Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by halls120

I was never worried about stepping onboard a DC-10. Same with the early 737s after their early problems, and I’m not going to book away from the Max when it returns.
I was not concerned about the DC 10 because I understood the problems and the fix. I was booked on the PIT-PBI leg 2 days after US 427 went down. Since the 737-300 came out I always questioned how far they can drag out this old plane without having control issues. US redesignated the flight as 2427 the day I flew it, but to this day, I feel the 737 has literally been stretched too far. Without an aggressive MCAS, do we see more stall propensity with MAXA?
Old May 20, 2019, 4:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BF263533
I was not concerned about the DC 10 because I understood the problems and the fix. I was booked on the PIT-PBI leg 2 days after US 427 went down. Since the 737-300 came out I always questioned how far they can drag out this old plane without having control issues. US redesignated the flight as 2427 the day I flew it, but to this day, I feel the 737 has literally been stretched too far. Without an aggressive MCAS, do we see more stall propensity with MAXA?
As I have posted on the other Max thread, two people I know and trust - a college classmate and my brother, both with over 15000 hours on commercial aircraft - believe that the Boeing design is only part of the problem. They both believe that far too many pilots today are proficient at pushing computer buttons and not flying the aircraft with their hands and brains. Yes, Boeing should have required dual inputs to the MCAS system, and yes, Boeing should have done a better job in training pilots on the new system. But as other pilots commenting on this incident have noted, critical mistakes unrelated to MCAS were made by the pilots in both crashes.

Both my college classmate and my brother would have no problem flying or riding on a max aircraft. I trust them more than I do armchair observers who have marginal or no left seat experience.
Old May 20, 2019, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had my strangest flight experience ever on a MAX from Bkk to Pvg on shanghai airlines. After takeoff we kind of cycled between incredible power to the engines and complete loss of power for about 10 minutes. There was also a feeling of not being stable in altitude. Eventually we reached cruising altitude and all was ok (except for the horrible toilets) but the accidents made me think of this again and from that point on I’ve always wondered what happened in the cockpit that day. I’ve flown out of BKK probably 100 times and this is the only time I experienced such a flight pattern. For me, I’ll wait a long time before I get on one of those Boeing MAXs.
Old May 20, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I had my strangest flight experience ever on a MAX from Bkk to Pvg on shanghai airlines. After takeoff we kind of cycled between incredible power to the engines and complete loss of power for about 10 minutes. There was also a feeling of not being stable in altitude.
MCAS has nothing (as in, nothing) to do with engine power settings.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR764

I’m nowhere near qualified enough to know anything about this sort of issue. All I can say is that from the perspective of a guy who has flown probably 3 million miles, it was a weird feeling I’ve never felt before or since. Might have been the MAX or might have been something else. I just know I don’t wanna fly that plane in the near future.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:47 am

Once the grounding is over and all the necessary agencies sign off on the plane, it will probably be the safest aircraft to fly on. No other plane will have it's systems so thoroughly examined by so many people.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
I had my strangest flight experience ever on a MAX from Bkk to Pvg on shanghai airlines. After takeoff we kind of cycled between incredible power to the engines and complete loss of power for about 10 minutes. There was also a feeling of not being stable in altitude. Eventually we reached cruising altitude and all was ok (except for the horrible toilets) but the accidents made me think of this again and from that point on I’ve always wondered what happened in the cockpit that day. I’ve flown out of BKK probably 100 times and this is the only time I experienced such a flight pattern. For me, I’ll wait a long time before I get on one of those Boeing MAXs.
Irrespective of the Max issue ,Speed up, slow down ,climb rates are more a feature of traffic patterns and spacing as anything sinster.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH FT, Marriott Plat, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PPlus
Originally Posted by EWR764

Only when you try to counteract a nose down from the stabilizer with a pitch up created by the engines.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mynolix
Only when you try to counteract a nose down from the stabilizer with a pitch up created by the engines.
The pitch up from engine power is less than on the NGs, since they're higher and closer to the aircraft CG.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by BF263533
Without an aggressive MCAS, do we see more stall propensity with MAXA?
MCAS is not, and never has been, an anti-stall or stall prevention system.

My understanding is that the 737-10 MAX does not need MCAS as the high-AoA pitch forces are conventional. The airplane is not yet certified, though, so that could change.

I had my strangest flight experience ever on a MAX from Bkk to Pvg on shanghai airlines. After takeoff we kind of cycled between incredible power to the engines and complete loss of power for about 10 minutes.
That sounds like step-climbs common in busy terminal airspace. At low altitude, the power comes way back when leveling off below 10,000' so as to not exceed the 250 knot airspeed limit.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by mynolix
IOW, an incorrect, un-trained response to unscheduled stabilizer trim.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:49 pm

Putting aside the thousands of news reports that refer to MCAS as being anti-stall, MCAS still seems to have close ties to stall situations:

Here is a Freedom of Information Request submitted to the FAA:

https://www.americanoversight.org/wp...-19-0432-1.pdf

According to the Seattle Times, engineers directly involved with Boeing’s safety analysis of MCAS told the paper that the analysis

“understated the power of the new flight control system, which was designed to swivel the horizontal tail to push the nose of the plane down to avert a stall.”3

https://www.faa.gov/news/testimony/n...=105_Testimony

Statement of Daniel K. Elwell, Acting Administrator

“To date, the FAA has tested this enhancement to the 737 MAX flight control system in both the simulator and the aircraft. The testing, which was conducted by FAA flight test engineers and flight test pilots, included aerodynamic stall situations and recovery procedures. The FAA’s ongoing review of this software installation and training is an agency priority, as will be the roll-out of any software, training, or other measures to operators of the 737 MAX.”
Old May 22, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by jsloan
I felt no terror and rarely use the lav on a narrowbody. And the "narrower seats" thing -- I get it, I really do. But what people always overlook is how rarely the extra inch of space usually matters. When I'm feeling squeezed in a Y seat, it's rarely by half an inch.
You don't use the lavs so if they suck who cares? Its only an inch or so? By that reasoning I could happily wear size 8 shoes.

Maybe the plane isn't a death trap, but crappy lavs, and skinny seating are not good.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 22, 2019 at 12:56 am Reason: overly personalized comments removed -- stick to the issue
Old May 22, 2019, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by denver19
You don't use the lavs so if they suck who cares?
I do not care about a small Y lavatory on a narrowbody plane.

Originally Posted by denver19
Its only an inch or so? By that reasoning I could happily wear size 8 shoes.
The difference in seat width between the A320 series and the B737 is one inch per seat, and it doesn't matter to me. Neither is wide enough for me to find it comfortable in Y.

The fact of the matter is, neither of these planes is going to be particularly comfortable in Y, so that part is a draw. I already explained my preference for the MAX, which has nothing to do with the width.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 22, 2019 at 12:58 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit; removed response to deleted content
Old May 22, 2019, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
The difference in seat width between the A320 series and the B737 is one inch per seat
Half inch at shoulder level.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.