Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:25 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
So how do you explain not allowing advance seat assignments, and not allowing pax to pay a fee for advance seat assignments? That is just plain irrational from a revenue perspective, unless your goal is to make the fare so unattractive that passengers will pay $20 more just to avoid it.
Again, you are allowed your opinion

To combine your question and assertion, the $20 surcharge for non N is about the same as ULCCs charge for selecting seats and having a full size carryon, so apparently I'm missing the point.

IMHO, Spirit, Frontier, Norwegian at al are trying to disrupt with ultra low fares with no carryon, no luggage, no changes a la carte pricing, and US3 want a piece of that.

As several posters pointed out, measly $20 ($40 roundtrip) isn't worth it to most, yet some want to have their cake and eat it too (figuratively, not literally).

And BTW, this is PEANUTS compared to going to revenue v. miles flown model, so really not sure what the fuss is all about.

And yes, I am a Budget Traveler, and somewhat frugal, so if I can see the logic .....

And not only is it hard on the passengers, it makes the employees' (particularly the GAs) jobs harder.
Originally Posted by jsloan
I agree. The GAs don't make the policy but are expected to enforce and defend it to irritated customers.
Something else we agree on. Since when has UA cared about its employees

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 28, 2017 at 12:56 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Again, you are allowed your opinion

To combine your question and assertion, the $20 surcharge for non N is about the same as ULCCs charge for selecting seats and having a full size carryon, so apparently I'm missing the point.

IMHO, Spirit, Frontier, Norwegian at al are trying to disrupt with ultra low fares with no carryon, no luggage, no changes a la carte pricing, and US3 want a piece of that.

As several posters pointed out, measly $20 ($40 roundtrip) isn't worth it to most, yet some want to have their cake and eat it too (figuratively, not literally).

And BTW, this is PEANUTS compared to going to revenue v. miles flown model, so really not sure what the fuss is all about.

And yes, I am a Budget Traveler, and somewhat frugal, so if I can see the logic .....
You're points would be right, IF United way matching ULCC prices. They're not!!! On the majority of routes I looked at where they are competing with Frontier or Spirit, United's BE is way more expensive, often hundreds of dollars more. If they're going to fight the ULCC's, they better match the price. Otherwise, it's a fare increase and nothing more.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:17 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by paytonc
Had a Basic Economy trip this past weekend -- for a two-day trip with warm temperatures, booked at the last minute at a genuinely low price, cramming everything into one backpack is easy.

Everything was straightforward on Sunday's outbound, including the two emails from UA warning me about the fare limitations. Checked in online.

Today, as I'm leaving for the airport, the online check-in abruptly ends at this screen (emphases in the original text):

I was not checking a bag, and at this point it was too late to get to the airport kiosk/counter to check-in. (I did indeed arrive at the airport 35 minutes before departure, precisely the moment the flight went to gate control.) So this was essentially telling me that I must pay the $25 bag fee just to check-in, or else forfeit the ticket. In the end, the counter agent made a few phone calls and got me onto a better flight.

Ironically, Spirit makes you check-in online, and charges a fee for kiosk or counter check-in. But United's competing product forces customers to go the high-touch, costly route!
Can someone explain if you are star gold / ua elite and have free baggage allowance. Can you still check in online and just select an empty bag to check in? As I am traveling carry on only I like to arrive 30 minutes prior and just head straight to precheck.

Cutting it close arriving at airport, hate to miss my flight due to this stupid IT trick.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Can someone explain if you are star gold / ua elite and have free baggage allowance. Can you still check in online and just select an empty bag to check in? As I am traveling carry on only I like to arrive 30 minutes prior and just head straight to precheck.
Yes - if you eligible to carry on a full size bag you can check in online.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
So how do you explain not allowing advance seat assignments, and not allowing pax to pay a fee for advance seat assignments? That is just plain irrational from a revenue perspective, unless your goal is to make the fare so unattractive that passengers will pay $20 more just to avoid it.
My perception on this has been two fold.
1- Make the fare unattractive/encourage the upsell as it's possibly the most tangible benefit for the "average" passenger.

