Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:13 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
my three years leading up to GS invite from IAD and after

16000 - Earned 1K
31697 - Earned 1K
45055 - Stayed 1K
35256 - Got GS invite for 2017
43905 - Renewed GS for 2018
47313 - Renewed GS for 2019
>80000 - ??
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:13 am

Guessing I’ll end of missing it this year and losing GS. Tariffs and unrest in HKG tabled some of my end of year trips.

looks like I’ll end the year right around $45-46k
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by jp12687
Guessing I’ll end of missing it this year and losing GS. Tariffs and unrest in HKG tabled some of my end of year trips.

looks like I’ll end the year right around $45-46k
Should still be possible, no?
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by narvik
Should still be possible, no?
I was at $57k last year so a good drop.

think they also let too many people in last year (based on wait times and the fact I often get agents who know nothing) so kinda hoping they are a bit more strict but also don’t want to lose GS
Old Sep 15, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Made GS the past two years out of ORD with spend in the >$50K in 2017 and >$60K in 2018. This year I will be at $41K. All UA PQD for all years. Going by the three-year theory, I'm well over. Curious to see if I will make it. I always buy tickets in paid business or first. The only benefits I have gotten from GS are boarding first and using GPUs/RPUs for family since PN space is much more plentiful than PZ. I moved about $15K of spend to Delta this year and have to say that the experience as a status matched Platinum has been more pleasant than GS. F boards first on DL, meals are selected in advance. If I didn't love *A, I think I would switch and take the necessary connections. FAs are so much better at DL. That is what made me shift two months of flying in the first place.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I have had great tight connections rescues in LAX - my whole family was amazed that someone was waiting and drove us to flight and they held space in F for bags. Yeah LAX GS.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: United 1MM, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by fivevsone
my three years leading up to GS invite from IAD and after

16000 - Earned 1K
31697 - Earned 1K
45055 - Stayed 1K
35256 - Got GS invite for 2017
43905 - Renewed GS for 2018
47313 - Renewed GS for 2019
>80000 - ??
Thanks. My spend looks quite similar to you. I guess the test will be if I can get today pushed high enough to trigger GS this year or not and I'm probably sitting "on the bubble"...
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:16 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Happily just had to book a last minute $2,000 ORD > CLE day trip for next week. Should be able to sneak into the low $40s this year now. Hoping trailing 3 year which is more in high $40s each year helps me out.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by fivevsone
I have had great tight connections rescues in LAX - my whole family was amazed that someone was waiting and drove us to flight and they held space in F for bags. Yeah LAX GS.
I would echo that. My flight was cancelled and by the time I made it to the customer service line at the United Club, I received a call from the GS agent informing me that I was already rebooked for the AM flight and hotel accommodations/food vouchers had been arranged. All I had to do was meet them at the club entrance to pick up my vouchers. Very proactive and excellent service!. #LAX GS
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by LIH
Happily just had to book a last minute $2,000 ORD > CLE day trip for next week. Should be able to sneak into the low $40s this year now. Hoping trailing 3 year which is more in high $40s each year helps me out.
$2K ORD to CLE?! Almost could have chartered a jet.....
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:34 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nomad420
$2K ORD to CLE?! Almost could have chartered a jet.....
Outbound was only $400 for a D fare but the return was $1,300 for a J fare and the last seat up front on a 737. I was astonished. No real choice on my timing that day, unfortunately, with other travel over the weekend and again Tuesday-Friday. It is not lost on me that I have a C fare EWR > SFO next week that is the same price.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by LIH
Outbound was only $400 for a D fare but the return was $1,300 for a J fare and the last seat up front on a 737. I was astonished. No real choice on my timing that day, unfortunately, with other travel over the weekend and again Tuesday-Friday. It is not lost on me that I have a C fare EWR > SFO next week that is the same price.
Crazy. For $1,300 for a < 90 minute flight even I probably would have flown in the back!
findark likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Each year when I get the GS shuttle treatment (EWR and IAD) towards the end of the year it starts to get my hopes up... but at least this year I can be pretty confident that I have not a chance in heck — I’ve only spent about $25k YTD on UA metal and at best have another 5-7k in (domestic) spend Before EoY

Ill still take the ride in the Mercedes over the C-A transfer for both airports any day even if I’m slumming it as a 1K
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Going to miss the GS treatment next year. I'm looking to only have around $20K PQD at year's end... back to 1K for me. It's incredibly cheap to fly out of Orlando... biz class tickets to Asia less than $3000 (~$400 in Y)... and most of my trans-con flights on UA have been less than $400 r.t. Being based in Denver in the past, I could never find tickets so cheap... was easy to spend $40K... now I couldn't spend $40K unless I try real hard. Even last minute bookings out of here are cheap to many places.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, Bonvoy LT Titanium, National EE
Hoping for a first year invite here. Multi-year 1K but had a major drop last year and fell back to Gold (lifetime MM), but had a good year of travel so far. Currently sitting at:

$54k PQD (100% UA Metal)
150k PQM
100k BIS
Atlanta Based
I'm around $0.525 CPM, most all flights in paid C/D transatlantic. Will probably have a sprinkle of Y domestic flights and maybe one more transatlantic flight in Polaris. Thinking I'll end the year somewhere around $60k.

Thoughts from the wise FT community on chances of qualification?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.