Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Skip the waitlist (STW) questions. (New Promo thru 31 July 2023?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 25, 2021, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Lux Flyer
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Yes it's a limited time promo in many CPU markets to help people use PlusPoints before they expire at the end of July. For flights through July 31st it should be offering StW when requested at least 2 weeks in advance (as opposed to typical 30 days for international).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...questions.html

Edit: here's the promo details they will email to you if you ask
Skip Waitlist
From time to time, our 1K members are able to use additional PlusPoints to receive a confirmed upgrade when traveling on select international long-haul flights.

When Skip Waitlist is available, you’re able to either request an upgrade on our standard waitlist using fewer PlusPoints, or use additional PlusPoints to skip the waitlist and confirm your upgrade right then and there, even if upgrade inventory is closed.

Skip Waitlist availability on international long-haul flights will vary; to be eligible, you must be traveling on an eligible fare*, and request your upgrade at least 30 days from departure

*Eligible fare classes include O, A, and R (for United Premium Plus to United Polaris business); Fare classes Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W (for Economy to United Polaris business); Fare classes Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, (for Economy to United Premium Plus).
T&Cs
  • The earning Premier member may use PlusPoints for upgrade requests for themselves or to sponsor others with the exception of “Skip Waitlist” upgrade requests, for which the earning Premier member must be traveling. Although the earning Premier member may use PlusPoints to request upgrades for others, PlusPoints are not transferable to other members.
  • PlusPoints used for Skip Waitlist upgrades are not refundable or transferable to other flights in the event of itinerary changes. A PlusPoints upgrade on a changed itinerary will require additional PlusPoints.
  • Skip Waitlist upgrades won’t be available for corporate and agency account travelers who are using upgrades from a Corporate Upgrade Bank account.
While previous just deep South America had STW available, it was first reported 14 June of availability selectively worldwide available tile 15 Sept 2021. Unknow if this will be extended in the future.

When is STW available?
First UA needs to decide the route is eligible and then ZN seems to be the key inventory requirement.
PN or PZ is not required (if they were the regular amount would be sufficient)
Appears to be no special/separate GS STW inventory

STW has generally been limited to deep South America except for a short period in late summer 2021 when some TATL STW was offered, never to be seen again.
New Promo 20 June 2023 till 31 July 2023 (to use expiring PlusPoints?)

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
So thanks to this promo and playing around with various flights the past day. I think there's enough data for how StW works, with the major deciding factor if it's offered being if UA has "enabled" StW for the market in question.

For StW it needs these 6 things:
Inventory (ZN for business/first; /ON for PremEcon), advance purchase met (30 days international, 14 days CPU market [promo]), eligible fare (W+ to Polaris, non-BE for PP/first), eligible market, and redeeming account is 1k/GS, redeeming account travelling on the PNR.

The StW segment(s) will confirm into PZ/RN, if there are other non-StW eligible segments in the line-of-flight they are considered "paid for" by the StW pricing and will waitlist as part of the request/process as any other waitlisted upgrade.

To summarize the different scenarios:

To find StW
-Redeeming account must be GS/1K and must be travelling on the PNR
-PlusPoints being used to StW must not expire prior to the flight (oldest, eligible PlusPoints taken first)
-Cannot have pending upgrade WL request

To Polaris
  • ZN inventory
  • 30+ days in advance
  • Fare class: non-award, published W or higher
  • Eligible market (only appears to be GRU, GIG, EZE, SCL, and LIM as of June 2023)
  • Cost per person; 140 PlusPoints from economy/110 PlusPoints from premium economy
  • Confirms into PZ
To Premium Plus
  • ON inventory (yes, it appears when StW is offered to PremiumPlus, it is effectively allowing last seat inventory)
  • 30+ days in advance
  • Fare class: any non-BE published revenue fare
  • Eligible market (only appears to be GRU, GIG, EZE, SCL, and LIM as of June 2023)
  • Cost per person; 70 PlusPoints
  • Confirms into RN
To First/non-Polaris/non-premium transcon business [June/July 2023 promo]
  • ZN inventory
  • 14+ days in advance/flight prior to or on July 31st (effectively July 17th is last day to book)
  • Fare class: any non-BE published revenue fare
  • Eligible market (basically CPU markets, see promo announcement)
  • Cost per person; 70 PlusPoints
  • Confirms into PZ
Refunds/Changes
-Voluntary: forfeits the upgrade and PlusPoints
-Involuntary: PlusPoints can be redeposited if not able to be accommodated in upgraded cabin
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2019, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Anyone see any "Skip Waitlist" availability? Wondering what it looks like when searching, or if you need to do it after the fact.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by ericericeric
Anyone see any "Skip Waitlist" availability? Wondering what it looks like when searching, or if you need to do it after the fact.
That's what I am looking for too.
Nothing yet....just "Waitlist".