2- Reduce 'gate Tetris' for non-BE passengers (a larger number of open seats to allow families/groups on non BE fares to seat themselves together in advance and reducing the amount of handling by GAs at the gate to try and seat together.

Lincoln
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by JohnneeO
I really feel that UA needs to add the check-in restrictions to the list of services that BE fares do not include. It appears from all reports that non-status, non CC holding flyers who are traveling on BE fares, and who are not paying for a checked bag are prevented from checking in online.

It's fine that UA is imposing these restrictions, but not fine that they are not upfront about it.
Originally Posted by fastair
A known issue, not by design.
Whether by design or not, in practice it is a restriction that exists.

This is the sort of thing that can unintentionally submarine whatever perception around BE fares that UA is trying to sell. Airline bashing journalism is so hot right now that this issue is ripe for a hit piece on United.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You may recall Scott Kirby's comments in the Q2 '17 earnings call bemoaning the fact that "others" were not as rapid in their deployment of Basic Economy, leading to a competitive disadvantage for United. AA's President Don Isom confirmed in his company's call this morning that AA did see a "modest share shift" as a result but that the total revenue was "very marginal." Most telling: AA also believes that it will make more money by completing its BE rollout rather than holding back and trying to poach the occasional customer defection away from OAL's.

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by zeer0
On the majority of routes I looked at where they are competing with Frontier or Spirit, United's BE is way more expensive, often hundreds of dollars more.
Load factors are quite high. No reason to lower fares if the planes are full. Will be interesting to see what happens when the demand/capacity equation shifts and there is an excess in supply. BE gives them a way to lower fares to fill unsold seats with less poaching of the higher-fare sales.

I think one of the major drivers of the BE fares is to reduce turn times, increasing utilization and decreasing delays, by having a block of passengers without large carry ons. It seems to be working from what I've seen on the 737. Far fewer last minute gate checks on most flights.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I think one of the major drivers of the BE fares is to reduce turn times, increasing utilization and decreasing delays, by having a block of passengers without large carry ons. It seems to be working from what I've seen on the 737. Far fewer last minute gate checks on most flights.
Reducing carry-ons is absolutely an overall positive. It's other aspects of these fares (and the way that UA markets them) that are most annoying.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Yep...my observations have been the same. I've actually seen bins go out empty which I can't say I've seen since CO started charging to check baggage for non-elites.

Interestingly in EDI yesterday I heard the BA version of the "looking for volunteers to check bags" which included the enticement to "priority board along with our Bronze Card holders" for those choosing to check their carryon at no charge.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
which included the enticement to "priority board along with our Bronze Card holders" for those choosing to check their carryon at no charge.
UA (and the other domestic carriers) do this from time to time as well.

Not sure what the value proposition is to being in a coach seat earlier if I don't need to store a bag, though.

As for reduced carry-ons, I believe the company said something like 10-15% reduction in gate-checked bags so far. That's not enough to move the needle for on-time performance IMO, but I also believe that number is soft.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sbm12
...Not sure what the value proposition is to being in a coach seat earlier if I don't need to store a bag, though...
Masochists with aisle seat assignments who love being whacked by shoulder bags see value.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Masochists with aisle seat assignments who love being whacked by shoulder bags see value.
Or my personal favorite, the dude who thinks your headrest is his armrest as he waits in the aisle.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K
For me, the single biggest issue is that, unlike a LCC, I can't buy out of the BE limitations. A lot of my flights are booked for me and I'd be happy to pay the surcharge, but I wouldn't be given the option.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:16 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by segiddins
For me, the single biggest issue is that, unlike a LCC, I can't buy out of the BE limitations. A lot of my flights are booked for me and I'd be happy to pay the surcharge, but I wouldn't be given the option.
Apparently they don't value you very much if they dump you into BE

Seriously though, I was in that positon as well, though that was back in CO days when they only gave 50% EQM unless booked in higher class and/or on CO.com IIRC (it's been a while).

And if they really are out to generate extra revenue, they ought to allow pax to buy up, especially if within 24 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.