Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Even if the plane is safe, we have no way of knowing this. The FAA has devolved into a rubber stamp agency; their approval is irrelevant. Boeing tells them what to approve and they approve it. Their main role is to sell the approval to foreign regulators. They are advocates for Boeing, not regulators.
How is this not a conspiracy theory by definition?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mozilla
There are several safety nets - always more than one - that prevent one issue from becoming a disaster..
alright, I realize there are often multiple safety nets, but always? I’ll bite.

We’re talking about crashes of two MAX jets where, given there may have been additional factors, but likely the main factor in both was automated software that continually turned on, pushing the nose down, due a single faulty AoA sensor.

Something tells me there aren’t ‘always’ more than one safety net. And seems it caused a disaster in at least 2 cases
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I don't think it's fair to write this off as a conspiracy theory. The AA pilots have released statements saying that they feel that iPad training is insufficient. European pilots have gone even further and accused the FAA of not being independent from Boeing (saying that the Max was approved with "no independent oversight").

This is not a question of conspiracy. It's a question of incompetence. There is no intent here. The FAA is not conspiring with Boeing to approve a plane that will kill more people; they are just unable to provide proper oversight so they are letting Boeing call the shots. In other words, they are useless as a regulatory agency.

Even if the plane is safe, we have no way of knowing this. The FAA has devolved into a rubber stamp agency; their approval is irrelevant. Boeing tells them what to approve and they approve it. Their main role is to sell the approval to foreign regulators. They are advocates for Boeing, not regulators.
This rubber stamp stuff is wrong, IMHO. Might there have been mistakes in the certification process? Possibly and we'll find out in due time. But to single out the FAA for this line of thinking ignores the certification of the A320 and the AF296 airshow crash. I doubt that was any kind of conspiracy, either, but simply highlights that you can't always think of absolutely everything when developing something new.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Something tells me there aren’t ‘always’ more than one safety net. And seems it caused a disaster in at least 2 cases

It's impossible to say anything conclusively as long as the final investigation reports haven't been published. I'm mainly going on the fact that a very similar issue was seemingly remedied in an earlier flight on one of the involved airplanes, suggesting that there was a safety net. Why it wasn't applied in the subsequent flight is a question the investigators will hopefully solve. As is the question of why there were no pilot reports of the earlier incidents at the time - IIRC those reports were only made after the fatal incident. That could have resulted in the aircraft being pulled from service, another safety net that seemingly wasn't used. Not suggesting those pilots made a mistake, if there was a company culture preventing them from doing so, the company culture is the issue.

Then again, I'm not saying that you're wrong, it's definitely possible you're right and that there was no safety net, we'll have to await the final reports.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Newman55

How is this not a conspiracy theory by definition?
Because there is no conspiracy, by the definition of "conspiracy". No one is conspiring. It's just that the FAA is not fulfilling their stated purpose.

This is not uncommon in government. If a lobbyist directs large campaign contributions and as a result is able to get legislation passed that benefits the industry represented by the lobby (rather than benfiting the people), that is not conspiracy. It happens out in the open on a daily basis. It's not even technically corruption (in the legal sense). It's just a government that does not properly represent the people.

There is a difference between an agency that is ineffective, and conspiracy. Actual conspiracy is rare. Incompetence is abundant.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by jsloan

This is the beauty of conspiracy theories: they fit any set of facts! If the FAA had rejected Boeing’s proposal, Boeing was being cheap. If Boeing had proposed 10 hours of simulator training, it’s because they knew all along that the MAX was dangerous and were just trying to hide it. If the FAA accepts any proposal from Boeing, it’s because they’re beholden to them. Et cetera.

If you get rid of the a priori assumption that Boeing is corrupt, it’s possible that Boeing suggested this training, and that the FAA went along with it, because the plane is so similar to the 737NG that all that’s needed is supplemental training — which is exactly what’s been said from the beginning.

I understand that I’m not going to change your mind, and that’s fine. I just want everyone else reading the thread to understand that there are reasonable explanations for all of these things that you (and others) think are massive signs of some huge cover-up.
Billions, if not tens of Billions of dollars are at issue. That kind of $$$ bends all kinds of things. No need for a "conspiracy" theory.

Boeing pushed the MAX as being just like a NG, telling airlines that they would not have to do anything but two hours of training on an iPad. The simulator was not even developed when the MAX stated flying, turns out the simulator for the MAX can't even replicate the conditions faced by these two crews. Boeing sold literally hundreds of billions. Let me repeat that, Boeing sold hundreds of Billions in aircraft based upon the representation that the MAX was just like an NG, with common pilot training.

The MCAS system - with its one sensor, and disconnected AoA disagree indicator - was the key to that "common" type certification. Two crashes later, the FAA said "all is fine, don't worry" as the rest of the world said the MAX was grounded.

Fast forward 6 months, each month the MAX is grounded is probably costing Boeing $1 Billion+. Boeing and the FAA are saying "oh, lets get flying, another two hours on an iPad, all is great!" Happy days are hear again.