I fear they are going to be extremely elusive!
Old Dec 4, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriot Platinum, LH FTl, Hertz PC
Skip the waitlist (STW) questions

According to an information given by a 1K call agent, skip the waitlist will be kicked off in January. Unclear yet how many additional points will be required for switching an existing upgrade request on waitlist to confirmed. Also unclear what kind of flights will be selected for the STW option and also at what point of time (TOD - 90/60/45days), agent was guessing about significant P fare class availability whatever that means (being P<9 30 days ahead good enough ?).
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plat, SPG/M P75 and few from CC
Guess it's time to start a master thread reporting STW occurance (Route, Date, Purchased fare, T-XXdays, Points required, and fare buckets availability at time of offer)
Old Dec 4, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Can we now start using the "skip the wait-list" option yet?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Juventini
Guess it's time to start a master thread reporting STW occurance (Route, Date, Purchased fare, T-XXdays, Points required, and fare buckets availability at time of offer)
This - really interested to see what shows up for folks. I don't have any international trips on the itinerary ATM, so curious to see what shows up for people as offers - even if they do not redeem.

ETA: I just checked a domestic itinerary for kicks, and it does not appear that 'Skip The Waitlist' is an available option for domestic legs.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Has United indicated if you'll be able to see the "skip the waitlist" price at the time of booking? I want to book a ticket to Dublin and have 320 plus points. I want to use them to confirm a seat in business and this is 7+ months out. But I'm afraid I'm going to book the ticket and then have to go through the normal process to request (which I've always done after booking) and see it costs 9 billion plus points.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:06 am

Any idea how to check if I can use skip the waitlist?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
As said before, this is another mean spirited decision by United. 600 of my 960 points expire in January, so the logical decision would be to use them to skip the waitlists before they expire. United knows this will be an issue for a lot of people, so rather than being forced to give up a lot of guaranteed upgrades, they will not activate skip the waitlist until people’s points expire in January.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:15 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Search SIN-SFO after Jan 1. The co-pay is $1435 and 40 points!!!!
Pretty sure that's the fare, not a co-pay. I replicated Feb 11th - 19th, SFO-SIN. Fare is $1395 + 40 points, or a deep discount fare is $780 + 80 points.

I waited for this to come out to book, as I was hoping for some StW space for January...Has anyone actually found 'skip the waitlist' space? I've got NOTHING I can see. (My eyes scan for 80-point availability, and it only draws to upgrading cheaper fares like above). So it looks like booking Premium Economy and waitlisting is my only option.

I hate the new interface--as everything else on the web now, too clumsy...However, being able to search for confirmed upgrade space is nice, by clicking the "Available Only" radio button (unfortunately, every search I've done yields blanks for me).
Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
As said before, this is another mean spirited decision by United. 600 of my 960 points expire in January, so the logical decision would be to use them to skip the waitlists before they expire. United knows this will be an issue for a lot of people, so rather than being forced to give up a lot of guaranteed upgrades, they will not activate skip the waitlist until people’s points expire in January.
Yes, many members here were planning to burn their expiring PP on skip the waitlist upgrades.

This program "upgrade" is not starting well.
Markie and SAPriorityTag like this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
They expire at the end of the month, does the STW start on January 31st?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler

I waited for this to come out to book, as I was hoping for some StW space for January...Has anyone actually found 'skip the waitlist' space? I've got NOTHING I can see.
According to a previous post, StW won't be available until the new year (unconfirmed information).

In any event, some seem to think every flight will have a StW option. This won't be the case, and my guess is, they'll selectively make them available to squeeze the max. amount of PP out of us on a few desirable routes.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by AugustusM
They expire at the end of the month, does the STW start on January 31st?
https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...ordion-faq-15]
"These requests must be placed at least 30 days from departure and cannot be changed or refunded."
So you must request at least 30 days in advance. Rumour has it StW starts on Jan 1. So, you can do it for your Jan 31 flight, I guess!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 4, 2019 at 10:14 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ryman554
https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...ordion-faq-15]
"These requests must be placed at least 30 days from departure and cannot be changed or refunded."
So you must request at least 30 days in advance. Rumour has it StW starts on Jan 1. So, you can do it for your Jan 31 flight, I guess!
I guess my point was they wont evaporate on Jan1 and it gives you 31 days to apply them to any flight you have booked after Jan 31 if that rule is in effect.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 4, 2019 at 10:14 am Reason: repaired quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.