Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While this is an aircraft used for Polaris service, e.g. international J, you are on a domestic p.s. flight. The hard product will be Polaris and the soft product will be domestic p.s. Don;t count on anything that isn't part of the p.s. product.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Check the "Best seats on a 773" thread, as the better seats are very different than on the 772. 9L/9A my favorites (in that order).
Thanks I was trying to find that thread to no avail... Can't seem to find it....

edit:
Found it !!

Last edited by Phillies; Jun 14, 2018 at 6:58 am
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Phillies
Thanks I was trying to find that thread to no avail... Can't seem to find it
Here you go... enjoy the experience.

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:03 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Phillies
Thanks. Will there be any blankets or pillows for the flight being that it's domestic? If not I might bring something of my own.
Pillows and blankets for business class for sure. Crap shoot for economy - sometimes yes, other times no.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott/Starwood Platinum Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Pillows and blankets for business class for sure. Crap shoot for economy - sometimes yes, other times no.
Did a RT EWR-SFO this week. Each flight had blankets. Haven't seen pillows in a while.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eisejm
Did a RT EWR-SFO this week. Each flight had blankets. Haven't seen pillows in a while.
In economy or business?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott/Starwood Platinum Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Originally Posted by fumje
In economy or business?
Sorry, in economy.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 6:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
EWR To LAX on 777 Still PS?

I just booked our trip to Europe. The return flight is via EWR and the EWR to LAX portion is on a 777 with the backward facing business class seats. I've never been on PS before so wondering if this would still be considered PS with its upgraded dining etc?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Yes, such as it is these days.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 6:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by seat38a
I just booked our trip to Europe. The return flight is via EWR and the EWR to LAX portion is on a 777 with the backward facing business class seats. I've never been on PS before so wondering if this would still be considered PS with its upgraded dining etc?
PS ( or p.t.s.) is a route designation and is independent of the aircraft used. So, yes a 777 on EWR<>LAX is p.t.s. And service including food with be at standard p.t.s. service levels in both cabins.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Are there any routes that could potentially become p.s.? BOS-LAX, DCA/IAD-SFO, IAD-LAX, perhaps?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
BOS-LAX maybe. It's a solid premium transcon route for JetBlue, and Delta... Well, there was half of an attempt. Some Delta flights between BOS-LAX are Delta One, others are regular domestic first.

On that note, I think Delta is cutting corners on their domestic premium transcon product faster than United.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Are there any routes that could potentially become p.s.? BOS-LAX, DCA/IAD-SFO, IAD-LAX, perhaps?
Unless UA decreases the frequency of its existing premium trans routes or pulls aircraft off of international routes, like TATL 752s, there is not enough appropriate aircraft to handle additional routes and none are in the future aircraft acquisition plan. So don't dream too much.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:27 am

Reality is that only mint has the cost structure to make some of these routes work. DL is loosing a lot of money on those new D1 routes they added that compete with B6. And add on top of that, BOS-SFO probably used up all the premium air frames that UA has. They are not going to put lie flat out of IAD unless B6 enters those routes. So, BOS-LAX is the only possibility. Using domestic F is a problem since they are always the lowest prices. Lie flat is also a problem since there just isn't enough premium demand to generate high fares. DL is finding that now. They initially tried to sell D1 seats at $699. Now, there is always $549 available a couple of weeks out and they still can't sell out.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Have have printed menus, hot towels, amenity kits, and Cowshed products been eliminated from these premium flights? I have taken three premium transcontinental flights in recent days and noticed several apparent changes. No printed menu or scented hot towels were provided, and the restrooms were not stocked with the usual Cowshed amenities that I love. Also, I did not see amenity kits distributed. Disappointing, the death by a thousand cuts!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.