Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Has UA Zeroed ALL Advance Polaris PZ Inventory?{Resolved or is it?Expert Mode error?}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has UA Zeroed ALL Advance Polaris PZ Inventory?{Resolved or is it?Expert Mode error?}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by Kacee
If that was the goal, they would just remove PZ from the display.
I'm not sure this isn't what they are doing.....

​​​​​​<Please turn on your sorta humour detector..>
Kacee likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: United 1K, (1MM), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
So with the exception of a brief one or two day interlude during which PZ was restored, the website has not been showing PZ for the better part of two weeks now. It's a sad comment that we're now so inured to this kind of nonsense that the tone here is resignation rather than outrage.

And of course no message or acknowledgment by UA.
I agree. But after spending a lot of wasted time on the phone with 1K and web support not sure what else to do. Also sent a couple of emails to mileage plus customer and web support without acknowledgement. If this is a new reality then I know what my future options will be!
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So with the exception of a brief one or two day interlude during which PZ was restored, the website has not been showing PZ for the better part of two weeks now. It's a sad comment that we're now so inured to this kind of nonsense that the tone here is resignation rather than outrage.

More important things in life right now. Once I am done with those I'll be happy to break out my pitchfork and torch!
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K
FWIW, our upgrades cleared automatically while PZ0 on web site.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
So are the upgrades automatically done based on the website availability? If not, then as much as I would hate to be calling in on these issues this week, if all my flights where I am waiting for the upgrades are showing IN and PN then I am going to need to call in to see if there is PZ availability.
Ticketed SFO-HKG on 1/7 – PZ0 (confirmed this status with 1K desk at time of purchase). One M class, one V class ticket.
Notified on 1/31 that GPU cleared for both. Flight is still PZ0 on web site.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

Where is @UAInsider?
The fact that United has not even acknowledged this is what makes me the most angry.

I called yesterday -- she had no idea what I was talking about and I could tell she didn't believe me. I got a sympathetic "Try another date" .
I tried to prove it to her by asking her to search ORD-FRA.
"What is your date of travel?"
Any day! I am completely flexible. Please tell me when the next UG is available in 2019.
Of course she couldn't find anything --- but I could tell she gave up after a few tries and just wanted me gone. It was 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back and it did no good whatsoever.

I also sent an email to 1kvoice a few days ago -- no reply.

Combine this with not being able to get TG/SQ space and having to check my current reservation every couple hours because my seat keeps disappearing....
My 1K status is very close to becoming worthless to me.
Steve Kirkham likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by optimom
Ticketed SFO-HKG on 1/7 – PZ0 (confirmed this status with 1K desk at time of purchase). One M class, one V class ticket.
Notified on 1/31 that GPU cleared for both. Flight is still PZ0 on web site.
That simply means you missed the window of seeing PZ>0. I've cleared many upgrades where the class I needed was zero only to wake up the next morning (while living in Asia) to see that the upgrade cleared and the bucket was still zero. It means it opened up and the upgrade processed as it should have.

This is actually what people want to happen if you read any of the other numerous threads on this topic. The bucket should technically never open visually if there's a waitlist for upgrades and the number of seats released is less than or equal to the number on the waitlist. It should open and the upgrade process should happen immediately. This isn't what happens. Yet people get surprised when they get upgraded while the bucket shows "0". You'd literally have to catch it the second it opens before the upgrade sweep runs. Some upgrade sweeps don't run for hours after the inventory opens while others are run pretty close to the inventory becoming available (it's also possible inventory is only opened right before the scheduled upgrade sweep).

-RM
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
This is actually what people want to happen if you read any of the other numerous threads on this topic.
Nonsense. People want UA to fix SHARES so it can process upgrades dynamically.

It takes a really special kind of logic to see zeroing the PZ display as a "solution."
SS255, kb1992, goodeats21 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
... I've cleared many upgrades where the class I needed was zero only to wake up the next morning (while living in Asia) to see that the upgrade cleared and the bucket was still zero. It means it opened up and the upgrade processed as it should have.

This is actually what people want to happen if you read any of the other numerous threads on this topic. The bucket should technically never open visually if there's a waitlist for upgrades and the number of seats released is less than or equal to the number on the waitlist. It should open and the upgrade process should happen immediately. This isn't what happens...

