Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Skip the waitlist (STW) questions. (New Promo thru 31 July 2023?)

Old Apr 25, 2021, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Lux Flyer
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Yes it's a limited time promo in many CPU markets to help people use PlusPoints before they expire at the end of July. For flights through July 31st it should be offering StW when requested at least 2 weeks in advance (as opposed to typical 30 days for international).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...questions.html

Edit: here's the promo details they will email to you if you ask
Skip Waitlist
From time to time, our 1K members are able to use additional PlusPoints to receive a confirmed upgrade when traveling on select international long-haul flights.

When Skip Waitlist is available, you’re able to either request an upgrade on our standard waitlist using fewer PlusPoints, or use additional PlusPoints to skip the waitlist and confirm your upgrade right then and there, even if upgrade inventory is closed.

Skip Waitlist availability on international long-haul flights will vary; to be eligible, you must be traveling on an eligible fare*, and request your upgrade at least 30 days from departure

*Eligible fare classes include O, A, and R (for United Premium Plus to United Polaris business); Fare classes Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W (for Economy to United Polaris business); Fare classes Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, (for Economy to United Premium Plus).
T&Cs
  • The earning Premier member may use PlusPoints for upgrade requests for themselves or to sponsor others with the exception of “Skip Waitlist” upgrade requests, for which the earning Premier member must be traveling. Although the earning Premier member may use PlusPoints to request upgrades for others, PlusPoints are not transferable to other members.
  • PlusPoints used for Skip Waitlist upgrades are not refundable or transferable to other flights in the event of itinerary changes. A PlusPoints upgrade on a changed itinerary will require additional PlusPoints.
  • Skip Waitlist upgrades won’t be available for corporate and agency account travelers who are using upgrades from a Corporate Upgrade Bank account.
While previous just deep South America had STW available, it was first reported 14 June of availability selectively worldwide available tile 15 Sept 2021. Unknow if this will be extended in the future.

When is STW available?
First UA needs to decide the route is eligible and then ZN seems to be the key inventory requirement.
PN or PZ is not required (if they were the regular amount would be sufficient)
Appears to be no special/separate GS STW inventory

STW has generally been limited to deep South America except for a short period in late summer 2021 when some TATL STW was offered, never to be seen again.
New Promo 20 June 2023 till 31 July 2023 (to use expiring PlusPoints?)

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
So thanks to this promo and playing around with various flights the past day. I think there's enough data for how StW works, with the major deciding factor if it's offered being if UA has "enabled" StW for the market in question.

For StW it needs these 6 things:
Inventory (ZN for business/first; /ON for PremEcon), advance purchase met (30 days international, 14 days CPU market [promo]), eligible fare (W+ to Polaris, non-BE for PP/first), eligible market, and redeeming account is 1k/GS, redeeming account travelling on the PNR.

The StW segment(s) will confirm into PZ/RN, if there are other non-StW eligible segments in the line-of-flight they are considered "paid for" by the StW pricing and will waitlist as part of the request/process as any other waitlisted upgrade.

To summarize the different scenarios:

To find StW
-Redeeming account must be GS/1K and must be travelling on the PNR
-PlusPoints being used to StW must not expire prior to the flight (oldest, eligible PlusPoints taken first)
-Cannot have pending upgrade WL request

To Polaris
  • ZN inventory
  • 30+ days in advance
  • Fare class: non-award, published W or higher
  • Eligible market (only appears to be GRU, GIG, EZE, SCL, and LIM as of June 2023)
  • Cost per person; 140 PlusPoints from economy/110 PlusPoints from premium economy
  • Confirms into PZ
To Premium Plus
  • ON inventory (yes, it appears when StW is offered to PremiumPlus, it is effectively allowing last seat inventory)
  • 30+ days in advance
  • Fare class: any non-BE published revenue fare
  • Eligible market (only appears to be GRU, GIG, EZE, SCL, and LIM as of June 2023)
  • Cost per person; 70 PlusPoints
  • Confirms into RN
To First/non-Polaris/non-premium transcon business [June/July 2023 promo]
  • ZN inventory
  • 14+ days in advance/flight prior to or on July 31st (effectively July 17th is last day to book)
  • Fare class: any non-BE published revenue fare
  • Eligible market (basically CPU markets, see promo announcement)
  • Cost per person; 70 PlusPoints
  • Confirms into PZ
Refunds/Changes
-Voluntary: forfeits the upgrade and PlusPoints
-Involuntary: PlusPoints can be redeposited if not able to be accommodated in upgraded cabin
Print Wikipost

Skip the waitlist (STW) questions. (New Promo thru 31 July 2023?)

