Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
Turns out that the simulators (which were not ready at launch) don't replicate the MCAS stall condition, so no way to train on it....
MCAS still has nothing to do with stall, despite frequent media confusion.

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I don't think Airbus needs anymore executive's dreams given the massive screwups by Boeing on the 737MAX. Airbus could be reaping the benefits of Boeing's errors for decades to come.
They need to execute to capitalize on it. The A380 EIS woes and market miss, A350 launch six-peat, A400M delays and cost overruns, and A320neo EIS woes are really hampering their ability to take advantage of any Boeing issues.
Old May 18, 2019, 9:14 pm

Was MCAS designed to comply with 14CFR §25.203 Stall characteristics?

Your thoughts on this analysis:

“MCAS is a longitudinal stability enhancement. It is not for stall prevention (although indirectly it helps) or to make the MAX handle like the NG (although it does); it was introduced to counteract the non-linear lift generated by the LEAP-1B engine nacelles at high AoA and
give a steady increase in stick force as the stall is approached as required by regulation.”

“The LEAP engine nacelles are larger and had to be mounted slightly higher and further forward from the previous NG CFM56-7 engines to give the necessary ground clearance. This new location and larger size of nacelle cause the vortex flow off the nacelle body to produce lift at high AoA. As the nacelle is ahead of the C of G, this lift causes a slight pitch-up effect (ie a reducing stick force) which could lead the pilot to inadvertently pull the yoke further aft than intended bringing the aircraft closer towards the stall. This abnormal nose-up pitching is not allowable under 14CFR §25.203(a) "Stall characteristics". Several aerodynamic solutions were introduced such as revising the leading edge stall strip and modifying the leading edge vortilons but they were insufficient to pass regulation. MCAS was therefore introduced to give an automatic nose down stabilizer input during elevated AoA when flaps are up.”

14CFR §25.203 Stall characteristics.

(a) It must be possible to produce and to correct roll and yaw by unreversed use of the aileron and rudder controls, up to the time the airplane is stalled. No abnormal nose-up pitching may occur. The longitudinal control force must be positive up to and throughout the stall. In addition, it must be possible to promptly prevent stalling and to recover from a stall by normal use of the controls.

737 MAX - MCAS
Old May 19, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by mduell
MCAS still has nothing to do with stall, despite frequent media confusion.
MCAS was added because moving the new engines forward and up, along with modifications to the tail changed the response of the MAX during climb, and in particular as you climbed the engine would provide forward lift, which would cause a nose up.

Boeing could have simply trained people that the plane flew differently, and trained them to address the situations where lift would accelerate during a climb, but they were trying to game the system to sell the MAX as "just like a NG, so no new training needed".

The problem is that someone at Boeing - contrary to what was submitted to the FAA, made the MCAS have the ability to make multiple very major (2.5 degree) inputs.

IMHO there is absolutely no reason for those kind of inputs unless you are concerned about stall. My understanding (to be corrected if I am wrong) is that the FAA was told that MCAS would add .5 degree of input, not 2.5 degrees.

It appears (or is reported) that this much higher degree of MCAS input was put in to prevent stall conditions during climbs when the auto pilot was off. See e.g. https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-s...em-mcas-jt610/

Perhaps this is wrong, but it appears to have been Boeing that turned it into a sub-rosa stall prevention system.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by spin88
Perhaps this is wrong, but it appears to have been Boeing that turned it into a sub-rosa stall prevention system.
MCAS is not a stall prevention system. It is exactly what the name says; a Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System.

As AoA increases, pitch control forces should also increase. That is required by certification regulations. Due to the lift from the larger engine nacelles, as you pointed out, the pitch forces do not increase sufficiently.

