Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Has UA Zeroed ALL Advance Polaris PZ Inventory?{Resolved or is it?Expert Mode error?}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has UA Zeroed ALL Advance Polaris PZ Inventory?{Resolved or is it?Expert Mode error?}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sameruval
Has anyone been able to complete a MileagePlus Upgrade award by calling in?
An agent can clear the upgrade if there's PZ. It should also clear if you apply the upgrade through the website. You just cannot currently search for upgrade (PZ) inventory before booking. So you're basically shooting blind.

Waitlists are definitely processing. I cleared HKG-SFO this morning.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
An agent can clear the upgrade if there's PZ. It should also clear if you apply the upgrade through the website. You just cannot currently search for upgrade (PZ) inventory before booking. So you're basically shooting blind.

Waitlists are definitely processing. I cleared HKG-SFO this morning.
Thanks. I guess if I booked by phone I'd be able to confirm availability before booking then?

I really hope this is just a temporary IT issue.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sameruval
Thanks. I guess if I booked by phone I'd be able to confirm availability before booking then?

I really hope this is just a temporary IT issue.
Yes, that should be the case, though if you're like me and wanting to search for any available PZ space on a given set of routes and dates (e.g. all TATLs from the east coast in a one week period), that figures to be quite the onerous task for an agent, which s/he might give you pushback on.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
Yes, that should be the case, though if you're like me and wanting to search for any available PZ space on a given set of routes and dates (e.g. all TATLs from the east coast in a one week period), that figures to be quite the onerous task for an agent, which s/he might give you pushback on.
Well I guess let's hope that this is A) a glitch and B) they'll fix it soon.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:02 am

I want to check on a TATL flight on Thanksgiving. Too early to call?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
I want to check on a TATL flight on Thanksgiving. Too early to call?
Not too early. Though one indicator to tell if you're wasting time calling is to see if there's PN. If there's no PN, there won't be PZ.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
I sent a note about the problem to 1K Voice, and here's the non-response that I got from web support:

Dear aindfan:

Thank you for contacting United.com Web Support.

Please accept my sincere apology for the frustration and inconvenience you have experienced. Due to the New Polaris Business class and the New Premium Economy class being introduced, we have realigned our booking classes. I have forwarded this information on to our Product development for further review.

Once again, we truly regret causing you any disappointment and inconvenience.

We appreciate our loyal business as a Premier 1K Member, and thank you for using united.com

With Regards,
<Name>
United.com Web Support
I'm planning to respond with a follow up to clarify that I have no problem with the fare code realignment. The response sounds like a pre-canned answer to "Why can't I find R class?"
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:29 am

Not too early. Though one indicator to tell if you're wasting time calling is to see if there's PN. If there's no PN, there won't be PZ.
I am so grateful for your suggestion. In the past I stupidly would always only search for "W" fare. This makes it so much easier. Found both legs with PN9 available and will call UA when they open in the morning.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Nonsense. People want UA to fix SHARES so it can process upgrades dynamically.

It takes a really special kind of logic to see zeroing the PZ display as a "solution."
I replied to the poster I "quoted" in my thread. I did not make any comments about zeroing PZ as a solution. I opined that the system seems to be working as it "should"...PZ opens up right before upgrades process. How is that not the dynamic process everyone clamors for? We have no proof this is what United is actually doing but we absolutely also have no proof UA has zeroed PZ as a "solution".

It isn't any kind of "special logic" to zero out PZ when PZ is not zeroed out and IS working. People on this thread just can't find the right flights. For example ORD-MSP on 2-7 has PZ1 I1 IN1 on the 610pm departure. So PZ does exist. The fact that people aren't seeing PZ when booking but getting upgraded at a later time simply means PZ opened before the upgrade window and the upgrade processed. I'm simply suggesting this is a REAL possibility.

-RM
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:52 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I replied to the poster I "quoted" in my thread. I did not make any comments about zeroing PZ as a solution. I opined that the system seems to be working as it "should"...PZ opens up right before upgrades process. How is that not the dynamic process everyone clamors for? We have no proof this is what United is actually doing but we absolutely also have no proof UA has zeroed PZ as a "solution".

It isn't any kind of "special logic" to zero out PZ when PZ is not zeroed out and IS working. People on this thread just can't find the right flights. For example ORD-MSP on 2-7 has PZ1 I1 IN1 on the 610pm departure. So PZ does exist. The fact that people aren't seeing PZ when booking but getting upgraded at a later time simply means PZ opened before the upgrade window and the upgrade processed. I'm simply suggesting this is a REAL possibility.

-RM
Just to spell out what I think you're saying (this is like 99% what you were already saying but the extra 1% might help) the suggestion is that the system is functioning correctly -- PZ is opening, but then people are immediately clearing off the waitlist which therefore causes PZ to return to zero, so unless you look at the precise instant between PZ opening and the system processing the upgrades, you wouldn't ever see PZ>0 on that flight? In contrast to previous reports where PZ>0 but upgrades were stuck for whatever reason.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So PZ does exist. The fact that people aren't seeing PZ when booking but getting upgraded at a later time simply means PZ opened before the upgrade window and the upgrade processed. I'm simply suggesting this is a REAL possibility.
It isn't.

There are two reasons for this. One -- there are quite a few reports in this thread of people being able to get upgraded immediately by calling, as the agents see the PZ space. Two -- UA has never had more availability for saver awards than upgrades. It makes little business sense for them to allow someone to use miles to book a seat but not to allow them to use miles + copay to upgrade a seat.

It simply isn't possible that the system is functioning properly.
Miggles, Ari, chavala and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Picked up by Zach at TPG (link). Agree with others that the more publicity about this, the better.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

-RM
How does that work for flights with no upgrade window?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

So PZ does exist. The fact that people aren't seeing PZ when booking but getting upgraded at a later time simply means PZ opened before the upgrade window and the upgrade processed. I'm simply suggesting this is a REAL possibility.

-RM
That's just flat wrong. Find one Polaris flight showing PZ open right now. PN9 PZ0 IN9 could not be a clearer indication the display is broken.

Originally Posted by aindfan
I sent a note about the problem to 1K Voice, and here's the non-response that I got from web support:
I also sent a note, also mentioned inability to book SQ, TG, and TP. Got a legit response saying my comments would be passed to management.

ETA: And now we have a blog post from Zach Honig on TPG. United PZ Upgrade Bug Won't be surprised to see a fix (at least temporarily) shortly.
chavala and Steve Kirkham like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 3, 2019 at 7:36 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:20 pm

At least for my example it was broken. Just booked a family member on SFO-TPE on feb 13. App shows PZ0 but applied upgrade and cleared immediately right after booking. I took a chance knowing this flight on weekdays always upgradable but if it didn’t take would have refunded and called in to search for confirmable space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.