Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LarryJ
The reporting on [...] technical details has been poor.
Understatement of the thread.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Some more issues coming out regarding the NG and MAXs https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/02/busin...ies/index.html
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Rumples
Some more issues coming out regarding the NG and MAXs https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/02/busin...ies/index.html
Great, we are now at a point where a Service Bulletin is major news that threatens safety.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by fly18725

Great, we are now at a point where a Service Bulletin is major news that threatens safety.
When I saw the stories I thought , more major news. Just a service bulletin. For a few years every 737 event may be a major news item. When the MAX makes it back into the air it will be under a microscope. All the wrongful death cases, the litigation discovery and trial testimony if the cases reach that point, will be seized upon by the news media. The 737 MAX and Boeing may be continuously wounded. 737 MAX operators will have to deal with any fallout.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
At least the whole affair seems to move in the right direction now: After claiming that the MAX was safe in March, even in a call to the POTUS, and hinting that it is probably all just the fault of third-world pilots/airlines, Muilenberg now publicly apologises to the victims and their families, and admits that "we [=Boeing] clearly fell short".
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2.3 MM
The new NG issue seems more than a "service bulletin". I am no expert on the FAA, but isn't an "Airworthiness Directive" a regulatory term that requires the aircraft to taken out of service and then confirmed or repaired before reintroduction to the fleet? Next question, how many NGs when tail numbers are identified are used by UA...
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ErgoTraveler
The new NG issue seems more than a "service bulletin". I am no expert on the FAA, but isn't an "Airworthiness Directive" a regulatory term that requires the aircraft to taken out of service and then confirmed or repaired before reintroduction to the fleet? Next question, how many NGs when tail numbers are identified are used by UA...
This is the normal process for an SB/AD, nothing more. The manufacturer publishes a service bulletin related to an issue or potential issue, and then the FAA issues an airworthiness directive mandating compliance and a timeline. No requirement to take the aircraft out of service, I'm not sure where you got that idea from. As detailed in the linked article, they have 10 days after the AD is issued to inspect the fleet, and repair any aircraft an issue is found on.

On average, the common airliner families (737, A320, etc) have an SB with an accompanying AD more than once a month. It's utterly routine and not particularly interesting.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 2.3 MM
Originally Posted by mduell
This is the normal process for an SB/AD, nothing more. The manufacturer publishes a service bulletin related to an issue or potential issue, and then the FAA issues an airworthiness directive mandating compliance and a timeline. No requirement to take the aircraft out of service, I'm not sure where you got that idea from. As detailed in the linked article, they have 10 days after the AD is issued to inspect the fleet, and repair any aircraft an issue is found on.

On average, the common airliner families (737, A320, etc) have an SB with an accompanying AD more than once a month. It's utterly routine and not particularly interesting.
Thanks for the update. I got the "idea" from a news article I saw on this item that appeared to make the item more dire than your explanation.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

Requiring them all checked (and if applicable, repaired) within 10 days is different from SBs issued by the automakers though. And such a tight timeline I would imagine impacts schedules (esp for WN)
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I did not see that anyone has posted this NYT deep dive piece https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/01/b...=pocket-newtab it really paints an ugly picture of Boeing's failures, especially repeatedly failing to do (what I take from context to be) DFMEA analysis with successive changes. If this number of folks are willing to talk on background to the NYT, discovery when everyone is put under oath in the death cases will be brutal.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:48 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by Newman55
You admit that you know "little" about this incident...
Let me go a step further and admit I know very little about anything. Would also wager the fact I (poorly) grasp how little I know about how little I know is one of the deepest things I - or anyone - can know. Swallowing that jagged redpill helps keep your mind open.

Originally Posted by LarryJ
There's been a lot of 'my experts are better than your experts' in recent posts. That is an example of the Appeal to Authority logical fallacy and is why I don't say, "I'm a 737 pilot so you should believe me".

The media does this all the time. They find an expert that will support their point of view and they put him up as THE authority on the topic.

Instead of counting experts, compare their arguments to see which ones are most compelling.
^ Excellent post. The net effect IMHO is the discussion stealthily shifts from who has the best logical argument to who has the most convincing argument.

Another favorite in this thread is the STRAW MAN FALLACY → → → https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

Here are a few examples:

Did the laws of physics change in the last 50 years?
In any other context, 50 years of safe operating experience would be a positive, not a negative.

Disappointing, low-quality, weak arguments based upon logical slight-of-hand.

Originally Posted by jsloan
That is both an impossible standard and factually untrue. Many, many systems fail every day on commercial aircraft. It's extremely rare for anyone to die.
That's a novel take that runs contrary to decades of aviation safety thinking and practice.
When a system(s) supporting critical flight functions fail in-flight, all souls onboard are in peril. Consider the loss of hydraulics resulting in the control surface failure suffered by UA232. The a priori critical importance of the control surfaces was reflected by them being supported up by three independent hydraulic systems. When all three systems failed due to the no. 2 engine fan blade separation, the pilots lost the ability to effectively command the control surfaces of the DC10. Only by the grace of God and the 3 + 1* pilots (* interestingly enough Capt. Finch, a passenger on UA232, was a Training Check Airman for UA AND had practiced simulations of controlling aircraft after a total loss of hydraulics with just throttles) in the cockpit to help manage the situation appears to have been a material asset in both the case of UA232 and the penultimate flight of PK-LQP, the Lion Air 737.

