Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Has UA Zeroed ALL Advance Polaris PZ Inventory?{Resolved or is it?Expert Mode error?}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has UA Zeroed ALL Advance Polaris PZ Inventory?{Resolved or is it?Expert Mode error?}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by realityking
I'm seeing widely different P inventory between the mobile app and the website (like P6 vs P0). I wonder if that's related to some change being in progress.
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's more likely that you're searching inventory from two different countries. The website will use the inventory for whatever country you have selected, until you get to the payment screen and select your credit card -- then it uses your billing address. The mobile app gives you an option in the advanced search to select a region, although I assume it still validates it later.
Does this mean that there can be instances where P=0 (due to POS restrictions) and PN/PZ>0, which would violate the norm that PN and PZ are a subsets of P? For instance, with a US POS a NRT-SFO flight might be P9 PN6 PZ2, whereas with a Japan POS the same flight would be P0 PN6 PZ2. Or would PN/PZ be tied to the local POS P bucket as well and therefore vary by POS?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkc192
Does this mean that there can be instances where P=0 (due to POS restrictions) and PN/PZ>0, which would violate the norm that PN and PZ are a subsets of P? For instance, with a US POS a NRT-SFO flight might be P9 PN6 PZ2, whereas with a Japan POS the same flight would be P0 PN6 PZ2. Or would PN/PZ be tied to the local POS P bucket as well and therefore vary by POS?
Upgrade inventory is global (POS-agnostic), so what you're describing is theoretically possible, although I don't know what would appear on the website.

In practice, it's highly unlikely that UA would have upgrade space available for anybody while refusing to sell someone a P fare due to a POS restriction.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jsloan
Upgrade inventory is global (POS-agnostic), so what you're describing is theoretically possible, although I don't know what would appear on the website.

In practice, it's highly unlikely that UA would have upgrade space available for anybody while refusing to sell someone a P fare due to a POS restriction.
Yup, that's about in line with what I thought. I'll report back if I find a (seemingly rare) exception!
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Issue is back tonight? (Jan 28, 2019)
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Yep, looks like it might be back. I just found a few examples as well.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Yup. Earlier this afternoon I was seeing 9s across the board for sfo-hkg (I think it was hkg) In late sept, and pz9 to everywhere else tpac from sfo. Never saw anything like it before. Gone now.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:30 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Same here. On the phone to them to apply a Copa RPU and noticed this when checking the availability.

She is telling me that maybe all the upgraders have taken all the PZ availability with the vouchers, but no one has taken the mileage upgrades and that’s why it’s I6

I asked her to confirm with her supervisor

Will HUCA if I get the same answer when she is back

—-

Her Sup agreed with her

HUCA and the agent that picked up said that she could see the availability on her side. I asked if she could check the app on her phone to see that it doesn’t show there or on the website. She said that she doesn’t have the United app and suggested I talk to web support.

She passed me to websupport who said that they could also see availability. I ask him to check his phone or the website to see the difference and he said that he wouldn’t as could see the availability on his end. I asked him if he could pass on this report regarding the website/app not showing it and he told me that I could do that myself at United.com/feedback

Def did not get the A team there. Not bothered with calling back after to give them more training. Gl to those who need to apply one soon

Last edited by pmarrsouth; Jan 28, 2019 at 10:49 pm
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:12 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Yup, been monitoring this flight for a while. Before the issue, PZ9, but website has been showing PZ0 ever since.
Has anyone succeeded in calling in to get the upgrade confirmed for flights like this?

TIA.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:31 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JMBResona
Yup, been monitoring this flight for a while. Before the issue, PZ9, but website has been showing PZ0 ever since.
Has anyone succeeded in calling in to get the upgrade confirmed for flights like this?

TIA.
I booked an international round trip and redeemed two upgrades during the first time this glitched. While both flights were showing PZ0, I was able to book online and then apply the upgrades after they ticketed through “manage reservations.” Neither the website nor the agents were able to tell me that PZ inventory was available on both segments (the website showed nothing for both, the agent claimed one was available but the other wasn’t), so it may be that the manage reservations screen is the only place that access to the “true” inventory during these outages. Might as well try since you can cancel within 24-hours if you are unsuccessful.

EDIT: Note that the manage reservations screen showed both upgrades as instantly confirmable. It wasn’t a situation where the manage reservations screen was also showing waitlist only and they just happened to instantly confirm.
JMBResona likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by blahmeh14

I booked an international round trip and redeemed two upgrades during the first time this glitched. While both flights were showing PZ0, I was able to book online and then apply the upgrades after they ticketed through “manage reservations.” Neither the website nor the agents were able to tell me that PZ inventory was available on both segments (the website showed nothing for both, the agent claimed one was available but the other wasn’t), so it may be that the manage reservations screen is the only place that access to the “true” inventory during these outages. Might as well try since you can cancel within 24-hours if you are unsuccessful.
Hmm I guess I'll give it a go. Fingers crossed, and thanks for the data point!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I saw PZ>0 for FRA-ORD for March and booked and upgraded my wife on that portion. I have to wait to book my ticket through corporate TA a few days. Hopefully the same flight will still have PZ>0. ORD-FRA flight is PZ0 so have to waitlist.

PZ0 now for FRA-ORD, damn.

Last edited by CIT85; Jan 29, 2019 at 7:58 am
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
Found PZ9 for IAH-SYD, MEL-LAX yesterday and booked it. Now both are showing PN9, PZ0 but that may be the usual sensitivity to far-out bookings.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:50 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Sorry if I'm slow to this discussion. Does this un-availability glitch affect award space I / IN for business class awards? If I don't see that available on UAL.com, is this false and do I need to call in?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Marriott Platinum, MPC Green
Originally Posted by segiddins
Found PZ9 for IAH-SYD, MEL-LAX yesterday and booked it. Now both are showing PN9, PZ0 but that may be the usual sensitivity to far-out bookings.
I have the same set of flights in August. Booked last week and got IAH-SYD upgraded overnight. MEL-LAX has been sitting on PZ0. Trying MEL-LAX on a Saturday, which seems tough. What day of the week is your MEL-LAX? Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TA
Sorry if I'm slow to this discussion. Does this un-availability glitch affect award space I / IN for business class awards? If I don't see that available on UAL.com, is this false and do I need to call in?
It doesn't seem like it. In fact, people were tipped off to the issue by the anomalous PZ0 IN9 inventory on some flights.

If you're seeing IN0 I0, it's likely just the same old story -- United not releasing business class saver award space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.