Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Skip the waitlist (STW) questions. (New Promo thru 31 July 2023?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 25, 2021, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Lux Flyer
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Yes it's a limited time promo in many CPU markets to help people use PlusPoints before they expire at the end of July. For flights through July 31st it should be offering StW when requested at least 2 weeks in advance (as opposed to typical 30 days for international).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...questions.html

Edit: here's the promo details they will email to you if you ask
Skip Waitlist
From time to time, our 1K members are able to use additional PlusPoints to receive a confirmed upgrade when traveling on select international long-haul flights.

When Skip Waitlist is available, you’re able to either request an upgrade on our standard waitlist using fewer PlusPoints, or use additional PlusPoints to skip the waitlist and confirm your upgrade right then and there, even if upgrade inventory is closed.

Skip Waitlist availability on international long-haul flights will vary; to be eligible, you must be traveling on an eligible fare*, and request your upgrade at least 30 days from departure

*Eligible fare classes include O, A, and R (for United Premium Plus to United Polaris business); Fare classes Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W (for Economy to United Polaris business); Fare classes Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, (for Economy to United Premium Plus).
T&Cs
  • The earning Premier member may use PlusPoints for upgrade requests for themselves or to sponsor others with the exception of “Skip Waitlist” upgrade requests, for which the earning Premier member must be traveling. Although the earning Premier member may use PlusPoints to request upgrades for others, PlusPoints are not transferable to other members.
  • PlusPoints used for Skip Waitlist upgrades are not refundable or transferable to other flights in the event of itinerary changes. A PlusPoints upgrade on a changed itinerary will require additional PlusPoints.
  • Skip Waitlist upgrades won’t be available for corporate and agency account travelers who are using upgrades from a Corporate Upgrade Bank account.
While previous just deep South America had STW available, it was first reported 14 June of availability selectively worldwide available tile 15 Sept 2021. Unknow if this will be extended in the future.

When is STW available?
First UA needs to decide the route is eligible and then ZN seems to be the key inventory requirement.
PN or PZ is not required (if they were the regular amount would be sufficient)
Appears to be no special/separate GS STW inventory

STW has generally been limited to deep South America except for a short period in late summer 2021 when some TATL STW was offered, never to be seen again.
New Promo 20 June 2023 till 31 July 2023 (to use expiring PlusPoints?)

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
So thanks to this promo and playing around with various flights the past day. I think there's enough data for how StW works, with the major deciding factor if it's offered being if UA has "enabled" StW for the market in question.

For StW it needs these 6 things:
Inventory (ZN for business/first; /ON for PremEcon), advance purchase met (30 days international, 14 days CPU market [promo]), eligible fare (W+ to Polaris, non-BE for PP/first), eligible market, and redeeming account is 1k/GS, redeeming account travelling on the PNR.

The StW segment(s) will confirm into PZ/RN, if there are other non-StW eligible segments in the line-of-flight they are considered "paid for" by the StW pricing and will waitlist as part of the request/process as any other waitlisted upgrade.

To summarize the different scenarios:

To find StW
-Redeeming account must be GS/1K and must be travelling on the PNR
-PlusPoints being used to StW must not expire prior to the flight (oldest, eligible PlusPoints taken first)
-Cannot have pending upgrade WL request

To Polaris
  • ZN inventory
  • 30+ days in advance
  • Fare class: non-award, published W or higher
  • Eligible market (only appears to be GRU, GIG, EZE, SCL, and LIM as of June 2023)
  • Cost per person; 140 PlusPoints from economy/110 PlusPoints from premium economy
  • Confirms into PZ
To Premium Plus
  • ON inventory (yes, it appears when StW is offered to PremiumPlus, it is effectively allowing last seat inventory)
  • 30+ days in advance
  • Fare class: any non-BE published revenue fare
  • Eligible market (only appears to be GRU, GIG, EZE, SCL, and LIM as of June 2023)
  • Cost per person; 70 PlusPoints
  • Confirms into RN
To First/non-Polaris/non-premium transcon business [June/July 2023 promo]
  • ZN inventory
  • 14+ days in advance/flight prior to or on July 31st (effectively July 17th is last day to book)
  • Fare class: any non-BE published revenue fare
  • Eligible market (basically CPU markets, see promo announcement)
  • Cost per person; 70 PlusPoints
  • Confirms into PZ
Refunds/Changes
-Voluntary: forfeits the upgrade and PlusPoints
-Involuntary: PlusPoints can be redeposited if not able to be accommodated in upgraded cabin
Print Wikipost

Skip the waitlist (STW) questions. (New Promo thru 31 July 2023?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2021, 2:34 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
United insider said that STW will be heavily expanded before the end of the year! great news! something we never had before is only good news.
Do we have any updates on if STW has been expanded beyond South African route from before? I'm searching for international flights (e.g. ATH) and none of the options are so far showing me any "Skip the Waitlist" availabilities through search. Wasn't this supposed to show for international routes? I thought we could see these results when ZN>0?
Old Apr 23, 2021, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LyfeSaver
Do we have any updates on if STW has been expanded beyond South African route from before? I'm searching for international flights (e.g. ATH) and none of the options are so far showing me any "Skip the Waitlist" availabilities through search. Wasn't this supposed to show for international routes? I thought we could see these results when ZN>0?
I don't think we ever quite worked out what fare bucket would be used -- and you mean South American routes, not South African. The last I looked though -- maybe two weeks ago -- they hadn't been expanded, despite UA claiming that they would be doing so.