So to the point of "all the time, every time" I'd agree nothing is 100% foolproof/failproof, and the costs to make it so are impractical, BUT one can use foresight and common sense to ID critical aspects relating to flight where the function requires a 100% uptime record even if one of the supporting sub-systems fails...i.e. the control surfaces MUST work ALL the time, EVERY time; to ensure this three independent and redundant hydraulic systems are in place meaning as long as one remains operational, the other two can fail, without a catastrophic loss of control.

Apologies for the lack of specificity.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Did the laws of physics change in the last 50 years?
In any other context, 50 years of safe operating experience would be a positive, not a negative.

Disappointing, low-quality, weak arguments based upon logical slight-of-hand.
If you're going to quote me, at least attribute it to me.

There's no logical sleight of hand involved, and this is hardly a straw-man argument. The simple fact of the matter is, there is an undercurrent of "the 737 MAX is based upon an old design, which is therefore flawed" in some of these arguments, including yours. I'm not sure what specific type of fallacy that is, but it's certainly fallacious. One man's "old" is another man's "proven." Yes, technology has progressed a lot in the 50 years since the original 737 was certified, but the basic laws of aerodynamics are unchanged. A design that flew perfectly well 50 years ago will still fly perfectly well.

I see this quite a bit as a software engineer. People want to throw away "legacy" software -- meaning, something that's worked well for a long time, but isn't currently fashionable because it's no longer new. It's a bad bias in software, and it's a bad bias in aviation as well.

Originally Posted by J.Edward
So to the point of "all the time, every time" I'd agree nothing is 100% foolproof/failproof, and the costs to make it so are impractical, BUT one can use foresight and common sense to ID critical aspects relating to flight where the function requires a 100% uptime record even if one of the supporting sub-systems fails...i.e. the control surfaces MUST work ALL the time, EVERY time; to ensure this three independent and redundant hydraulic systems are in place meaning as long as one remains operational, the other two can fail, without a catastrophic loss of control.
Correct. The horizontal stabilizer is one such system. The electronic control for it is not. because it can be adjusted manually, just as has been done for the past 50 years.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: UA MM
If you're going to quote me, at least attribute it to me.

There's no logical sleight of hand involved, and this is hardly a straw-man argument. The simple fact of the matter is, there is an undercurrent of "the 737 MAX is based upon an old design, which is therefore flawed" in some of these arguments, including yours. I'm not sure what specific type of fallacy that is, but it's certainly fallacious. One man's "old" is another man's "proven." Yes, technology has progressed a lot in the 50 years since the original 737 was certified, but the basic laws of aerodynamics are unchanged. A design that flew perfectly well 50 years ago will still fly perfectly well.

I see this quite a bit as a software engineer. People want to throw away "legacy" software -- meaning, something that's worked well for a long time, but isn't currently fashionable because it's no longer new. It's a bad bias in software, and it's a bad bias in aviation as well.

Correct. The horizontal stabilizer is one such system. The electronic control for it is not. because it can be adjusted manually, just as has been done for the past 50 years.
Good points though I think most here will admit the MAX is not of the same design as that aircraft which flew perfectly well for 50 years, especially with regard to engine placement.

Let's remember the MCAS only is there (AFAIK) as a shoe-horned addition to compensate for engines not being in their ideal location. That's not to say it's a bad thing, only to say that an ideally-designed aircraft wouldn't need it.

I personally have no issue getting on a MAX when that day comes that I can. I also think anyone setting out to design an aircraft today wouldn't end up with something looking like the MAX. I think that's the issue which Boeing has to think about more fully when they launch projects.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a software engineer, I see this quite a bit too. If we want to continue with this analogy, the problem with legacy software is that as new features get added, if you don't update the design as well, you end up with a design that does not fit the current feature set. You don't redesign something because it's old; you redesign it because the requirements change and the old design does not support the new requirements.

Your choices are to do a fundamental redesign, or just to hack the new features on top, even though the system wasn't designed for them. Then suddenly you end up with engines that are too big, in the wrong place on the wing, and 2 plane crashes.

There is nothing wrong with the 737 design -- the plane works perfectly well to do what it was designed to do. However, now there are new requirements, and it is not a good design for those requirements.

I agree, the laws of aerodynamics have not changed in the past 50 years. If you had put engines that big in that place on the wing 50 years ago, it would have crashed then too.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Jun 7, 2019 at 12:38 pm
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If you had put engines that big in that place in the wing 50 years ago, it would have crashed then too.
Ugh... There's still a lot of uncertain things about why these planes crashed, but one thing is for certain; they did not crash because of the engine placement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.