Not a lot of "conspiracy" needed. If the FAA says that given the MAX's very clearly different handling characteristics, substantial simulator training is required before flying it, and that pilots must understand the differences in the aircraft, it will not be flying for at least another 3-4 months (as Boeing updates its simulators and airlines install them) and Boeing will be out another $5 Billion+. And oh, moving forward this will kick the teeth out of Boeing's sales pitch to existing NG operators.

Boeing is not acting altruistically, when the FAA is taking a line directly contrary to what every pilots organization that I know of is taking, not hard so see something else but the "public interest" at play....

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 2, 2019 at 8:12 am Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s); OMNI content removed
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
alright, I realize there are often multiple safety nets, but always? I’ll bite.

We’re talking about crashes of two MAX jets where, given there may have been additional factors, but likely the main factor in both was automated software that continually turned on, pushing the nose down, due a single faulty AoA sensor.

In these cases a single AOA sensor failure did not lead to an unavoidable crash; see the prior lionair flight for an example of the safety nets that existed. Pilots electric trim controls were available, and the pilot can cut out electric trim entirely. Both need to be done expediently.

Originally Posted by spin88
The MCAS system - with its one sensor, and disconnected AoA disagree indicator - was the key to that "common" type certification
I call BS. Neither the single sensor at a time behavior, nor the absence of an AoA disagree light, have anything to do with a common type cert. The common type cert still applies for those airlines who selected the AoA disagree light.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by mduell

I call BS. Neither the single sensor at a time behavior, nor the absence of an AoA disagree light, have anything to do with a common type cert. The common type cert still applies for those airlines who selected the AoA disagree light.
I call BS on a lack of understanding of grammar.... My statement was that the MCAS was the key to a common type certification, which is clearly was. The rest of the phrase (between the - -s) described some of the issues with that system, but w/o the MCAS system, no way the MAX was going to be certified with a common type rating.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by mduell
In these cases a single AOA sensor failure did not lead to an unavoidable crash; see the prior lionair flight for an example of the safety nets that existed. Pilots electric trim controls were available, and the pilot can cut out electric trim entirely. Both need to be done expediently.
Lion Air third pilot in the cockpit MCAS problem solver "safety net" "done expediently." As noted on other boards no known MCAS failure survival with only two pilots.

Last edited by BF263533; Jun 2, 2019 at 1:00 am
Old Jun 2, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BF263533
Lion Air third pilot in the cockpit MCAS problem solver "safety net" "done expediently." As noted on other boards no known MCAS failure survival with only two pilots.
While I do recognize that sitting in the jumpseat observing is the best spot to see the “big picture” of everything that is happening during a flight. However, the number of pilots in the cockpit is truly an insignificant data point.

What resolved the MCAS situation is simply one of the pilots actually performing the runaway trim procedure properly, that’s what saved the aircraft.

Last edited by clubord; Jun 2, 2019 at 8:20 am
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

but w/o the MCAS system, no way the MAX was going to be certified with a common type rating.
Which, incidentally, torpedoes the entire argument. If the FAA is so inept, or so beholden to Boeing, why did Boeing have to develop an expensive system instead of just telling the FAA to approve the MAX without it?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BF263533
Which really points to the lack of MCAS failures, well below the 10^-5/hr requirement for a DAL C system.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by jsloan

Which, incidentally, torpedoes the entire argument. If the FAA is so inept, or so beholden to Boeing, why did Boeing have to develop an expensive system instead of just telling the FAA to approve the MAX without it?
If these statements are true, then without MCAS there would have been handling issues that had had to be addressed to avoid future pilot complaints:

“ ‘The 737 Max just felt right in flight, giving us complete confidence that this airplane will meet our customers’ expectations,’ he said.

But a few weeks later, Mr. Wilson and his co-pilot began noticing that something was off, according to a person with direct knowledge of the flights. The Max wasn’t handling well when nearing stalls at low speeds.

In a meeting at Boeing Field in Seattle, Mr. Wilson told engineers that the issue would need to be fixed. He and his co-pilot proposed MCAS, the person said.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/01/b...sultPosition=4
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That article has a number of inconsistencies with other available information. Low speed stall is handled by the stick shaker, not the purpose of MCAS. The quotes attributed to Mr Wilson are third hand hearsay. I'd take it with a grain of salt.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
but w/o the MCAS system, no way the MAX was going to be certified with a common type rating.
I've seen conflicting information on this and don't know if that is true, or not.

Certification requirements are such that as AoA increases, all else being equal, the control forces in pitch must also increase. i.e. the amount of nose-up elevator pressure required to maintain the higher AoA must increase. I do not know if the MAX without MCAS met that certification requirement. If it did not, then it could not be certified at all without MCAS.

To have a common type certification with the existing 737 NGs, the handling will characteristics would have to be meet the applicable standards for consistency. If not, they would have to be separate type ratings or a fix, such as MCAS, would be needed.

I've seen reports that assume it was only needed for the common qualification and others that suggest it was required either way. The reporting on such technical details has been poor. I have not been able to find a definitive answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.