Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm on LAX-BOS friday night on a 16J 752. I'll bring my own pillow

Whether you get pillow and duvet on domestic lie-flat has always varied by station and flight. I've gotten them on SFO-ORD (and vv), but not on IAH-LAX, for example.
Yeah, normally SFO is good about it but I flew an SFO-IAD redeye on a 788 and no Saks blanket
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
UA824 LAX-BOS 10/30/18 752 16J

While I didn't get to sit up front, there were no Saks bedding - yet apparently - according to one of the FAs who was serving up front.

We'll see what that might mean.

David
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:43 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Booked goalie-parents'* annual SFO-PBI trip for January-April and where the revenue tix were too high, I was able to find two saver Y award tix SFO-EWR-PBI/PBI-EWR-SFO and with that, I'm wondering if the "real meal" for those seated in E+ still holds. I still see this on United's website but given the state of UA's I/T , who knows what's true and what's not (and if it's still true, is it worth it for goalie-parents to carry a print out )

*goalie-dad (my MM Gold companion)/goalie-mom (plebe) on one PNR
---
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...mservices.aspx

Enhanced service
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail, champagne and more.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by goalie
.... I'm wondering if the "real meal" for those seated in E+ still holds. ....
It was there a few weeks ago and there would be many posts lambasting UA if and when this was discontinued. This would not go unnoticed.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: Continental
Yes

Pasta or chicken. But lately they have been charging for alcoholic beverages. Although they are supposed to be free.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It was there a few weeks ago and there would be many posts lambasting UA if and when this was discontinued. This would not go unnoticed.
Thank you ^
Originally Posted by hockey7711
Pasta or chicken. But lately they have been charging for alcoholic beverages. Although they are supposed to be free.
Thank you ^ and I'll give goalie-mom the printout "just in case" as she likes to "wine while flying" and how about the outbound SFO-EWR as it's a 07:00 departure-would it be a hot breakfast?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:28 pm

Drinks

On board UA 2239 now. I spoke with the lead flight attendant .She says that the flights are now operated by pmco crews also, and they are not aware of the free drink policy. So it best to show a print out.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:22 pm

On board UA 2239 now. I spoke with the lead flight attendant .She says that the flights are now operated by pmco crews also, and they are not aware of the free drink policy. So it best to show a print out.
Thank you ^ and printed
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
She says that the flights are now operated by pmco crews also, ....
This has been true for years, such as the sCO 752s and any other sCO aircraft used on the PS routes. The bulk were sUA aircraft but there were many sCO aircaft and crews used for sometime.

What has changed is the FA sCO/sUA distinction has disappeared (since Oct) and crews can be made have any UA FA who is successful in bidding for the flight. This may led to FA's who have not worked these routes previously.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:06 pm

Drinks

Everybody in E+ got free alcohol tonight. Even row 20 which on the pmua 752 is not E+
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA 642 today LAXEWR operated by a 763 true Polaris configuration. J booked 16/30!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:28 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
787-8 On LAX-EWR PS Flights

I flew back from EWR to LAX on the 30th of December on a 787-8. Originally, when I booked the flight, it was a 757 but a couple of months out, it was changed to a 787-8. When I used the app to see where my aircraft was coming from, it looked like it was only running between LAX and EWR. I know that UA is running 787-10 on the route while they familiarize but the 787-8 has been in the fleet for a while now.

Is the 787-8 just a temporary thing between LAX-EWR or are the 787-8 eventually going to be relegated to domestic operations? I'm wondering if the 787-8's will become like the 777-200A in the fleet as more and more 787-9 and 787-10's arrive.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
One 788 (N27901) replaced a 757 on UA25/275 just before Christmas week, shuttling back and forth with a RON at LAX. It was a nice add, especially because the 78J subbed in for a few flights. I unfortunately missed the 78J by a day and rode the 788 instead, which IMO is still preferable to the 757!

As of yesterday, those flights (under a different number eastbound) are planned 78J frequencies, and ship #3901 is back in the international network. There are no plans to remove or reduce the the 788 from long haul service.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
They were shuffling in int'l widebodies into the domestic network (including p.s.) over the holidays as they drew down int'l frequency a little bit.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
One 788 (N27901) replaced a 757 on UA25/275 just before Christmas week, shuttling back and forth with a RON at LAX. It was a nice add, especially because the 78J subbed in for a few flights. I unfortunately missed the 78J by a day and rode the 788 instead, which IMO is still preferable to the 757!

As of yesterday, those flights (under a different number eastbound) are planned 78J frequencies, and ship #3901 is back in the international network. There are no plans to remove or reduce the the 788 from long haul service.
Originally Posted by findark
They were shuffling in int'l widebodies into the domestic network (including p.s.) over the holidays as they drew down int'l frequency a little bit.
Thanks, that all makes sense. It would definitely one up their competition on the route if the 787-8 stayed on the route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.