Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Skip the waitlist (STW) questions. (New Promo thru 31 July 2023?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 25, 2021, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Lux Flyer
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Yes it's a limited time promo in many CPU markets to help people use PlusPoints before they expire at the end of July. For flights through July 31st it should be offering StW when requested at least 2 weeks in advance (as opposed to typical 30 days for international).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...questions.html

Edit: here's the promo details they will email to you if you ask
Skip Waitlist
From time to time, our 1K members are able to use additional PlusPoints to receive a confirmed upgrade when traveling on select international long-haul flights.

When Skip Waitlist is available, you’re able to either request an upgrade on our standard waitlist using fewer PlusPoints, or use additional PlusPoints to skip the waitlist and confirm your upgrade right then and there, even if upgrade inventory is closed.

Skip Waitlist availability on international long-haul flights will vary; to be eligible, you must be traveling on an eligible fare*, and request your upgrade at least 30 days from departure

*Eligible fare classes include O, A, and R (for United Premium Plus to United Polaris business); Fare classes Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W (for Economy to United Polaris business); Fare classes Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, (for Economy to United Premium Plus).
T&Cs
  • The earning Premier member may use PlusPoints for upgrade requests for themselves or to sponsor others with the exception of “Skip Waitlist” upgrade requests, for which the earning Premier member must be traveling. Although the earning Premier member may use PlusPoints to request upgrades for others, PlusPoints are not transferable to other members.
  • PlusPoints used for Skip Waitlist upgrades are not refundable or transferable to other flights in the event of itinerary changes. A PlusPoints upgrade on a changed itinerary will require additional PlusPoints.
  • Skip Waitlist upgrades won’t be available for corporate and agency account travelers who are using upgrades from a Corporate Upgrade Bank account.
While previous just deep South America had STW available, it was first reported 14 June of availability selectively worldwide available tile 15 Sept 2021. Unknow if this will be extended in the future.

When is STW available?
First UA needs to decide the route is eligible and then ZN seems to be the key inventory requirement.
PN or PZ is not required (if they were the regular amount would be sufficient)
Appears to be no special/separate GS STW inventory

STW has generally been limited to deep South America except for a short period in late summer 2021 when some TATL STW was offered, never to be seen again.
New Promo 20 June 2023 till 31 July 2023 (to use expiring PlusPoints?)

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
So thanks to this promo and playing around with various flights the past day. I think there's enough data for how StW works, with the major deciding factor if it's offered being if UA has "enabled" StW for the market in question.

For StW it needs these 6 things:
Inventory (ZN for business/first; /ON for PremEcon), advance purchase met (30 days international, 14 days CPU market [promo]), eligible fare (W+ to Polaris, non-BE for PP/first), eligible market, and redeeming account is 1k/GS, redeeming account travelling on the PNR.

The StW segment(s) will confirm into PZ/RN, if there are other non-StW eligible segments in the line-of-flight they are considered "paid for" by the StW pricing and will waitlist as part of the request/process as any other waitlisted upgrade.

To summarize the different scenarios:

To find StW
-Redeeming account must be GS/1K and must be travelling on the PNR
-PlusPoints being used to StW must not expire prior to the flight (oldest, eligible PlusPoints taken first)
-Cannot have pending upgrade WL request

To Polaris
  • ZN inventory
  • 30+ days in advance
  • Fare class: non-award, published W or higher
  • Eligible market (only appears to be GRU, GIG, EZE, SCL, and LIM as of June 2023)
  • Cost per person; 140 PlusPoints from economy/110 PlusPoints from premium economy
  • Confirms into PZ
To Premium Plus
  • ON inventory (yes, it appears when StW is offered to PremiumPlus, it is effectively allowing last seat inventory)
  • 30+ days in advance
  • Fare class: any non-BE published revenue fare
  • Eligible market (only appears to be GRU, GIG, EZE, SCL, and LIM as of June 2023)
  • Cost per person; 70 PlusPoints
  • Confirms into RN
To First/non-Polaris/non-premium transcon business [June/July 2023 promo]
  • ZN inventory
  • 14+ days in advance/flight prior to or on July 31st (effectively July 17th is last day to book)
  • Fare class: any non-BE published revenue fare
  • Eligible market (basically CPU markets, see promo announcement)
  • Cost per person; 70 PlusPoints
  • Confirms into PZ
Refunds/Changes
-Voluntary: forfeits the upgrade and PlusPoints
-Involuntary: PlusPoints can be redeposited if not able to be accommodated in upgraded cabin
Print Wikipost

