Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Breakfast of a 11 y/o champion I recall in the domestic catering thread special meals are now available for flights >2,000 miles - there were pictures of the Indian vegetarian meal on a EWR-LAS flight, I believe. Wonder if special meals are available when you're upgraded at <T-48 though.
Good question about the <T-48 upgrade, but I’d guess the answer is no.

I have to say - this has been a great flight. All the hallmarks of PS were here; and a super friendly crew to boot. Going to send 1kvoice a note. They deserve it.

(And hey, we had water bottles! And snacks! And sandwiches! And not one but two hot towel services - one before breakfast and one just prior to landing.)

Everything a United flight can and should be ... if only they were all this good.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
also note that’s a jar of actual maple syrup, not a synthetic. Nice touch.

Nobody tell Kirby!
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:07 pm

777-300 on these flights

Hello,

At one point last year, ewr-sfo had one flight a day with the Polaris configuration, now there are none, in either direction, sfo-ewr, ewr-sfo, and of course not bos-sfo and sfo-bos.

Am I missing it, did I imagine it last year? Will they be adding them in slowly or forget it?? Tia
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by raccah
Hello,

At one point last year, ewr-sfo had one flight a day with the Polaris configuration, now there are none, in either direction, sfo-ewr, ewr-sfo, and of course not bos-sfo and sfo-bos.

Am I missing it, did I imagine it last year? Will they be adding them in slowly or forget it?? Tia
They were using SFO/EWR as a proving ground as the frames were delivered. You're not going to see that again, except for random one-offs which won't be entered into the schedule in advance.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Am I missing it, did I imagine it last year? Will they be adding them in slowly or forget it?? ....
773s were used on domestic routes for break-in operation and training, they still occasionally show up as positioning flights for international rotations. There is one more aircraft due in Q4. But 773s are primarily aimed for the international.

As updated aircraft come online with the new Polaris seats, you may also occasionally see them of the premium transcontinental routes like the 773 was but the bulk of the pts flights, for now, will be the older lie-flat seats. Folks tend to post in this thread when there are flights with the new seats on these routes.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:52 pm

Thanks guys, at least I am not imagining it, other than getting the airplane name wrong
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....other than getting the airplane name wrong
777-300 is just as correct as 773 (which is just short) -- a more complete descripter is 777-300ER
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
777-300 is just as correct as 773 (which is just short) -- a more complete descripter is 777-300ER
Not to nitpick, but I was under the impression that the 777-300 and 777-300ER are two distinct and separate variants.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

Not to nitpick, but I was under the impression that the 777-300 and 777-300ER are two distinct and separate variants.
They are! But UA does not have any 777-300 (non ER) variants, so in this context of UA's PS flights, 773, 777-300 and 777-300ER all have to mean the same thing.

If we want to get really precise and philosophical, perhaps we could argue that for referring to the aircraft and not using the full 777-300ER, 773 is better to use than 777-300, as the former clearly denotes itself as shorthand, while the latter could be confused for a full name.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
According to the IATA/ICAO:

777-300 = 773/B773
777-300ER = 77W/B77W

I've seen the 77W designation used on FT quite a bit.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Has anyone seen the paid upgrade cost on the LAX-EWR or SFO-EWR routes? I am guessing this depends on the original ticket class that was paid for.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyguy6
Has anyone seen the paid upgrade cost on the LAX-EWR or SFO-EWR routes? I am guessing this depends on the original ticket class that was paid for.
It is independent of the original fare basis, and is usually roughly $309, although it moves around quite a bit.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by findark
It is independent of the original fare basis, and is usually roughly $309, although it moves around quite a bit.
IME, the price depends on available F-class fares. The ~300 price requires P>0. I have an open PS booking and UA currently wants $1649 to upgrade in one direction and ~$2300 the other.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prometa
IME, the price depends on available F-class fares. The ~300 price requires P>0. I have an open PS booking and UA currently wants $1649 to upgrade in one direction and ~$2300 the other.
I believe the inventory requirement is actually ZN, as that's what it commonly books into, but yes it does fluctuate based on premium inventory.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Originally Posted by findark
I believe the inventory requirement is actually ZN, as that's what it commonly books into, but yes it does fluctuate based on premium inventory.
Ok, so if I am trying pick a premium transcontinental flight that I can get a lower priced paid upgrade to first. I should look for ZN and P inventory on the flight.

This is a good opportunity to use my $400 in vouchers before they expire and experience my first lie flat seat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.