Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Skip the waitlist (STW) questions. (New Promo thru 31 July 2023?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 25, 2021, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Lux Flyer
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Yes it's a limited time promo in many CPU markets to help people use PlusPoints before they expire at the end of July. For flights through July 31st it should be offering StW when requested at least 2 weeks in advance (as opposed to typical 30 days for international).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...questions.html

Edit: here's the promo details they will email to you if you ask
Skip Waitlist
From time to time, our 1K members are able to use additional PlusPoints to receive a confirmed upgrade when traveling on select international long-haul flights.

When Skip Waitlist is available, you’re able to either request an upgrade on our standard waitlist using fewer PlusPoints, or use additional PlusPoints to skip the waitlist and confirm your upgrade right then and there, even if upgrade inventory is closed.

Skip Waitlist availability on international long-haul flights will vary; to be eligible, you must be traveling on an eligible fare*, and request your upgrade at least 30 days from departure

*Eligible fare classes include O, A, and R (for United Premium Plus to United Polaris business); Fare classes Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W (for Economy to United Polaris business); Fare classes Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, (for Economy to United Premium Plus).
T&Cs
  • The earning Premier member may use PlusPoints for upgrade requests for themselves or to sponsor others with the exception of “Skip Waitlist” upgrade requests, for which the earning Premier member must be traveling. Although the earning Premier member may use PlusPoints to request upgrades for others, PlusPoints are not transferable to other members.
  • PlusPoints used for Skip Waitlist upgrades are not refundable or transferable to other flights in the event of itinerary changes. A PlusPoints upgrade on a changed itinerary will require additional PlusPoints.
  • Skip Waitlist upgrades won’t be available for corporate and agency account travelers who are using upgrades from a Corporate Upgrade Bank account.
While previous just deep South America had STW available, it was first reported 14 June of availability selectively worldwide available tile 15 Sept 2021. Unknow if this will be extended in the future.

When is STW available?
First UA needs to decide the route is eligible and then ZN seems to be the key inventory requirement.
PN or PZ is not required (if they were the regular amount would be sufficient)
Appears to be no special/separate GS STW inventory

STW has generally been limited to deep South America except for a short period in late summer 2021 when some TATL STW was offered, never to be seen again.
New Promo 20 June 2023 till 31 July 2023 (to use expiring PlusPoints?)

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
So thanks to this promo and playing around with various flights the past day. I think there's enough data for how StW works, with the major deciding factor if it's offered being if UA has "enabled" StW for the market in question.

For StW it needs these 6 things:
Inventory (ZN for business/first; /ON for PremEcon), advance purchase met (30 days international, 14 days CPU market [promo]), eligible fare (W+ to Polaris, non-BE for PP/first), eligible market, and redeeming account is 1k/GS, redeeming account travelling on the PNR.

The StW segment(s) will confirm into PZ/RN, if there are other non-StW eligible segments in the line-of-flight they are considered "paid for" by the StW pricing and will waitlist as part of the request/process as any other waitlisted upgrade.

To summarize the different scenarios:

To find StW
-Redeeming account must be GS/1K and must be travelling on the PNR
-PlusPoints being used to StW must not expire prior to the flight (oldest, eligible PlusPoints taken first)
-Cannot have pending upgrade WL request

To Polaris
  • ZN inventory
  • 30+ days in advance
  • Fare class: non-award, published W or higher
  • Eligible market (only appears to be GRU, GIG, EZE, SCL, and LIM as of June 2023)
  • Cost per person; 140 PlusPoints from economy/110 PlusPoints from premium economy
  • Confirms into PZ
To Premium Plus
  • ON inventory (yes, it appears when StW is offered to PremiumPlus, it is effectively allowing last seat inventory)
  • 30+ days in advance
  • Fare class: any non-BE published revenue fare
  • Eligible market (only appears to be GRU, GIG, EZE, SCL, and LIM as of June 2023)
  • Cost per person; 70 PlusPoints
  • Confirms into RN
To First/non-Polaris/non-premium transcon business [June/July 2023 promo]
  • ZN inventory
  • 14+ days in advance/flight prior to or on July 31st (effectively July 17th is last day to book)
  • Fare class: any non-BE published revenue fare
  • Eligible market (basically CPU markets, see promo announcement)
  • Cost per person; 70 PlusPoints
  • Confirms into PZ
Refunds/Changes
-Voluntary: forfeits the upgrade and PlusPoints
-Involuntary: PlusPoints can be redeposited if not able to be accommodated in upgraded cabin
Print Wikipost

Skip the waitlist (STW) questions. (New Promo thru 31 July 2023?)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:20 am

Anyone know how to skip waitlist?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, many members here were planning to burn their expiring PP on skip the waitlist upgrades.