I don't know if the reduced pitch forces are enough to meet certification requirements as a separate type rating. It doesn't really matter as the airplane is not, and will not, be operated by a single type. Either way, the result is the same--the pitch force had to be increased in those situations. MCAS increases the pitch force, i.e. makes the nose heavier, by introducing a nose-down bias through the application of nose-down stabilizer trim. This provides the increasing control forces that are required by certification regulations. It also replicates the pitch feel of the NG models on which most MAX pilots will be dual-qualified.

737s, including the MAX, have conventional stall characteristics. Stall warning is provided with a conventional dual stick-shaker system with each side's stick-shaker deriving input from the respective side AoA indicator. This type of system is common in jets and turboprop airplanes of all sizes. When an airplane does not have conventional stall characteristics it needs additional help to avoid stalling and/or to recover when a stall occurs. I have flown several aircraft with such systems including the J32 (Jetstream), CRJ, and DC9.

Both the J32 and CRJ had stick-pushers which violently and abruptly push the control column forward with such a force that it is impossible for the pilot to override.

The DC9, with its T-Tail, could get into a 'deep stall' in which the wings block airflow over the stabilizer and elevators in such a way that the elevator would not respond to control-column input (it is an unpowered surface operated by a control-tab) making it impossible to recover from the stall. This was addressed by adding a hydraulic actuator that would push the elevators toward the nose-down position when the elevator positions failed to respond to a nose-down control column input. Later DC9s, starting with the DC9-50 series, had long strakes added to the sides at the nose to further control the airflow over the tail during high-AoA operations.

Those are a few examples of what stall prevention, or stall recovery, systems look like. No 737 model needs, nor has, any such systems. It meets all stall-related certification requirements without them.
Old May 19, 2019, 1:11 pm

GHISLAINE DE CLAREMONT lawsuit filed in the United States District Court Northern District Of Illinois, Case: 1:19-cv-03297 Document #: 1 Filed: 05/16/19, alleged:

" 1. This action seeks justice for GHISLAINE DE CLAREMONT, who was killed in the March 10, 2019 crash of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 (ET302) only minutes after take-off from Bole International Airport in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. " .........

"50. Pursuant to the FAA's Airworthiness Standards for Commercial Aircraft1: "No abnormal nose-up pitching may occur.... In addition, it must be possible to promptly prevent stalling and to recover from a stall by normal use of the controls."

1 14 CFR Sec. 25.203(a) — Stall Characteristics."

"51. Despite knowing that the Boeing 737-8 MAX had aerodynamic handling defects, BOEING pressed on with the development of the airplane and created MCAS to mitigate the risk of a potential stall and to force the 737-8 MAX to handle more like the Boeing 737NG. However, MCAS failed to mitigate such a risk and on or before March 10, 2019, BOEING knew and/or should have known of that failure but did not take action thereby putting the flying public at risk, including the decedent. Such acts and omissions demonstrate reckless disregard and conscious indifference for the safety of the flying public at risk including the Decedent."

Link to the court complaint:

https://www.kreindler.com/Recent-Dev...ing-Filing.pdf

These are only "allegations" at this point in time subject to proof on summary judgment or at trial.
Old May 19, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Any News on MAX 10 plans?

I know there was a lot of chatter pre-crashes about the 100 MAX 10s coming into the fleet, and expanding domestic lie flat service as a result. Are these plans still on? And if they are, is this really the right plane?
Old May 19, 2019, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
There's been no official news or leaks yet. Looks like a great plane for UA market fit.

Discussed in Should United Cancel Its Order for 100 – 737 MAX 10s, & Order the A321neo?
Old May 19, 2019, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
There's been no official news or leaks yet. Looks like a great plane for UA market fit.
- Airbus 321 is better market fit as it’s not been known to fall out of the sky.
Old May 19, 2019, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who wants to fly on these things? “Great fit” in fantasy land maybe, not in the real world.
Old May 19, 2019, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
- Airbus 321 is better market fit as it’s not been known to fall out of the sky.
Neither has the MAX 10, since none have been delivered.

