Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No email notification of upgrades or schedule changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2023, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2019, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I'd love to see your original e-ticket.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 7:28 am
Suspended

Why?

I think the problem was that I booked those tickets 6 months in advance (flight is 12/29)? Perhaps its because they were award tickets? But United handled it in a classy way, though its troubling to think why I wasn't contacted.

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I'd love to see your original e-ticket.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by usedtobeimportant
Why?

I think the problem was that I booked those tickets 6 months in advance (flight is 12/29)? Perhaps its because they were award tickets? But United handled it in a classy way, though its troubling to think why I wasn't contacted.
You didn't indicate that six months had passed. Now it makes sense...just a schedule change.

Based upon your OP, I thought you booked three tickets and then immediately went back to book the fourth and the flight was gone.
chavala and peaches070 like this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
You didn't indicate that six months had passed. Now it makes sense...just a schedule change.

Based upon your OP, I thought you booked three tickets and then immediately went back to book the fourth and the flight was gone.
Technically only three months have passed , but yeah, just a simple schedule change, that's all.
United could have notified OP though, but I guess that's what the comp. was for.

Nothing nefarious to see here...moving along...
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

well, having a schedule change makes sense. Not having UA re-book OP on the new flight, or alternative, with the option to accept is what seems off here. That happens every time for me. So there was a screwup somewhere. OP seems to indicate their reservation showed them still booked on the non-existent flight. That is most definitely not normal.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
When I book on UA.com I usually get an email notification of upgrades, changes, etc. When I book through my company travel agency I never get upgrade notification emails. I had an IRROPs situation a couple weeks ago where the agent at the club asked if my email was [email protected] and I said NO, and she changed it on that particular reservation. So I now figure that the travel agency is putting their email on my reservations instead of my email.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still do not get proper emails for upgrades or schedule changes.

However, I today received an e-ticket email for a flight I booked weeks ago. I did receive the e-ticket email when I originally booked it too. Scrutinizing the contents, I believe it is because there was a schedule change. The ticket number changed too.

edit: Actually as I type I guess it is because there is a partner flight. The ticket probably had to be revalidated as a result. So maybe this does not generalise.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Got (indirect) notice of upgrade from fellow passenger this morning. Was sitting in 10F HNL-LAX pondering miserable hot BoB choices when another passenger showed up late w/ same seat number. Scanner showed 10F when I boarded. I assumed I was subsequently upgraded but not notified yet, so went to purser at door. She checked device and said, “Yep, 6B”. Funny thing was, GA had come on board shortly before 10F passenger version #2 did, but didn’t say anything. Maybe her co-worker outside was fiddling with seats. Better late than never. The “eggs ranchero Benedict” in F were actually pretty good...
Old Oct 4, 2019, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't believe battlefield upgrades ever gave email notice. GA maybe got distracted and forgot to tell you?
Old Oct 4, 2019, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fumje
I don't believe battlefield upgrades ever gave email notice. GA maybe got distracted and forgot to tell you?
That might be it - she was as dealing with another seat issue at the door.

UA should send text alerts in these cases. I could have gathered my stuff back up and been out of seat before other guy showed up.

I don’t bother looking at the waitlist after check-in. I set my expectations on a coach seat and if upgraded, it’s a pleasant surprise. If I had looked at list after boarding, I might have seen the upgrade. After I got to my new seat, I did look at it and it indeed update to show 6B.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
That might be it - she was as dealing with another seat issue at the door.

UA should send text alerts in these cases. I could have gathered my stuff back up and been out of seat before other guy showed up.

I don’t bother looking at the waitlist after check-in. I set my expectations on a coach seat and if upgraded, it’s a pleasant surprise. If I had looked at list after boarding, I might have seen the upgrade. After I got to my new seat, I did look at it and it indeed update to show 6B.
I agree a text would be smart. They send 'Here we go!' and 'Welcome to __!' ones already, and even occasionally 'Your seat assignment to __ has changed', which seems related to this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 6:32 pm

Does UA Notify Travellers of Itinerary Change?

Hey FTers,

I logged into my UA account today to check my upcoming flights and saw a glaring change to my return flight back to YYZ. Instead of flying KIX > SFO > DEN > YYZ as originally planned with a departure of 4:30 PM on Thursday 10th of October, I've been rebooked on AC taking off on 1:30 AM that day and arriving into YYZ on Friday morning. I did not receive a peep from UA either via email or phone call. Furthermore I am flying Polaris J on the itinerary.

I am frankly surprised that UA made no effort to contact me on this apparently significant schedule change. It would be one thing if my flight got moved a couple of hours but there's a big difference between a 4:30 PM departure and a 1 AM departure which throws a spanner into everything. This isn't the first time this has happened to me with UA either. A week ago, whilst checking my MP account I noticed a schedule change on my YYZ > KOA flight in December. Thankfully it was an immaterial change in the schedule (i.e. departure time moved by a couple minutes). Last year, I was flying SIN > LAX > SFO > YYZ when UA famous cancelled the SIN > LAX service. Again, no emails from UA, I only found out when checking my itinerary online.

My question for the FT community is - what am I missing here? UA has no issues sending me emails when I book flights with them or a ticket gets reissued over the phone but they seem to not care when the changes are initiated on their end. Meanwhile, AC has the courtesy of sending me an email when so little as a minute has changed on the scheduled departure.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Oct 4, 2019, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Hey FTers,

I logged into my UA account today to check my upcoming flights and saw a glaring change to my return flight back to YYZ. Instead of flying KIX > SFO > DEN > YYZ as originally planned with a departure of 4:30 PM on Thursday 10th of October, I've been rebooked on AC taking off on 1:30 AM that day and arriving into YYZ on Friday morning. I did not receive a peep from UA either via email or phone call. Furthermore I am flying Polaris J on the itinerary.

I am frankly surprised that UA made no effort to contact me on this apparently significant schedule change. It would be one thing if my flight got moved a couple of hours but there's a big difference between a 4:30 PM departure and a 1 AM departure which throws a spanner into everything. This isn't the first time this has happened to me with UA either. A week ago, whilst checking my MP account I noticed a schedule change on my YYZ > KOA flight in December. Thankfully it was an immaterial change in the schedule (i.e. departure time moved by a couple minutes). Last year, I was flying SIN > LAX > SFO > YYZ when UA famous cancelled the SIN > LAX service. Again, no emails from UA, I only found out when checking my itinerary online.

My question for the FT community is - what am I missing here? UA has no issues sending me emails when I book flights with them or a ticket gets reissued over the phone but they seem to not care when the changes are initiated on their end. Meanwhile, AC has the courtesy of sending me an email when so little as a minute has changed on the scheduled departure.

Safe Travels,

James
You can read this thread:

What are you missing? You are missing your emails. It may not be fair to say UA is making no effort, but regardless you are not receiving them.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 6:53 pm

Update : Just got off the phone with the Premier Desk who looked at the itinerary. Apparently the change was not triggered by an automatic system at UA (i.e. rebooking due to flight cancellation) but was done by an agent. They think it was an error on the part of an agent and have cancelled out the rebooked segments and reinstated the original flights I had.

Bizarre.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Oct 4, 2019, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Hey FTers,

Safe Travels,

James
Government regulations don’t require. If I’m correct that AA & DL similarly lackluster, this is what we’re saddled with. Consumer has no recourse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.