Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
Its absolutely astounding. 100 basis point impact based on a self-inflicted injury. United management has one MO and that is to beat-up (literally and figuratively) its customers and frequent fliers. It has hit home to me with the August upgrade changes and a punishing series of mechanicals. Then they wonder where all of the revenue has gone.
Someone smarter than me can calculate just how much money that cost UA. 100 basis points on their quarterly revenue. That is not an insignificant amount. But nobody will hold them responsible of course. They get their usual bonus and we get amenities and bennies cut further...
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
From The Street: "In the Pacific, (Levy) said, United is seeing 'continuing lower demand out of China than we expected to see.' United has cancelled San Francisco-Hangzhou service effective Oct. 14."

I hope they have in-theater consumer research quantifying how much of this slump is linkable to scathing post-Dao publicity in Asia.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
Its absolutely astounding. 100 basis point impact based on a self-inflicted injury. United management has one MO and that is to beat-up (literally and figuratively) its customers and frequent fliers. It has hit home to me with the August upgrade changes and a punishing series of mechanicals. Then they wonder where all of the revenue has gone.
I am personally thrilled that this "self-inflicted injury" occurred and hope the same happens to Delta and American because basic economy is a crap idea for the legacy carriers. The US3 should be taking a stand and saying "We might be $10 more than Spirit, but we're worth it."

The customers that fly LCCs more than once know what they're getting into or are getting fantastic deals that US3 still can't reach. Others fly an LCC and say "never again" because of the shoddy treatment and upcharges - now they go to United or AA and suddenly have the same purchase experience.

Intelligent corporations like Costco don't go for rock bottom, they aim for a balance of quality and price. For example, my Costco-booked UK vacation package cost the same as DIY, but included 1st class train tickets and 4* hotels (instead of my priced up 2nd class and 3*).
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
With AA rolling it out now, and no indications from Delta that it's going anywhere soon, I can't help but feel it's just a small setback for UA, and only a matter of time before it comes back bigger and better (--> worse).

Can someone translate what 100 basis points means? Maybe not in terms of revenue but what it means for the company?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kacee
Wow. Just wow.

ETA . . . Here's UA's breakdown:
Besides 150 basis points of Harvey impact, Levy said, implementation of basic economy fare is responsible for 100 basis points of decline; fare competition with ultra-low-cost carriers is responsible for 100 basis points; and declines in the Pacific are responsible for 50 basis points.
United Airlines Shares Drop as Harvey Cuts Revenue by 400 Million
More striking, to me, is that Southwest just revised its PRASM guidance upward for the quarter. Customers are clearly taking notice, and voting with their wallets.

But hey, United, that's no big deal, just stay the course and keep on diluting the product (see domestic F class cutbacks)...
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Someone smarter than me can calculate just how much money that cost UA. 100 basis points on their quarterly revenue. That is not an insignificant amount. But nobody will hold them responsible of course. They get their usual bonus and we get amenities and bennies cut further...
it is about $90M per quarter in lost revenue. The number is ever more impactful since United actually did gain revenue from the price increase, it was just swamped by losing business. Some of that traffic is permanently gone, just like with past missteps.

United is doing really, really badly. Delta just lowered its PRASM guidence to +2-3% for 3Q. United's is now (3%) - (5%) http://ir.united.com/~/media/Files/U...e-sep-2017.pdf

If I back out the 150 basis points that UA claims is due to Harvey, I get a midpoint for UA of (2.5%) while Delta's midpoint is +2.5%. This suggests that United lost - compared to Delta's performance - $450M in revenue this quarter.

This comes on top of quarter after quarter of under-performance in revenue.

As someone who called this from the beginning (check out my early posts in the BE thread) I am not surprised. United just fundamentally does not understand the markets in which they operate, and believes they can run their business off a spreadsheet. Hunter Keay says they ought to monetize their elites, and they jump. A crazy BE rip off is the result.

And oh, confirmation that sure enough they have really damaged themselves in Chinese markets. Not a surprise.

