FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - B737MAX Recertification - Archive
View Single Post
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:21 am
Newman55

Originally Posted by spin88
While I agree that the chances the planes are scrapped is zero, lots of folks saw this entire thing as a bunch about nothing, all the fault of 3rd world pilots. Ain't turned out to be reflective of reality.

Per the NYT:

We see increasing risk that the F.A.A. won’t follow through with a certification flight in November and lift the emergency grounding order in December,” UBS said in a note downgrading the stock. “We think a push out of the return to service could increase the likelihood of a pause on the 737 Max production system.”

Seth M. Seifman, an analyst at JPMorgan Chase, said the revelation of the messages “makes it more challenging for regulators to endorse the 737 Max near term.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/21/b...gtype=Homepage

Boeing is in a world o'hurt. My guess is the CEO is toast, they will announce a few more billion in costs (pusting it to over $10B in costs) making the decission to go with the MAX one of the worst in history, it will cost them more than a clean sheet design would have, and they end up with a tainted dud of a plane...

The big (as in billions and billions more) question is if they get regulatory approval before they are forced to shut down the MAX line for a period of time....
Pilot experience and bad maintenance was clearly part of the equation on why these aircraft crashed. You can refresh your memory by reading up thread, why that’s so.

Boeing was never going to go with a clean sheet design to replace the smaller passenger count 737s. The 797 will only complement the 737.

Everyone recognizes that they have screwed up the software of the plane, but once that is fixed the aircraft will have a long life.

Unless you are a Boeing shareholder, I’m not sure why anyone cares that much about costs. Clearly, some still love the 380 and it’s lost billions of dollars and will never break even.