Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No email notification of upgrades or schedule changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2023, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

No email notification of upgrades or schedule changes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I used to get emails notifying me that I was NOT upgraded, but that my name had been transferred to the airport list which rarely amounted to anything more than a ranking of the losers. The higher you were on that list, the bigger your loss. Sometimes departing in Y while #1 on the upgrade list meant I was the biggest loser on the aircraft.

Now I don't get emails when I AM upgraded, which is happening more frequently than under the old system.

I think I like the new system better.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA
A couple of months ago I only knew I'd been upgraded when somebody else wanted to sit in my seat, and so I pulled out my phone to show them my boarding pass - and then saw my seat had been changed/upgraded...

Last edited by starless; Jul 19, 2019 at 8:47 pm
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA MM
My wife and I are traveling this weekend but are on separate reservations due to separate return dates. For our outbound flight, she received an upgrade email but I didn't though we both were upgraded. Go figure.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by slippahs
I was regularly receiving clearance emails up until about sometime last month or the month before and then all emails have stopped. I know there was a toggle in United.com preferences somewhere to enable email upgrade notifications but have been unable to find that option any more.
I just received a CPU email, which is the first in months. The language of the email has changed a little and is a bit bizarre, it starts off with, “High five, FIRSTMIDDLE(name)! We've upgraded your seat on your flight from...”

This was a CPU within 24 hours and after probably dozens of flights with no CPU emails. I am hoping this is not a one off as prior to May-ish, I was reliably receiving CPU emails.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slippahs

I just received a CPU email, which is the first in months. The language of the email has changed a little and is a bit bizarre, it starts off with, “High five, FIRSTMIDDLE(name)! We've upgraded your seat on your flight from...”

This was a CPU within 24 hours and after probably dozens of flights with no CPU emails. I am hoping this is not a one off as prior to May-ish, I was reliably receiving CPU emails.
Seems like they're trying their level best to make me not want a CPU.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I have received the emails for the CPUs - two for tomorrow and one for last Monday.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: *
Tonight was on was on a transatlantic flight and checked in okay yesterday. Just looked this am and saw flight had been cancelled and I had been rebooked on a flight tomorrow. No notification. Real pathetic - many travelers are not crazy like we are and would have no reason to check app again and would have driven to EWR tonight only to learn no flight and at that point too late to seek alternatives.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by ani90
Tonight was on was on a transatlantic flight and checked in okay yesterday. Just looked this am and saw flight had been cancelled and I had been rebooked on a flight tomorrow. No notification. Real pathetic - many travelers are not crazy like we are and would have no reason to check app again and would have driven to EWR tonight only to learn no flight and at that point too late to seek alternatives.
I received a text this morning to tell me my flight had been delayed and they proactively rebooked me on another flight. No email so perhaps texts are the new method to notify flyers (there was also something on the app but I would not have checked the app since I was already checked in).
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I received a text this morning to tell me my flight had been delayed and they proactively rebooked me on another flight. No email so perhaps texts are the new method to notify flyers (there was also something on the app but I would not have checked the app since I was already checked in).
I never received a text or app notification neither.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:57 am

United. Really -- no notification of a schedule change

I emailed UA because I was not getting email notification of changes in a flight we have scheduled for Jan. 2020. I found the changes by checking the UA website and looking at my flight and though the changes are minor, 10 minutes or so in the past I would get email notice of any flight changes even for 5 minutes. Calling them did not good BTW so here is there response after around two weeks waiting:

"Thank you for reaching out to us!

We want to make sure you get the best service possible, and since your email concerns a current or future flight the best resource for you is going to be united.com .

If for any reason you can't find what you're looking for and you need additional assistance, please reach out to us by giving us a call at 1-800-864-8331 (1-800-UNITED-1), visiting our United Customer Contact Center page (that includes international contact options) or reaching out to us via our Twitter or Facebook pages."

So of course this does not in any way even address why I am not getting emails about flight changes.

Since I have already called and emailed I guess try their fb page or just periodically check the website for changes.

​​​​​​​UAL this is rather poor.

Frustrated.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jacketwatch
We want to make sure you get the best service possible, and since your email concerns a current or future flight the best resource for you is going to be united.com .
I actually agree with that response - united.com is your best resource for flight changes
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I actually agree with that response - united.com is your best resource for flight changes
And that is sad isn't it.
Again the point is why am I no longer getting email notifications of flight changes as per usual.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jacketwatch
Again the point is why am I no longer getting email notifications of flight changes as per usual.
Because 10 minutes probably doesn't meet the threshold of a notification.
Often1 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Glad that OP did what seems the prudent course of action. E.g., keep an eye on your timings via the website. Always best to be proactive and not wait around.

My guess is that at some point prior to the flight, if a material time change stuck, OP would have received an automated email.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Glad that OP did what seems the prudent course of action. E.g., keep an eye on your timings via the website. Always best to be proactive and not wait around.

My guess is that at some point prior to the flight, if a material time change stuck, OP would have received an automated email.
Perhaps thresholds have changed but it used to be even 5 minutes change in a schedule was emailed to me. My friend who is a million mile club member with UA said this was true for him too.
If UA changed the threshold then I would hope my email to their comment site and actually speaking with two different reps would have gleaned that info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.