Skip the waitlist (STW) questions. (New Promo thru 31 July 2023?)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Kacee
I agree. While I think it's theoretically possible to mix and match, you may be limited by the underlying fare rules if you're, for example, trying to match an S with a W. This is a huge problem if you're trying to buy an NRT fare, for example.
If it turns out we are precluded from mixing and matching, and StW isn't available on both directions, then as far as I am concerned there is effectively a fee here -- or a new mutation of the egregious W fare "gamble" that currently exists for waitlisted GPUs, however you want to look at it.

Again, it could still be an improvement over the status quo - we're getting access to upgrade space that wasn't previously there - but I would still consider it effectively a fee.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
If it turns out we are precluded from mixing and matching
I see no reason to expect that will be the case. The TPG article even states that you can apply StW to a booking that's already in your account, so you could book the W/S combination (or whatever) and then apply StW immediately thereafter, but I really don't think it will come to that. The W fare requirement is no different than the W fare requirement on GPUs, prior to the new 80-point +P option, and that didn't require a roundtrip purchase in W or anything, unless you were upgrading in both directions.

I suppose you can call a W-fare requirement a "copay" of sorts, but, if so, it's no different than the same "copay" that a GPU required.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
If it turns out we are precluded from mixing and matching, and StW isn't available on both directions, then as far as I am concerned there is effectively a fee here -- or a new mutation of the egregious W fare "gamble" that currently exists for waitlisted GPUs, however you want to look at it.
It's not StW specific, it's driven by the W fare minimum, and was equally applicable two days ago if you wanted to upgrade (or waitlist) with a GPU.

UA could certainly mitigate the harshness of the W fare requirement by relaxing combinability restrictions on its international fares. Instead, many of its fares (I'm thinking particularly of the TYO fares) seem to deliberately exploit the W fare requirement by forcing a ridiculously high fare if you wish to upgrade with a GPU (or it's PP equivalent).
Old Dec 5, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador

UA could certainly mitigate the harshness of the W fare requirement by relaxing combinability restrictions on its international fares. Instead, many of its fares (I'm thinking particularly of the TYO fares) seem to deliberately exploit the W fare requirement by forcing a ridiculously high fare if you wish to upgrade with a GPU (or it's PP equivalent).
Yeah, I have seen $500 G fare with $1600 W.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kb1992
Yeah, I have seen $500 G fare with $1600 W.
What's really frustrating is they will often offer either an S or an H SFO-NRT, nothing in between. Or if you want to purchase business one way and upgrade the other, you can't, because the P or Z won't combine with any economy fare. And if you want to construct an OJ, you're often limited to a Y/B on the TYO segment.
kittiyut likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fatlasercat
At least 140 of which are valid past 1/31/2020?
It's also possible they are not showing the option for any flight departing before 1/31/20
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by jsloan
I suppose you can call a W-fare requirement a "copay" of sorts, but, if so, it's no different than the same "copay" that a GPU required.
It's not StW specific, it's driven by the W fare minimum, and was equally applicable two days ago if you wanted to upgrade (or waitlist) with a GPU.
Sure - it's not the W fare minimum I'm referring to as a fee (think they were clear that StW would only be available on some fares), it's more the situation Kacee seems to be alluding to. I wasn't really aware of these particular cases where city pairs tend to have W fares which lock through the whole reservation even when lower otherwise compliant fares are available for one leg, but in that case I do view it as a tax/fee on GPU usage if it's not confirmable in each direction.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Well, my survey for any TPAC upgrade space in mid Jan, midweek dates shows no PZ or PN space for any of SFO>TPE/HKG/SIN, IAH>NRT, EWR>HKG/NRT, so STW would be useless for me if it's coming from PN
FWI: I just did quick check. I just had time to check Tokyo. Thursday 5:45PM YYZ time I found following:
LAX-NRT: 21 JAN PZ 4, 22 JAN PZ 5 , 28 JAN PZ 8,
7 JAN, 14 JAN, & 28 JAN SFO-NRT from PZ 3-PZ 6.
Return NRT-LAX, available on Thurs in JAN .

