Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Free or paid offers?
So far the reports have all been free, though it wouldn't surprise me if UA has monetization strategies in the works ("bidding" for E+ in the same vein as "bidding for bumps"/VBP would be one idea) -- this is clearly a program that's generally being tweaked.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
So far the reports have all been free, though it wouldn't surprise me if UA has monetization strategies in the works ("bidding" for E+ in the same vein as "bidding for bumps"/VBP would be one idea) -- this is clearly a program that's generally being tweaked.
And they've tweaked it so well too!

David
Old Aug 20, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Well, we found an alternative. Use the the UA website and just book as a guest. When the transaction has been completed, call and have them insert the MP#. They did this because they wanted the get the 5 times credit on the AMEX Platinum card ( Expedia wouldn't count ). It worked.
I THINK one only gets the 5x miles for travel booked directly on amextravel.com or directly with an amex platinum concierge.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by nmenaker
I THINK one only gets the 5x miles for travel booked directly on amextravel.com or directly with an amex platinum concierge.
No, it's any ticket booked directly with the airline.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by 1KHI
No, it's any ticket booked directly with the airline.
indeed, I sit corrected. It's a bummer that FHR bookings are not though. that makes no sense. maybe because they are already giving away enough in benefits for FHR bookings
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by rowenb
Looking just now at one-way ORD-MSP pricing on Sep 10th across various flights.

I still see a $40 BE differential on the one flight where G is available, and a $20 BE differential on flights where K or L is the lowest available fare class.
Last night I was again looking at ORD-MSP pricing, this time for Sep 27th. On the one flight where G was available, the BE differential was still $40 ($82 vs $42). However, on all of the flights where K was the lowest available fare class, the BE differential had narrowed since my previous observation last week, from $20 to $10 ($90 vs $80).
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:15 pm

How strict is the small carry on rule? I rarely fly United but I had a voucher expiring from when when united messed up my last trip and didn't realize uniteds basic economy meant no real carry on (my fault for not reading their TOS).

I travel with an osprey farpoint 40 liter backpack which is not close to full, but I'm doubtful it will fit under the seat. https://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Farpoi...dp/B014EBM3KA?. Will I get away with this or would I have to gate check? I'd be okay if they make me check it in at the counter.

Last edited by ghetto_economy; Aug 22, 2017 at 4:19 pm
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ghetto_economy
.... I travel with an osprey farpoint 40 liter backpack which is not close to full, but I'm doubtful it will fit under the seat.
Listed at 22"H x 14"W x 9"D, this is basically the max size for a regular carryon and well above 17x10x9 the personal item limits (2x in volume)

How strict is the small carry on rule?
Will I get away with this or would I have to gate check? I'd be okay if they make me check it in at the counter.....
Generally enforcement on carryon and personal items have been lax but suspect agents are more vigilant for those in BE boarding group, BG5. If you had status or a credit card earlier boarding privileges, you would probably be OK but if in BG5, I would expect closer scrutiny. May want to check the bag early to avoid the gate fee.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How strict is the small carry on rule?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Unless you have status with United -- unlikely, since you say that you rarely fly them -- or you have a qualifying United credit card, Basic Economy means boarding group 5, and boarding group 5 means no carry on (personal item only). You can expect to be required to check in at the counter, where they will remind you of the no-carry-on rule. If they think your bag is too big, they'll make you check it.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Generally enforcement on carryon and personal items have been lax but suspect agents are more vigilant for those in BE boarding group, BG5. If you had status or a credit card earlier boarding privileges, you would probably be OK but if in BG5, I would expect closer scrutiny. May want to check the bag early to avoid the gate fee.
Well, someone with status / a Chase United credit card wouldn't have the carry-on restriction in the first place.

Every boarding announcement that I've heard recently has mentioned the carry on policy, and when I look at boarding group 5, it seems that people are complying. I assume that means that enforcement at the counter is pretty good.

When it comes down to it, it's $25 to check the bag at the counter or $50 to check it at the gate. So, you're risking $25 to save $25. It really depends upon your risk tolerance, I suppose.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I travel with an osprey farpoint 40 liter backpack which is not close to full, but I'm doubtful it will fit under the seat. [
40 liters I would expect them to force you to check that. That's not a daypack, it's a real backpack (albeit a small one).

As jsloan notes, you're risking an extra $25 charge if you take it to the gate.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
As jsloan notes, you're risking an extra $25 charge if you take it to the gate.
$50; $25 bag fee + $25 service fee
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:44 pm

Thanks for the replies

Might go to the counter and see what they say. Apparently you have to check in there on a basic economy fare if not checking a bag- some scarlet letter .....

I think it's easier to get away with the oversized personal item as its a backpack but we'll see. I'll report back.

On another note, is that basic economy crap coming to any more airlines? Haven't had issues with this carry on on super cheap Asian /European carriers.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... On another note, is that basic economy crap coming to any more airlines? ....
Yes, DL was the first, AA to follow in September.

...Haven't had issues with this carry on on super cheap Asian /European carriers.
Yes, others are adding. The Lufthansa group has Light fares -- only a personal item (with a weight limit). And many others..... now or soon.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mduell
$50; $25 bag fee + $25 service fee
Right. Like I said, an extra $25 if he takes it to the gate.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
On another note, is that basic economy crap coming to any more airlines? Haven't had issues with this carry on on super cheap Asian /European carriers.
"Basic Economy" is not the same on all airlines. Delta has it on the very lowest fares only (advanced purchase discount fares) and allows you to have a carry on. What you lose is (1) upgrades and (2) ability to get an advance seat assignment.

AA is rolling it out, but only has on a few flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.