Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by LIH
It has been incredible to me that $BA hasn't taken the hit I would have expected based on this. Even with the recent headlines which are hard to read as anything other than material extension risk at the very least have not caused the stock to even fall below Jan 2018 levels. I was with an uncle of mine in LA last week who is the CEO of a business that makes parts of Boeing as well as the MAX engines from GE (I believe). They've continued to see that order flow on plan/track. Meanwhile, they've been scrambling for the last 7 months to find other non-Boeing clients to prepare for a worst case scenario. My uncle started his career at Boeing back in the early 1980s and he's been in aerospace manufacturing ever since. He really just couldn't believe how this is playing out.

As noted up thread. The ramifications of the MAX not getting back in the air would actually have a measurable impact on the U.S. economy in my view (and that is more squarely in the realm of my day job unlike the fascinating pilot/engineering discussion in this thread). This will be a hell of a HBS case study one day.
Logic tells me Boeing created a mess that will require a government bailout if this continues. United is smart, and thankfully not too exposed to this in the way Southwest is. If I worked at Boeing I’d be nervous and updating my resume’.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:31 am

This article from Reuters provides additional details on claims raised earlier in this thread: https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-et...-idUKKBN1WZ0MA

Boeing’s earnings release is Wednesday and will shed more light on the financial impact. I tend to agree that full recertification or termination of the program are unlikely as the implications would be catastrophic.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by fly18725
This article from Reuters provides additional details on claims raised earlier in this thread: https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-et...-idUKKBN1WZ0MA

Boeing’s earnings release is Wednesday and will shed more light on the financial impact. I tend to agree that full recertification or termination of the program are unlikely as the implications would be catastrophic.
There is zero chance that the Max program will be terminated or that it will have to go through full recertification. That is only wishful thinking for some.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I tend to agree that full recertification or termination of the program are unlikely as the implications would be catastrophic.
Termination may be very unlikely unfortunately, however full recertification would be more manageable. Airlines hang on to their existing narrow body aircraft a few more years, Boeing is forced to actually certify the aircraft as airworthy. The reality is that the fleet is still less than 400 aircraft that were actually in service at the time of the grounding. That's a pretty small fleet of planes relatively.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
Termination may be very unlikely unfortunately, however full recertification would be more manageable. Airlines hang on to their existing narrow body aircraft a few more years, Boeing is forced to actually certify the aircraft as airworthy. The reality is that the fleet is still less than 400 aircraft that were actually in service at the time of the grounding. That's a pretty small fleet of planes relatively.
Agree re full recertification. Just to keep in mind: while it is "only" 400 planes grounded, there is a continuously increasing backlog of orders airlines are waiting delivery on.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Agree re full recertification. Just to keep in mind: while it is "only" 400 planes grounded, there is a continuously increasing backlog of orders airlines are waiting delivery on.
Adding to that point, there must be quite a large number of essentially finished aircraft waiting on final "programming" and certification before delivery.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Adding to that point, there must be quite a large number of essentially finished aircraft waiting on final "programming" and certification before delivery.
Curious, how many planes are in the backlog as of now since the grounding .... ? .....
Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:54 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Curious, how many planes are in the backlog as of now since the grounding .... ? .....
They announced in March that they were cutting monthly production from ~50 to ~40 if I remember correctly. They may have cut that again, but I don't see anything indicating that from the last earnings call. So even just since then that would be another 250+ planes just since that capacity cut.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 1:02 pm

Another scoop from Reuters: EASA prepared to return MAX to service in January at earliest and any gap with FAA would be weeks, rather than months. This seems to put talk of full recertification to rest.

https://apple.news/AAnmlCHNUQBS5QbLURnwWfw
Old Oct 21, 2019, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Newman55
There is zero chance that the Max program will be terminated or that it will have to go through full recertification. That is only wishful thinking for some.
^

Another scoop from Reuters: EASA prepared to return MAX to service in January at earliest and any gap with FAA would be weeks, rather than months. This seems to put talk of full recertification to rest.

https://apple.news/AAnmlCHNUQBS5QbLURnwWfw
The collective unsurprised face from everyone familiar with aircraft design and certification:
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mduell
^

The collective unsurprised face from everyone familiar with aircraft design and certification:
by that logic the crashes and length of worldwide grounding was no surprise.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by mduell
^
While I agree that the chances the planes are scrapped is zero, lots of folks saw this entire thing as a bunch about nothing, all the fault of 3rd world pilots. Ain't turned out to be reflective of reality.

Per the NYT:

We see increasing risk that the F.A.A. won’t follow through with a certification flight in November and lift the emergency grounding order in December,” UBS said in a note downgrading the stock. “We think a push out of the return to service could increase the likelihood of a pause on the 737 Max production system.”

Seth M. Seifman, an analyst at JPMorgan Chase, said the revelation of the messages “makes it more challenging for regulators to endorse the 737 Max near term.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/21/b...gtype=Homepage

Boeing is in a world o'hurt. My guess is the CEO is toast, they will announce a few more billion in costs (pusting it to over $10B in costs) making the decission to go with the MAX one of the worst in history, it will cost them more than a clean sheet design would have, and they end up with a tainted dud of a plane...

The big (as in billions and billions more) question is if they get regulatory approval before they are forced to shut down the MAX line for a period of time....
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by spin88
While I agree that the chances the planes are scrapped is zero, lots of folks saw this entire thing as a bunch about nothing, all the fault of 3rd world pilots. Ain't turned out to be reflective of reality.

Per the NYT:

We see increasing risk that the F.A.A. won’t follow through with a certification flight in November and lift the emergency grounding order in December,” UBS said in a note downgrading the stock. “We think a push out of the return to service could increase the likelihood of a pause on the 737 Max production system.”

Seth M. Seifman, an analyst at JPMorgan Chase, said the revelation of the messages “makes it more challenging for regulators to endorse the 737 Max near term.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/21/b...gtype=Homepage

Boeing is in a world o'hurt. My guess is the CEO is toast, they will announce a few more billion in costs (pusting it to over $10B in costs) making the decission to go with the MAX one of the worst in history, it will cost them more than a clean sheet design would have, and they end up with a tainted dud of a plane...

The big (as in billions and billions more) question is if they get regulatory approval before they are forced to shut down the MAX line for a period of time....
Pilot experience and bad maintenance was clearly part of the equation on why these aircraft crashed. You can refresh your memory by reading up thread, why that’s so.

Boeing was never going to go with a clean sheet design to replace the smaller passenger count 737s. The 797 will only complement the 737.

Everyone recognizes that they have screwed up the software of the plane, but once that is fixed the aircraft will have a long life.

Unless you are a Boeing shareholder, I’m not sure why anyone cares that much about costs. Clearly, some still love the 380 and it’s lost billions of dollars and will never break even.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Newman55
Unless you are a Boeing shareholder, I’m not sure why anyone cares that much about costs. Clearly, some still love the 380 and it’s lost billions of dollars and will never break even.
That's the thing, a lot of us ARE shareholders through our pension plans and 401ks.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
That's the thing, a lot of us ARE shareholders through our pension plans and 401ks.
you should visit our discussion at the OmniPR stock market thread. One should never knowingly invest in airlines or heavy equipment manufacturers long term. Catching a short term trend up or down is OK, but in a retirement targeted portfolio long term? No way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.