Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Does United fly the 737MAX, or have any on order?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Does United fly the 737MAX, or have any on order?
Yes, and yes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_fleet
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:42 am
Original Poster

So according to that link the 737MAX are -9 and -10. They are not the -8. Correct?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:55 am

So according to that link the 737MAX are -9 and -10. They are not the -8. Correct?
Correct
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I was going to start a thread but may as well ask the question here: does this other incident with Ethiopian give anyone here pause around flying the MAX series or think it will impact UAs large order book?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
For those of you not tuned in, I assume this is reference to the crash of ET302 today and JT610 last year, where is it the 737MAX-8 crashing.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Anyone know why United don't mention the MAX on their seating chart page: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...t/default.aspx
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I was going to start a thread but may as well ask the question here: does this other incident with Ethiopian give anyone here pause around flying the MAX series or think it will impact UAs large order book?
Not really. Personally, Im booked on one today (Air Canada Max 8), and am not particularly worried. If it turns out theres a flaw with the MAX, you can bet Boeing will fix it. They have too much riding on the line not to.

Keep in mind the 787, while thankfully not involved in any accidents, was actually grounded for a few months because of safety concerns related to the battery, and other than some delivery delays and compensation, they havent really suffered for it.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by swiftaw
Anyone know why United don't mention the MAX on their seating chart page: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...t/default.aspx
Its not specifically called out, but its one of the tabs within the -900 seating chart page.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi

Its not specifically called out, but its one of the tabs within the -900 seating chart page.
Thanks. Is it separated out on reservations? That is, can you tell you are flying a MAX or does it just label it a 737-900 on the itinerary?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Yes, two within six months on a new A/C is very concerning to me which is why I asked about the United fleet. The theory is there may be some issue with the original design and placement of the engine. I am not certain if the design for the placement of the engine on the -8 differs to the -9 and -10. At this stage just thankful UA does not fly the -8.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by swiftaw
Thanks. Is it separated out on reservations? That is, can you tell you are flying a MAX or does it just label it a 737-900 on the itinerary?
It shows up as 7M9 when you look at it on the App and reservations
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi

Not really. Personally, Im booked on one today (Air Canada Max 8), and am not particularly worried. If it turns out theres a flaw with the MAX, you can bet Boeing will fix it. They have too much riding on the line not to.

Keep in mind the 787, while thankfully not involved in any accidents, was actually grounded for a few months because of safety concerns related to the battery, and other than some delivery delays and compensation, they havent really suffered for it.
Having battery issues and grounding planes preemptively vs. two planes falling out of the sky within a few months of delivery is a huge magnitude of difference...
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1K
I have intentionally avoided the max since the lionair crash and will continue to do so.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Yes, two within six months on a new A/C is very concerning to me which is why I asked about the United fleet. The theory is there may be some issue with the original design and placement of the engine. I am not certain if the design for the placement of the engine on the -8 differs to the -9 and -10. At this stage just thankful UA does not fly the -8.
The issue is improper management of a flight control system designed to counteract an aerodynamic consequence of the engine placement, in a narrowly-defined phase of flight, and the cause of the ET crash is hardly assured.

Its disturbing, but I have no qualms stepping aboard a UA MAX right now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.