Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Skip the waitlist (STW) questions. (New Promo thru 31 July 2023?)

Old Apr 25, 2021, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Lux Flyer
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Yes it's a limited time promo in many CPU markets to help people use PlusPoints before they expire at the end of July. For flights through July 31st it should be offering StW when requested at least 2 weeks in advance (as opposed to typical 30 days for international).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...questions.html

Edit: here's the promo details they will email to you if you ask
Skip Waitlist
From time to time, our 1K members are able to use additional PlusPoints to receive a confirmed upgrade when traveling on select international long-haul flights.

When Skip Waitlist is available, youre able to either request an upgrade on our standard waitlist using fewer PlusPoints, or use additional PlusPoints to skip the waitlist and confirm your upgrade right then and there, even if upgrade inventory is closed.

Skip Waitlist availability on international long-haul flights will vary; to be eligible, you must be traveling on an eligible fare*, and request your upgrade at least 30 days from departure

*Eligible fare classes include O, A, and R (for United Premium Plus to United Polaris business); Fare classes Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W (for Economy to United Polaris business); Fare classes Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, (for Economy to United Premium Plus).
T&Cs
  • The earning Premier member may use PlusPoints for upgrade requests for themselves or to sponsor others with the exception of Skip Waitlist upgrade requests, for which the earning Premier member must be traveling. Although the earning Premier member may use PlusPoints to request upgrades for others, PlusPoints are not transferable to other members.
  • PlusPoints used for Skip Waitlist upgrades are not refundable or transferable to other flights in the event of itinerary changes. A PlusPoints upgrade on a changed itinerary will require additional PlusPoints.
  • Skip Waitlist upgrades wont be available for corporate and agency account travelers who are using upgrades from a Corporate Upgrade Bank account.
While previous just deep South America had STW available, it was first reported 14 June of availability selectively worldwide available tile 15 Sept 2021. Unknow if this will be extended in the future.

When is STW available?
First UA needs to decide the route is eligible and then ZN seems to be the key inventory requirement.
PN or PZ is not required (if they were the regular amount would be sufficient)
Appears to be no special/separate GS STW inventory

STW has generally been limited to deep South America except for a short period in late summer 2021 when some TATL STW was offered, never to be seen again.
New Promo 20 June 2023 till 31 July 2023 (to use expiring PlusPoints?)

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
So thanks to this promo and playing around with various flights the past day. I think there's enough data for how StW works, with the major deciding factor if it's offered being if UA has "enabled" StW for the market in question.

For StW it needs these 6 things:
Inventory (ZN for business/first; /ON for PremEcon), advance purchase met (30 days international, 14 days CPU market [promo]), eligible fare (W+ to Polaris, non-BE for PP/first), eligible market, and redeeming account is 1k/GS, redeeming account travelling on the PNR.

The StW segment(s) will confirm into PZ/RN, if there are other non-StW eligible segments in the line-of-flight they are considered "paid for" by the StW pricing and will waitlist as part of the request/process as any other waitlisted upgrade.

To summarize the different scenarios:

To find StW
-Redeeming account must be GS/1K and must be travelling on the PNR
-PlusPoints being used to StW must not expire prior to the flight (oldest, eligible PlusPoints taken first)
-Cannot have pending upgrade WL request

To Polaris
  • ZN inventory
  • 30+ days in advance
  • Fare class: non-award, published W or higher
  • Eligible market (only appears to be GRU, GIG, EZE, SCL, and LIM as of June 2023)
  • Cost per person; 140 PlusPoints from economy/110 PlusPoints from premium economy
  • Confirms into PZ
To Premium Plus
  • ON inventory (yes, it appears when StW is offered to PremiumPlus, it is effectively allowing last seat inventory)
  • 30+ days in advance
  • Fare class: any non-BE published revenue fare
  • Eligible market (only appears to be GRU, GIG, EZE, SCL, and LIM as of June 2023)
  • Cost per person; 70 PlusPoints
  • Confirms into RN
To First/non-Polaris/non-premium transcon business [June/July 2023 promo]
  • ZN inventory
  • 14+ days in advance/flight prior to or on July 31st (effectively July 17th is last day to book)
  • Fare class: any non-BE published revenue fare
  • Eligible market (basically CPU markets, see promo announcement)
  • Cost per person; 70 PlusPoints
  • Confirms into PZ
Refunds/Changes
-Voluntary: forfeits the upgrade and PlusPoints
-Involuntary: PlusPoints can be redeposited if not able to be accommodated in upgraded cabin
Print Wikipost

Skip the waitlist (STW) questions. (New Promo thru 31 July 2023?)

Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA has stated that StW will only be available on Polaris routes.
And indeed, as noted above, that's consistent with what's showing to SA now - not available on BOG or PTY routings to deep SA.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
UA has stated that StW will only be available on Polaris routes.
Polaris here I come then! (maybe - my international travel has been going down) Thanks for the clarification.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:54 pm

now waitlisted for a flight on mid-Jan., applied GPUs a couple of months ago, somehow, I don't know how to use the STW? Shall I cancel the waitlist first?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:29 pm

Here's a good article on "Skip the Waitlist" by Zach at The Points Guy. I don't know about you guys, but 140 points seems very steep. At least in Zach's examples one is still able to clear an upgrade immediately if upgrade space / fare bucket is available.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...tlist-upgrade/
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by ryman554
I fail to see how throttling upgrade availability reduces the amount of upgrades being given [sic].

The term was "upgrade usability" not "upgrades being given", and maybe we need OP to define "usability".

My statement was quite clear (at least to me):

Less available upgrades would mean less upgrade usability.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rebyang
now waitlisted for a flight on mid-Jan., applied GPUs a couple of months ago, somehow, I don't know how to use the STW? Shall I cancel the waitlist first?
StW is not available for any January flights.

Originally Posted by ualboston1k
Here's a good article on "Skip the Waitlist" by Zach at The Points Guy. I don't know about you guys, but 140 points seems very steep. At least in Zach's examples one is still able to clear an upgrade immediately if upgrade space / fare bucket is available.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...tlist-upgrade/
We're way ahead of him
kb1992 and narvik like this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Kacee
If by "improve upgrade usability" you mean doubling or tripling the "price" of an upgrade, while at the same time increasing the likelihood the upgraded itinerary will never be flown due to a BE type structure (no changes, no refunds) yes that is undoubtedly one of UA's goals.

UA's ultimate goal here is to enhance UA profits, and these changes can only be properly understood if viewed through that lens. UA is doing what it can to create the illusion of value in the program while they rapidly devalue benefits, at the same time they are dramatically increasing qualification requirements. I certainly give them credit for skillful marketing.

I am thinking that UA is going to significantly improve cash usability in the near future by increasing attractive cash UG offers to prevent too many PlusPoints upgraders from exploiting the system.

In Kirby's dream revenue model, all seats will be sold and no non-cash UGs will be given, but "elites" will still feel valued and appreciated.

Last edited by zombietooth; Dec 6, 2019 at 4:54 pm
Old Dec 6, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
All RPUs expiring Jan 2020 are converted to PP expiring Jan. 2020.

Last edited by kb1992; Dec 6, 2019 at 5:05 pm
Old Dec 6, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Let's hope that STW doesn't adversely impact the already limited UG availability

Last edited by zombietooth; Dec 6, 2019 at 4:56 pm
Old Dec 7, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Wow Wow wow. For all the people who have unusable PPs expiring in Jan, I wish I could just take some of them and put myself on the waitlist for mine and my dad's upcoming EWR-BOM flights in January . We are already in Premium Plus though Polaris for a 15 hour flight doesn't sound bad.... But on a more serious note I would imagine having that many PPs means that surely you all fly very very frequently. Perhaps maybe splurge them on all upcoming flights prior to Jan even if its domestic routes?
Old Dec 8, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
None of those things actually improve upgrade usability. You know what would? Opening up more upgrade space. Or opening the StW functionality now. Or making StW last-seat available instead of sticking a capacity restriction on it. Heck, they haven't even told us how many points are going to be needed to use StW.

The notion that upgrade space is actually plentiful but is being sucked up by other customers is flawed, pure and simple. It's doubly flawed to assume that those customers will then either (a) not travel or (b) fly Economy, and that they won't be replaced by somebody else who is willing to pay for Business. To the extent that UA has done anything, it's reduced the number of instruments that will expire worthless at the end of the year.

No, that isn't how it will work. If PZ > 0, there is no waitlist to skip. The only time you will see StW is when PZ=0. The other necessary conditions haven't been published (or reverse-engineered) yet.
I assume that they will do the needful to protect last-minute availability of expensive full fares & protect incentives to purchase expensive refundable fares further in advance.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Except those kind of travelers will likely have difficulty with absolutely fixed, cannot be changed, travel plans. I know I will.
Right? To use StW to upgrade refundable tickets for business travel is a non-starter.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 8, 2019 at 2:08 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 8, 2019, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by physioprof
I assume that they will do the needful to protect last-minute availability of expensive full fares & protect incentives to purchase expensive refundable fares further in advance.
Well, I think requiring 30-day advance purchase for StW already a published requirement takes care of that.

Originally Posted by physioprof
Right? To use StW to upgrade refundable tickets for business travel is a non-starter.
Likely true, given that making any changes will invalidate the StW request and forfeit the points. UA is definitely not intending to target StW at business travel; expect them to tighten the restrictions further if that becomes common. The entire upgrade program, and StW in particular, is intended to be used for leisure travel. UA wants business travelers to purchase business class fares.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
140 points lol.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mnredfox
140 points lol.
If it is actually only 140 points, that is cheaper than I think many people had predicted. I will be pleased if that is the actual outcome.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As the overbooking discussion seems to have gotten far away from the Skip-the-Waitlist topic, pulled 10 posts out to create an overbooking discussion, How UA tries to optimize the load / yield? Role of overbooking

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.