The MAX 10 will be the most scrutinized derivative launch in years. There's no actual reason to expect any problems with it.

I hate to break it to you, but if UA wanted the A321, they'd already have an order for it -- they'd have converted the A359 order into an A321 order. UA is more likely to wait for the 797 than they are to buy the A321. The only scenario I could see where UA would take the A321 is if there's a major problem with Airbus's order book (e.g., a couple of large customers declare bankruptcy) and Airbus makes UA a sweetheart offer.

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Who wants to fly on these things? “Great fit” in fantasy land maybe, not in the real world.
I do. I love the MAX 9, and I'm excited to fly the MAX 10. I've only flown the A321 once, and I was thoroughly unimpressed. Of course, it was an AA flight, and I was somewhere in the hinterlands of the plane; I imagine it's better closer to the front. Still, nothing about the experience made me wish that UA would take them into their fleet.
Old May 19, 2019, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
Neither has the MAX 10, since none have been delivered.

The MAX 10 will be the most scrutinized derivative launch in years. There's no actual reason to expect any problems with it.

I hate to break it to you, but if UA wanted the A321, they'd already have an order for it -- they'd have converted the A359 order into an A321 order. UA is more likely to wait for the 797 than they are to buy the A321. The only scenario I could see where UA would take the A321 is if there's a major problem with Airbus's order book (e.g., a couple of large customers declare bankruptcy) and Airbus makes UA a sweetheart offer.

I do. I love the MAX 9, and I'm excited to fly the MAX 10. I've only flown the A321 once, and I was thoroughly unimpressed. Of course, it was an AA flight, and I was somewhere in the hinterlands of the plane; I imagine it's better closer to the front. Still, nothing about the experience made me wish that UA would take them into their fleet.
You like that luxurious feeling or narrower seats, tiny toilets and the fun terror of possibly falling out of the sky due to a manufacturing defect? To each their own but Boeing blew it on this plane.
Old May 19, 2019, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You like that luxurious feeling or narrower seats, tiny toilets and the fun terror of possibly falling out of the sky due to a manufacturing defect? To each their own but Boeing blew it on this plane.
I felt no terror and rarely use the lav on a narrowbody. And the "narrower seats" thing -- I get it, I really do. But what people always overlook is how rarely the extra inch of space usually matters. When I'm feeling squeezed in a Y seat, it's rarely by half an inch. I generally fly window seats in order to move as far away from the middle seat as I can, and I do that on the A320 series as well as the 737. To hear some people tell it, Y is comfortable on the A320. It's not.

What I do like about the MAX (at least on UA) is the airy feel to the cabin with the "Sky" interior and the space bins.
Old May 19, 2019, 9:18 pm

The same people who for years flew on The Constellation, Electra, 727, DC-10, and ATR 72.
Old May 19, 2019, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by cv11nyc
The same people who for years flew on The Constellation, Electra, 727, DC-10, and ATR 72.

Never made the Constellation or Electra but I did the DC-3, Convair 580, FH-227, BAC 111, Convair 880, DC-8, 707 Grumman Goose, DC-9-10, Martin like 404 or 440, Concorde, etc.

I really enjoyed United's 737 in the early 1970's, but it started getting a little tired in the 1980s with that 737-300 and those oval engines sitting low to the ground. The 737 is one of the first planes I flew almost 50 years ago, and now it may be one of the last planes I fly in my lifetime. Boeing with the 737 MAX was apparently inspired by the movie Groundhog Day. When the 737 first came out there was a TV show called Greenacres. One character was Mr. Haney. (Google Mr. Haney Greenacres and watch a video). He would always say, "do I have a deal for you." Dress CEO Muilenberg up as Mr, Haney and do a Greenacres MAX remake. The 737 program should have faded into the past with Greenacres.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cv11nyc
I was never worried about stepping onboard a DC-10. Same with the early 737s after their early problems, and I’m not going to book away from the Max when it returns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.