The economics on Skip the Waitlist aren't great for UA in an environment where people may only have 3-6 months to use 12 months' worth of PlusPoints. They'd likely get a higher uptake rate than they were planning when they launched the program.
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by jsloan
I don't think we ever quite worked out what fare bucket would be used -- and you mean South American routes, not South African. The last I looked though -- maybe two weeks ago -- they hadn't been expanded, despite UA claiming that they would be doing so.

The economics on Skip the Waitlist aren't great for UA in an environment where people may only have 3-6 months to use 12 months' worth of PlusPoints. They'd likely get a higher uptake rate than they were planning when they launched the program.
STW will be allowed a quiet death. UA needs a high breakage rate on all of those unused PlusPoints out there. I've got over 800 now that will never be used and UA is just fine with that.
higher_flyer, nnn and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
When I looked at this back in 2019, my conclusion was StW requires ZN inventory. Post 116

I'm not sure we'll ever see UA expand it beyond SA routes. In fact, I won't be surprised to see the entire StW benefit quietly disappear.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
When I looked at this back in 2019, my conclusion was StW requires ZN inventory. Post 116
Thanks; I must have missed that, or being grounded for 14 months has zapped my brain.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm not sure we'll ever see UA expand it beyond SA routes. In fact, I won't be surprised to see the entire StW benefit quietly disappear.
Yes, it's possible that it will disappear quietly. It's also possible that they'll expand it, but probably not until February 2022. I agree with zombietooth -- they'll let the existing P+ break, or get used on CPU routes, first.
Old May 4, 2021, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
STW for Companion on separate PNR?

Can I apply STW to my wife if I am on the same flight but on a different PNR? Has anyone done this - call them I suppose?
ZN is available, and my PNR is already in C
Old May 4, 2021, 12:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
Can I apply STW to my wife if I am on the same flight but on a different PNR? Has anyone done this - call them I suppose?
ZN is available, and my PNR is already in C
Is STW being offered, first report I have seen in some time it is available. What route?
united 1k flyer likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Is STW being offered, first report I have seen in some time it is available. What route?
I thought they completely scrapped it
Old May 4, 2021, 2:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I thought they completely scrapped it
Suspended perhaps but still listed on the website.
Old May 4, 2021, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Suspended perhaps but still listed on the website.
this is when I really miss United insider.
Old May 4, 2021, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

this is when I really miss United insider.
It took about a minute to verify that, yes, Skip the Waitlist still exists, on the same routes it always has (South America long-haul only).

OP: I suspect you'd need to call to use Skip Waitlist in that situation, and that assumes that it's available -- if you do a new search for that flight, you should see the option to skip waitlist. Keep in mind that Skip Waitlist requests can't be changed -- you forfeit the points if you need to alter the reservation.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Skip the Waitlist - "Best" flights to burn PP

Looking to fly west coast (SAN) to Europe (LYS) this fall. I've got PlusPoints to burn so I figure I'll "Skip the Waitlist" (pay double the points) and go out big. That opens the door to basically all flights! So, given that I have my choice of trans Atlantic options - which one do I pick? LH international flights are out due to no "Skip the Waitlist" (so no SAN-FRA).

SFO/LAX rather than DEN/ORD/EWR/IAD so I get the longest international leg possible. SFO & LAX both have Polaris Lounges too.

I'm thinking FRA over MUN over BRU.

I'm thinking 787 over 777.

Anything else I'm missing?
Old Jun 14, 2021, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skylane

Anything else I'm missing?

"From time to time, our 1K members are able to use additional PlusPoints to receive a confirmed upgrade when traveling on select international long-haul flights."
Old Jun 14, 2021, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Yeah, you should check if STW is available on the route you'd intend to fly. Your fare bucket must be W or higher, and booking must take place greater than 30 days prior to departure.

Also, still A LOT of uncertainly whether Polaris lounge would reopen by the fall. At the moment, no clear indications of reopening timeline.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 10:42 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
I've only been to the Polaris lounges at SFO and EWR so far, and the SFO one is really nice (I think it's the largest of them all as well, but obviously SFO is a big hub so potentially more crowded).
LAX also has the Star Alliance lounge, which I've read isn't bad either.
In terms of connecting airports it hardly matters whether you pick FRA or MUC I'd say.
I find them to be very similar and since you're 1K you'll get into the SEN lounges either way.
Whether you prefer 787 or 777 is up to you, what matters more is the configuration.
Since SFO-FRA is not 787-10, you aren't guaranteed the new Polaris seats. I like the 777 quite a bit as well, since the seats are wider than on the 787.
You could also try to fly SAN-SFO-EWR-FRA-LYS and check out both Polaris lounges (I think you do get access on the feeder).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.