This program "upgrade" is not starting well.
I don't see it that way. There's no way everyone can skip the waitlist at once. That would just result in... a waitlist.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Just learned GS can't use Skip the Waitlist on award tickets - we can only apply points for standard waitlist. Too bad - I was hoping to STW on upcoming travel to Aruba and NRT-EWR next March. I have 760 Plus Points that will expire end of January...
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I don't see it that way. There's no way everyone can skip the waitlist at once. That would just result in... a waitlist.
Surge pricing?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by AugustusM
Originally Posted by ryman554
https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...ordion-faq-15]
"These requests must be placed at least 30 days from departure and cannot be changed or refunded."
So you must request at least 30 days in advance. Rumour has it StW starts on Jan 1. So, you can do it for your Jan 31 flight, I guess!
I guess my point was they wont evaporate on Jan1 and it gives you 31 days to apply them to any flight you have booked after Jan 31 if that rule is in effect.
The ones that expire 1/31/2020 *will* expire on Jan 31. It's *those* points which folks predicted would cause a rush due to the a) uncapped RPU earning form 2019 and b) unforseen conversion to PlusPoints creating a period of time where there are a lot of expiring points that wouldn't otherwise have been useful and were only available today.

So, if you can't StW until Jan 1, even though those points are there on Jan 2, you can't use them to StW since the point will expire before you fly.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 4, 2019 at 10:17 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes

The ones that expire 1/31/2020 *will* expire on Jan 31. It's *those* points which folks predicted would cause a rush due to the a) uncapped RPU earning form 2019 and b) unforseen conversion to PlusPoints creating a period of time where there are a lot of expiring points that wouldn't otherwise have been useful and were only available today.

So, if you can't StW until Jan 1, even though those points are there on Jan 2, you can't use them to StW since the point will expire before you fly.
which is the point I was making. United are making all soon to be expiring points unusable for skip the waitlist. This, as to be expected with United is in poor taste.
AceReport likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 4, 2019 at 10:18 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The wording suggests that it is "select" flights. I presume that once the number of passengers using STW exceeds some preset number, the option will end for that flight. Given that it is 30 days out, there may well be very limited number STW space on flights where RM indicates strong paid demand.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AV, AA, BA, CM, UA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
As said before, this is another mean spirited decision by United. 600 of my 960 points expire in January, so the logical decision would be to use them to skip the waitlists before they expire. United knows this will be an issue for a lot of people, so rather than being forced to give up a lot of guaranteed upgrades, they will not activate skip the waitlist until people’s points expire in January.
Siiii....exactamente!! I have the same problem. I have many hundreds of points but most expire in January. Meantime I have several international itins and I would use immediately in this way. You are right. But like many other people here I find it is enough with MP now. It is mostly the 1K recalifcation criteria but also the Chase Explorer MP Visa because now there is no relationship between card spend and elite level and at the same time now there is MP award pricing lo mejor dinamico!! Which means it is not worth making any effort to direct spend to these entities any longer.

Now I make no effort at all to spend money on UA or Chase. Probably more paid J on OALs. So like many the effect will be UA will lose 15k or more of revenue that I directed in preference to them. Now I will use TK or CA or BR and pay for their J.
Miggles and AceReport like this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond

which is the point I was making. United are making all soon to be expiring points unusable for skip the waitlist. This, as to be expected with United is in poor taste.
I guess if you're not and it's all last minute you're out of luck but I'm pretty sure most of us are already booking into next year.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 4, 2019 at 10:21 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
An entirely sensible move. Free yourself from being captive to any one carrier and fly the carrier which presents the best value for the specific ticket in question in terms of price, convenience, hard & soft product. On the other hand, do understand that if you do not have status on a carrier and are flying in Y that the grass may not be greener.
Miggles likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
I’m already well booked into next year, but the point I’m making is that United is blocking the use of expiring pluspoints for “skip the waitlist” until after they expire at end of January
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
PlusPoints all calculated correctly for me. Just applied 20 for a domestic upgrade and the status on the home page shows my total PlusPoints and "(20 requested)".

Question...has it been confirmed that PlusPoints are returned if you SDC and the upgrade is no longer confirmed? I know this does not apply to Skip The Waitlist upgrades but the FAQ does not cover whether standard upgrades are returned.

Thanks,
RM
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Who said "everyone"?

Many were hoping to use this benefit with expiring points. If the agent was correct (always an "if"), it appears none will be able to do that.

Nice way for UA to delay the benefit a month and thus remove the liability for expiring instruments from its books at zero cost. Fits perfectly with current management's overall approach to MP.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
I’m already well booked into next year, but the point I’m making is that United is blocking the use of expiring pluspoints for “skip the waitlist” until after they expire at end of January
I'm not following how. If they are allowing them to become active on Jan 1/2 and you have flights booked after Feb1/2 you can use them if I am understanding how this works.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by AugustusM
I'm not following how. If they are allowing them to become active on Jan 1/2 and you have flights booked after Feb1/2 you can use them if I am understanding how this works.
An instrument cannot be applied to a flight departing after the instrument's expiration date. If skip the waitlist is not available until January 2, it cannot be used for instruments that expire January 31.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.