-RM
+1

This is how it is supposed to work. However, FT taught me people call in even though they are on the UG list. I most often fly midweek but still need to call in to get some of the UGs pushed through. Very annoying when it should be automated and based on time of booking.

Perhaps this is the first step to properly implementing a waitlist and upgrade system....or perhaps second as first step was taking away visibility except upgrades at the gate.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Hold on everyone. Let's not conflate 2 very separate issues:

1) United not showing accurate PZ bucket information for any flight, any time is a new, significant problem. Affects everyone's ability to make purchase decisions based on upgrade availability...GPU / RPU or Miles and Money. This needs to be fixed.

2) There is a long-standing issue with United not dynamically clearing waitlisted upgrades when PZ>0. Issue 1 is not a fix for issue 2.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Has anyone had pushback (or tried) to have an agent search a large range of dates for open PZ?

I was thinking of calling in and saying, "I'm looking for W and PZ on a Wednesday - Saturday flight in the next 3 months from AAA or BBB or CCC - DDD, and then the same DDD - AAA, BBB or CCC 6 days later. Since PZ has been pulled from expert mode, can you help me find that? I'll wait."

After enough of these calls, and lengthening call queues, you would think UA would need to fix the issue.
kb1992 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Hold on everyone. Let's not conflate 2 very separate issues:

1) United not showing accurate PZ bucket information for any flight, any time is a new, significant problem. Affects everyone's ability to make purchase decisions based on upgrade availability...GPU / RPU or Miles and Money. This needs to be fixed.

2) There is a long-standing issue with United not dynamically clearing waitlisted upgrades when PZ>0. Issue 1 is not a fix for issue 2.
You missed the point I was making. United states the CS agents are not supposed to push through the UGs - it is supposed to go by the waitlist. So if EF shows PZ=0, then people will not call to push through the UG and it will allow the dynamic waitlist to occur. As someone who patiently waits (most of the time) I would prefer the approach of not showing PZ so the UGs occur the way they are supposed to occur. We already have the reports that PZ is there (if it shows IN....)
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You missed the point I was making. United states the CS agents are not supposed to push through the UGs - it is supposed to go by the waitlist. So if EF shows PZ=0, then people will not call to push through the UG and it will allow the dynamic waitlist to occur. As someone who patiently waits (most of the time) I would prefer the approach of not showing PZ so the UGs occur the way they are supposed to occur. We already have the reports that PZ is there (if it shows IN....)
If you're right -- and I don't think you are -- this is like using a hatchet to fix a pimple.

The only GPU I've ever waitlisted was on LH from J to F, where I would have been OK if it hadn't cleared. Every other GPU, I've had clear at booking into open R / PZ space. I understand that not everyone is in this camp, and I'm not trying to suggest they shouldn't do anything to fix queue jumping. But if this means that I can't use my GPUs -- I'm in the position where I can choose not to fly instead of risking a waitlisted longhaul upgrade -- then it makes 1K nearly worthless to me.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If that was the goal, they would just remove PZ from the display.

Queue jumping would be a miniscule proportion of daily calls. I would imagine that 99.9%+ of UA flyers have no idea what PZ even is. (Which is likely why this is such a low priority for them to fix.)
Not to mention that it will be dwarfed by the number of people calling to inquire about PZ space.

Originally Posted by jsloan
If you're right -- and I don't think you are -- this is like using a hatchet to fix a pimple.

The only GPU I've ever waitlisted was on LH from J to F, where I would have been OK if it hadn't cleared. Every other GPU, I've had clear at booking into open R / PZ space. I understand that not everyone is in this camp, and I'm not trying to suggest they shouldn't do anything to fix queue jumping. But if this means that I can't use my GPUs -- I'm in the position where I can choose not to fly instead of risking a waitlisted longhaul upgrade -- then it makes 1K nearly worthless to me.
Agreed (although I have waitlisted LH PE).
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Nah, I got your point. And I would support United adhering to the waitlist when clearing upgrades (though I don't really care about it).
The fix for that separate problem is to adhere to their process....and training their agents.

But the fix is not to hide PZ bucket info, which is the topic at hand.
Clearing out all PZ inventory is a major devaluation to the M+ program...not the cure for a specific, unrelated problem.
kb1992 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:43 pm

Has anyone been able to complete a MileagePlus Upgrade award by calling in?

I'm someone without any United status who's been saving up miles to upgrade a couple of long haul flights I have planned, and it would suck if it MileagePlus upgrade option was taken away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.