Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:40 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by porciuscato
On my last EWR->SFO flight, it looked like PS service has gone the way of "Polaris.". The various amenities were request-only items for those who know:

* No amenity kits distributed -- until I asked for some eye shades 3 hours into the flight. Only after another pax asked too, did they distribute them to everybody.
* No hot towels
* No water after dinner. Again, I asked about an hour before landing, and only then did they go and distribute them to everyone else.
* No first meal choice as a GS. When purser got to me, she said "Oh, we're already out of that." I didn't think it was supposed to work that way.

This was of course the 757-200 with 16 Biz seats.
Sounds like a bad/lazy crew. Write it in.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by porciuscato
On my last EWR->SFO flight, it looked like PS service has gone the way of "Polaris.". The various amenities were request-only items for those who know:

* No amenity kits distributed -- until I asked for some eye shades 3 hours into the flight. Only after another pax asked too, did they distribute them to everybody.
* No hot towels
* No water after dinner. Again, I asked about an hour before landing, and only then did they go and distribute them to everyone else.
* No first meal choice as a GS. When purser got to me, she said "Oh, we're already out of that." I didn't think it was supposed to work that way.

This was of course the 757-200 with 16 Biz seats.
Maybe it was just a bad group of flight attendants?

A few weeks ago I was on one of those 16 Biz-seat flights and by the time they got to me they were out of 2 of the 3 entrees. My seatmate and I elected to have a burger from the back. The catering on those 16 Biz-seat flights is really getting stingy.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:08 am

I searched PHL-SFO, but not only is it not P.S, but there are no R spaces available.

Is there a way to at least be on the upgrade list for flights to SFO from the EWR/PHL area? I have flown there 5 times there this year (Gold status, not even on the upgrade list..) and plan on another 5 times...
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by maxim730
I searched PHL-SFO, but not only is it not P.S, but there are no R spaces available.

Is there a way to at least be on the upgrade list for flights to SFO from the EWR/PHL area? I have flown there 5 times there this year (Gold status, not even on the upgrade list..) and plan on another 5 times...
SFO-EWR is not CPU eligible and you will need a supported upgrade approach (GPU/RPU/miles+copay) to upgrade/waitlist

SFO-PHL is CPU eligible and you should be shown on the gate waitlist if not cleared earlier. You can also use a support method, you will be waitlisted if R is not available. However, I would not give a Gold elite much chance for CPU.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
SFO-EWR is not CPU eligible and you will need a supported upgrade approach (GPU/RPU/miles+copay) to upgrade/waitlist

SFO-PHL is CPU eligible and you should be shown on the gate waitlist if not cleared earlier. You can also use a support method, you will be waitlisted if R is not available. However, I would not give a Gold elite much chance for CPU.
Thanks! Clear and helpful.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

SFO-PHL is a very tough upgrade especially because the 319 is used quite a bit. I used to take Amtrak up to EWR for EWR-SFO/LAX simply for the sheer frequency of service.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by nova08
SFO-PHL is a very tough upgrade especially because the 319 is used quite a bit. I used to take Amtrak up to EWR for EWR-SFO/LAX simply for the sheer frequency of service.
That's exactly what I did two weeks ago. It was awesome. LAX-EWR-ZFV-EWR-LAX. Reasonable P fare and purchased the train tickets separately. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Frequency + flat bed + easily accessible = I'm never flying into Philly again, lol.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I applied RPUs and GPUs to PHL-SFO twice a week for 9 months. Cleared twice.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by JHake10
I applied RPUs and GPUs to PHL-SFO twice a week for 9 months. Cleared twice.
FWIW, not much better with instruments on SFO-EWR. I think one cleared on a EWR-SFO two years ago (before it was "PS" service). I have NEVER seen R space on this flight but I am sure others have found it occasionally.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by nomad420
FWIW, not much better with instruments on SFO-EWR. I think one cleared on a EWR-SFO two years ago (before it was "PS" service). I have NEVER seen R space on this flight but I am sure others have found it occasionally.
The last flight out on Saturday nights EWR-SFO are good for upgrades. Usually PN9, if not R>0. Same for BOS-SFO.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
The last flight out on Saturday nights EWR-SFO are good for upgrades. Usually PN9, if not R>0. Same for BOS-SFO.
8 p.m. Friday night BOS-SFO is also great. Usually R is available. Nobody likes the late flights on a Friday night
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:03 am

Flying Polaris on a Domestic Flight

I'm flying out to LAX from EWR tomorrow and my 772 was just changed to a 773. I was on the mileage upgrade standby list to business class, and with the new plane it looks pretty favorable that I'll get my upgrade. What amenities and service will I not be getting as it's a domestic flight ? And I assume there will be no access to the Polaris lounge ? But regardless I'm excited at the chance to try out these new seats. Now to se which seats I should pick. Hopefully with 30 currently open I'll be able to snag two
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
No access to Polaris lounge, service will be standard p.s. service. Be prepared to wait a long time for meal service to be completed...the flight will be well more than halfway completed once done given the size of the cabin.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:34 am

Thanks. Will there be any blankets or pillows for the flight being that it's domestic? If not I might bring something of my own.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Check the "Best seats on a 773" thread, as the better seats are very different than on the 772. 9L/9A my favorites (in that order).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.