Later tonight I will check, TPE & HKG
bocastephen likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by nomad420
Kind of a bummer, had this been in effect I would have dumped my expiring points into my trip to EZE later this month. I would have just bought E instead of Polaris and dumped my points. From what i see it would have been 140 points but if you loosing them why not use them. Well good to know going forward but no international coming back up until second quarter 2020.
I would have dumped my 180 on my trip to EZE tonight. Instead, I will likely die at #1 on the waiting list, since I may not be traveling internationally again until after 4/30. Of course, since I will be extending 80 points to 4/30, I may have to book an international flight!
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by SS255
I would have dumped my 180 on my trip to EZE tonight. Instead, I will likely die at #1 on the waiting list, since I may not be traveling internationally again until after 4/30. Of course, since I will be extending 80 points to 4/30, I may have to book an international flight!
If its any consolation my understanding this doesn't start until flights for next year. Funny, but I am thinking of trying to book something mid April to dump my points on a StW if possible but it is looking iffy just now.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:21 pm

After running a bunch of searches for US-SA routes, where UA is now offering the StW option, here are my conclusions and an inventory hypothesis:

1. StW is definitely only being offered on flights beginning February 1, 2020. So no dice for those with expiring PP.
2. Currently, the StW option is only being offered on Polaris flights - i.e., not offered on IAH-BOG or IAH-PTY.
3. The website's upgrade search function is extremely, painfully slow.

Now for inventory. I looked at around 50 flights. If ZN>0, StW was offered. If ZN=0, it was not. So the hypothesis is that ZN>0 is the necessary condition for StW availability. So availability is enhanced for GS as well as 1K, since ZN availability is much better than PN (which is in turn much better than PZ).
Kimo, jsloan, kb1992 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I thought this was blocked for GS but I expanded my search and found the skip option to south america. I am guessing this is going to be route specific - meaning not all routes will have this option.

The harder upgrade routes likely still will not get this option --- thats my guess at least. SIN-SFO, for example...... just checked a flight that's ZN9 and it's still not an option.

Disappointing if it won't apply to all routes. I'd pay 4x for SFO-SIN to skip.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by avi8tir
I thought this was blocked for GS but I expanded my search and found the skip option to south america. I am guessing this is going to be route specific - meaning not all routes will have this option.

The harder upgrade routes likely still will not get this option --- thats my guess at least. SIN-SFO, for example......

Disappointing if it won't apply to all routes. I'd pay 4x for SFO-SIN to skip.
I believe what's blocked is StW for award tickets for GS. While GS could (can) use GPU for an award ticket upgrade, StW is not eligible on these tickets. You can still use 40 PlusPoints for an upgrade, however.

-RM
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After running a bunch of searches for US-SA routes, where UA is now offering the StW option, here are my conclusions and an inventory hypothesis:

1. StW is definitely only being offered on flights beginning February 1, 2020. So no dice for those with expiring PP.
2. Currently, the StW option is only being offered on Polaris flights - i.e., not offered on IAH-BOG or IAH-PTY.
3. The website's upgrade search function is extremely, painfully slow.

Now for inventory. I looked at around 50 flights. If ZN>0, StW was offered. If ZN=0, it was not. So the hypothesis is that ZN>0 is the necessary condition for StW availability. So availability is enhanced for GS as well as 1K, since ZN availability is much better than PN (which is in turn much better than PZ).
Very nice summary. Was the pricing always +100 PlusPoints (differential) when available, or did it vary?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Very nice summary. Was the pricing always +100 PlusPoints (differential) when available, or did it vary?
It was always 140 PP.
Originally Posted by avi8tir
SIN-SFO, for example...... just checked a flight that's ZN9 and it's still not an option.
As previously noted, StW is not yet available on any TPAC or TATLs. Your conclusions are unsupported.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.