FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - B737MAX Recertification - Archive
View Single Post
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:00 am
COSPILOT

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by LIH
It has been incredible to me that $BA hasn't taken the hit I would have expected based on this. Even with the recent headlines which are hard to read as anything other than material extension risk at the very least have not caused the stock to even fall below Jan 2018 levels. I was with an uncle of mine in LA last week who is the CEO of a business that makes parts of Boeing as well as the MAX engines from GE (I believe). They've continued to see that order flow on plan/track. Meanwhile, they've been scrambling for the last 7 months to find other non-Boeing clients to prepare for a worst case scenario. My uncle started his career at Boeing back in the early 1980s and he's been in aerospace manufacturing ever since. He really just couldn't believe how this is playing out.

As noted up thread. The ramifications of the MAX not getting back in the air would actually have a measurable impact on the U.S. economy in my view (and that is more squarely in the realm of my day job unlike the fascinating pilot/engineering discussion in this thread). This will be a hell of a HBS case study one day.
Logic tells me Boeing created a mess that will require a government bailout if this continues. United is smart, and thankfully not too exposed to this in the way Southwest is. If I worked at Boeing I’d be nervous and updating my resume’.