Run a crappy, anti-consumer business, and people eventually catch on.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Hey, Kirby, "we voted with our wallets". Take that BE nonsense somewhere else.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Now that AA has finally rolled out BE to nationwide coverage, the saga will continue. Should give UA a boost back as AA isn't an airline people can run to anymore. Further BE adjustments by all carriers would be expected. It will be really interesting to see 4th quarter financial numbers now that the legacies are on a relatively even domestic playing field for the first time in about 5 years.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by JHake10
It's my understanding that it's his baby. It's not going to go away unless he goes away.

It's complicated as the other legacy airlines have/are rolling out there own forms of BE. UAs BE IMO is the worst of the bunch and was rolled out utterly poorly.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by JHake10
I don't see many people standing in the Group 5 line at boarding. In fact most flights are void of those people completely.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Darlox
I'll be curious to see... bearing in mind that most leisure travelers (and surprisingly many business travelers) use OTAs to book, or at least an aggregator to SEARCH for fares that are then booked directly.

Customers see Spirit and UA and AA in a search results page with that little "warning" icon, or even miss that and proceed to book where you're presented with a big orange warning about the things you're not getting. Then you see WN and DL and others with no little warning icon, and/or opportunities to buy-up, but nothing indicating that the baseline is anything other than "coach"...

Friction matters in commerce. Humans, like electricity and water, will generally follow the path of least-resistance. Add friction, reduce sales.
Your thesis does nothing to explain why DL has been successful in five years of efforts with BE and UA is not. Delta's BE fares are plainly identified on delta.com, orbitz.com, expedia.com, and travelocity.com on the very first flight selection/price screen.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Your thesis does nothing to explain why DL has been successful in five years of efforts with BE and UA is not. Delta's BE fares are plainly identified on delta.com, orbitz.com, expedia.com, and travelocity.com on the very first flight selection/price screen.
Indeed! But only on competitive routes where options are apples-to-apples. UA's BE started popping up across the board, giving them the little "warning" icon where NONE existed before -- and, in fact, on routes not even served by LCCs.

I have no (well, fewer) problems with BE as a competitive tool. As a way to rake naive flyers over the coals, in the way UA did, however... nope.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by ermintrude
It's complicated as the other legacy airlines have/are rolling out there own forms of BE. UAs BE IMO is the worst of the bunch and was rolled out utterly poorly.
And this is the key point. Delta has had a limited form of BE for several years. No way they were going to follow what a looser of an airline like United did. AA chose to go with a less extreme version of BE, and then roll it out slowly. United decided to stick a shiv into its elite fliers with a tax that hits those loyal to United the worst.

Delta has sat back and picked up some traffic, AS/VX and WN have benefited quite a bit, WN probably the most.

The entire thing has been a major disaster for United. While they have backed off the fares they offered BE on (rescinding the elite tax on mid-range priced flights and taking it off some competitive routes other than in the very lowest range fares, in effect matching what DL does) they still have the worst deal BE wise of any of the big three. United elites - and corporate travel departments - will take UA's extreme version of BE into account in deciding who they want to fly moving forward, so the damage is likely to continue.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Collierkr
I don't see many people standing in the Group 5 line at boarding. In fact most flights are void of those people completely.
Actually, quite the contrary, lots of those boarding late are clutching those colored BPs. I imagine those in Group 5 have no reason to line up early anymore, so basing low uptake on gate lice is skewed.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You are buying the fake narrative that what UA has done is just like what Delta did. They are VERY different.

Delta only has had BE on some routes where it faced ULCC (mostly NK) competition, and then only in the very lowest fare bucket, and then BE as only a little bit (usually $10 o/w) cheaper. And if you buy a DL BE, you can still being on a roll-away, you still get FF status credit. Any DL elite flier loses access to C+/F upgrade shot. Non-elites don't really lose much at all since they may be unlikely to get a good seat anyway.

What Delta did impacted far fewer people, than then the impacts were not as major (or the price change) as great as the extreme form of BE UA rolled out.

As I have said many times, flying DL 350K+ miles in the last few years I have never, not once, been offered a BE by DL. United I was seeing them on every single flight I looked. Very different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.