Old Jan 1, 2020, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mabatross1
Wonder how they will do the advance confirm for double the points...wonder if they will use PN for 1k 30 days before?
You’re referring to Skip the Waitlist. So far, they’ve been using ZN class for 140 points (not double: 3.5x, actually). However, it’s only been available on select routes (long-haul South America flights). I suspect they will be rolling the feature out to more regions over the first half of 2020, as they get a feeling for the uptake rate.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriot Platinum, LH FTl, Hertz PC
Skip the waitlist news - available outside SA routings ?

Am I the only one who has tons of points and wants to use them on non South America routings in close distance before they expire end of April ? 1K hotline told me that there will be updates on January 1st regarding use of STW. I have a Polaris routing (AKL-SFO) with ZN availability and no option to use STW still. Any updates on this one ?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by djtn
Am I the only one who has tons of points and wants to use them on non South America routings in close distance before they expire end of April ? 1K hotline told me that there will be updates on January 1st regarding use of STW. I have a Polaris routing (AKL-SFO) with ZN availability and no option to use STW still. Any updates on this one ?
There has been wide speculation that a January release of further STW routes will happen. This would make sense considering STW cannot be used at less than the 30 day mark. Releasing something after January 1 would ensure all of us with points expiring 1/31/20 could not use those points for STW. Further, the most points you can have that expire 4/30/20 would be 80. Based on the points required for South America, you'll have to dip into your 1/31/21 expiring points for even a single STW upgrade.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriot Platinum, LH FTl, Hertz PC
I don‘t care about spending 280 points for STWL as my NZL Travel will be my last one with United. I‘ll go with LH from now on.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
STW has only been available post Feb. 1, even on the SA routes. So there is nothing magical about January 1. We can speculate on why there hasn’t been a broader release. My guesses are either IT issues or they are using SA as a test to gauge demand at the 140 point level. They could price higher or change the inventory restriction if there’s too much demand at the 140/ZN levels.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Any indications of when UA is planning on rolling out this functionality more broadly? It's kind of frustrating for folks who have extended their PlusPoints and cannot burn 'em off before end of April because it is only being allowed for one region...
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Perhaps we will never see anything but SA . . . after all, UA states that StW will only be available on "select flights."

How're the program enhancements going so far? Everyone getting their $24,000 worth?
Old Sep 26, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Has anyone tried this so far? I don't even know how you can check if this option is available?
Old Sep 26, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Has anyone tried this so far? I don't even know how you can check if this option is available?
I'd love the opportunity to use some of my PlusPoints, and have tried to find UG avail. on every one of my 50+ segments on UA so far this year, and have never found any STW offers.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Although they made an announcement a couple of months ago, in practice, I don't think this was rolled out any further than South America.

If you do a search for upgrade availability (in the advanced search), if there is a Skip-the-Waitlist option, you'll see it there.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
I doubt you'll see many STW offers till 2022. Currently, there are a huge number of plus points in the ecosystem for a variety of reasons:

1. The scheduled 2020 1K culling didn't happen as they were extended till Jan 22
2. All these 1Ks will be awarded a fresh allocation of PPs in Jan 21
3. Additionally, the 2020 PPs were unused by most and have been extended till July 31, 2021.

Interestingly, the 7 months between Jan 21 and July 21 will see more upgrade currency in the UA ecosystem than at any point in UA's history. UA simply cannot afford to allow all this upgrade currency to take seats away from paying J passengers.

So the bottom line is STW (and far-out PZ) will be rare in 2021.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I'd love the opportunity to use some of my PlusPoints, and have tried to find UG avail. on every one of my 50+ segments on UA so far this year, and have never found any STW offers.
U
yes just said a couple weeks ago that they will he expanding STW worldwide
Old Sep 26, 2020, 6:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So we can stay on just the STW issue here, the discussion of
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
....Currently, there are a huge number of plus points in the ecosystem for a variety of reasons:

1. The scheduled 2020 1K culling didn't happen as they were extended till Jan 22
2. All these 1Ks will be awarded a fresh allocation of PPs in Jan 21
3. Additionally, the 2020 PPs were unused by most and have been extended till July 31, 2021.

Interestingly, the 7 months between Jan 21 and July 21 will see more upgrade currency in the UA ecosystem than at any point in UA's history. .....
has been moved to UA • CONFIRMS • Status Extension to JAN 2022; PQP Thresholds Reduced by ˝ for 2020

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
United insider said that STW will be heavily expanded before the end of the year! great news! something we never had before is only good news.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
United insider said that STW will be heavily expanded before the end of the year! great news! something we never had before is only good news.
Oh great. So that we can spend more points to upgrade into empty cabins, since advance TPAC upgrade space continues to be zeroed out across the board.
MBS MillionMiler likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.