Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

You may be thinking of the old domestic configuration 757-200. Those have been retired for almost 2 years now. Last one taken out of service 4/4/16 according to United Fleet site. The 24-F 757-300 is still used frequently.
You are correct. I'm still a little bit jet-lagged from my Friday EWR-LAX PS flight...
Woke up 4 AM PST this morning.
That said, my thinking about the F seats on 753 being E++, I think, still is true. I booked us on a 737-900 this summer as Mrs Level really doesn't like red-eye HNL-LAX, also E++.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Phil Level
You are correct. I'm still a little bit jet-lagged from my Friday EWR-LAX PS flight...
Woke up 4 AM PST this morning.
That said, my thinking about the F seats on 753 being E++, I think, still is true. I booked us on a 737-900 this summer as Mrs Level really doesn't like red-eye HNL-LAX, also E++.
You call that jet-lagged??
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Gold), DL SM, UA MP (Silver)
United PS service: 777? (EWR-LAX)

Hello all,
I am going to LAX from EWR on August 5-9. I want to know if there is any plane one this route that does the PS service. I am really interested in booking the 752 in E+ but might book the & 772/3 if there is PS on that route.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by elipisk123
Hello all,
I am going to LAX from EWR on August 5-9. I want to know if there is any plane one this route that does the PS service. I am really interested in booking the 752 in E+ but might book the & 772/3 if there is PS on that route.
Any plane that flies this route (which would be an sUA 28J 752, an sCO 16J 752, or a 28J HD 772) will be p.s. service. I would book for a 757 of either kind if you are going to be flying in E+...the 772 is going to be 10-across in the back with no IFE. I have a small preference for the sCO 752 as it has an extra lav right behind the J cabin - makes it so you don’t have to trek all the way to the back to relieve yourself during the flight.

If you are in J, I would still stick with the 752 anyways - keeps you away from the 4-abreast middle section on the 772.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:37 pm

Hello all,
Also check Seatguru for E/E+ seat selection. Many on FT have commented that they thought they were getting a great "bulkhead" seat in row 20 on the 28J config, only to find out that there is no recline and limited legroom.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Un...-200_C_new.php
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Gold), DL SM, UA MP (Silver)
It turns out I am on the 752 V1 International. Not to sound dumb, but I have never flown this plane and it looks like there are hardly any E+ seats. I have no idea which seat is the best on the E+.

Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
8F is the best -- can stretch out legs fully, relatively easy to exit if you want to go to the lav, and full armrest. Downside is in most 752 configs now you can't put bag underneath the cutaway in front of you.

Next best probably row 21 -- lots of legroom, can put bag under, but small/half armrest in 21AF. 20 has even more legroom but no recline (whatsoever). 12 has less legroom and no recline so should be avoided.

7ABC are interesting options -- have infinite legroom but slightly constrained by the protruding door and have people/FAs congregating nearby.

8ABC, 9, 10, 11 are fairly standard E+.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sfo789
7ABC are interesting options -- have infinite legroom but slightly constrained by the protruding door and have people/FAs congregating nearby.
I usually pick these seats thinking I'll enjoy the legroom, but the area in front inevitably becomes an in-flight yoga studio hosting anywhere between 2-6 people at a time.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
It turns out I am on the 752 V1 International. Not to sound dumb, but I have never flown this plane and it looks like there are hardly any E+ seats. I have no idea which seat is the best on the E+.
Depends on what you look for in an E+ seat. Personally my #1 criteria on a long flight is getting an aisle seat because I like to get up and walk around a lot. I would take seats in the following order: 8D, 21C, 21D, 7-11C, 9-11D, 20C, 20D, 12C, 12D
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:00 am

2 PS flights LAX-EWR went MX today. 247 & 642. Rebooked 4 hours later. $250 e-cert.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
2 PS flights LAX-EWR went MX today. 247 & 642. Rebooked 4 hours later. $250 e-cert.
Love the 757 but unless there is a plan to get replacement birds sooner rather than later, I fear this is going to become more of an issue over the next several years...
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:23 am

Usually I book far enough in advance to get a seat in row 1 (or row 5 on the 28J config PS), but due to yesterday's Mx, I sat in 4B. This seat was cold... like a walk in fridge. The purser did make an announcement on the ground about the cold temp and it did warm up some in-flight, but 4B was noticeably colder than row 1 when I went to use the forward lav. Also I could hear the blast of air from the ceiling the entire flight. Wasn't just me, others in rows 3 & 4 were huddled under their blankets.

The tail # was 5468. Is this specific to this aircraft or do all the 28Js have this?

Last edited by Phil Level; Jun 3, 2018 at 8:31 am
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I haven't had any issues with cabin temps on the 28J.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Usually I book far enough in advance to get a seat in row 1 (or row 5 on the 28J config PS), but due to yesterday's Mx, I sat in 4B. This seat was cold... like a walk in fridge. The purser did make an announcement on the ground about the cold temp and it did warm up some in-flight, but 4B was noticeably colder than row 1 when I went to use the forward lav. Also I could hear the blast of air from the ceiling the entire flight. Wasn't just me, others in rows 3 & 4 were huddled under their blankets.

The tail # was 5468. Is this specific to this aircraft or do all the 28Js have this?
I almost always sit in row 4 on the 28J aircraft (4B or 4E, by choice) and I have no problem with the temperature. I've also sat in other rows and only had a problem with seat 5E which was super cold. I suspect that perhaps you got a "bad flight." Or maybe it is that specific aircraft.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
On my last EWR->SFO flight, it looked like PS service has gone the way of "Polaris.". The various amenities were request-only items for those who know:

* No amenity kits distributed -- until I asked for some eye shades 3 hours into the flight. Only after another pax asked too, did they distribute them to everybody.
* No hot towels
* No water after dinner. Again, I asked about an hour before landing, and only then did they go and distribute them to everyone else.
* No first meal choice as a GS. When purser got to me, she said "Oh, we're already out of that." I didn't think it was supposed to work that way.

This was of course the 757-200 with 16 Biz seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.