of the times a travel agent seems like novelty and you're wondering if the added fee per ticket is really worth it. Until you hit a tropical storm/typhoon and 5000 passengers are competing against you to get out of the city ASAP, and then your call to the airlines has 6 hours wait time and most likely put you on the "next available flight" which is 5 days away. This is the time when a good travel agent (not the cheap ones, the ones that have special access with airlines) can work some magic for you and you'll be flying out as soon as the next seat becomes available. Like insurance, 98% of the times you don't need them and you're wondering are you wasting your money, until that 2% of the times S happens and you're glad someone competent is handling things for you, and while others are frantically calling airlines you sit in the bar drinking martini.
Old May 11, 2023, 6:36 pm

People here would find that less useful because a lot of us would be protected from the BS by GS (and presumably 1K?) support getting us on the next flight out, either proactively or with a relatively quick phone call.
Old May 12, 2023, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
To me the most amazing thing about this thread is how quickly WineCountryUA sniffed out the scam!
Old May 12, 2023, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
To me the most amazing thing about this thread is how quickly WineCountryUA sniffed out the scam!
Not to split hairs, but I do notice another poster who raised the idea a little bit earlier than that! (post 8)
Old May 12, 2023, 11:51 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
Not to split hairs, but I do notice another poster who raised the idea a little bit earlier than that! (post 8)
Agreed, I may have been the first to suggest a method to determine if it was a scammer.
Old May 12, 2023, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Still happening, neighbor recently "booked" international tickets from what he thought was a UA agent and was charged for services by "Bokito" . Saw the charges post before he even got off the phone and immediately cancelled all transactions through Chase in this case. Scams like this still exist and hard to believe people still fall for them.
Old May 12, 2023, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Agreed, I may have been the first to suggest a method to determine if it was a scammer.
Credit where it's due — the phone number suggestion is straight to the point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.