Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Has UA Zeroed ALL Advance Polaris PZ Inventory?{Resolved or is it?Expert Mode error?}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has UA Zeroed ALL Advance Polaris PZ Inventory?{Resolved or is it?Expert Mode error?}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jsloan
But you're missing the point. As soon as PZ is opened, it's available to anyone. I could be shopping for a flight today, see PZ, and book directly into business without ever calling anyone or being on the waitlist in the first place.

The issue isn't one that can be solved by instructing agents not to push through upgrades -- that just makes the situation worse. The solution is to process the waitlist as soon as practical after the inventory adjustment -- seconds or minutes later, not hours or days.
Agreed.

Otherwise, we can always cancel the upgrade request, then apply GPU/RPU again if the agent refuses to push the upgrade through.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
This isnt fixed yet. LAX-PVG ORD-PVG which always has upgrades, and has not gone out in full in who knows how long, still showing PZ0 for all of april.....I didnt look other months, but yeah. UGH.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
This isnt fixed yet. LAX-PVG ORD-PVG which always has upgrades, and has not gone out in full in who knows how long, still showing PZ0 for all of april.....I didnt look other months, but yeah. UGH.
There's no such thing as a route that always has upgrade space available in advance. Are you seeing IN > 0? If so, this issue has returned. If not, it's just UA being frugal with confirmable upgrade space. That's been a constant complaint for years, but the consensus seems to be that it's gotten worse this year.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
There's no such thing as a route that always has upgrade space available in advance. Are you seeing IN > 0? If so, this issue has returned. If not, it's just UA being frugal with confirmable upgrade space. That's been a constant complaint for years, but the consensus seems to be that it's gotten worse this year.
before this PZ issue, this flight ALWAYS had upgrade space available for the last 2 years, it all went away with PZ issue. this flight is barely 75% filled anytime I have ever taken it in business. and its monthly I have taken it.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
before this PZ issue, this flight ALWAYS had upgrade space available for the last 2 years, it all went away with PZ issue. this flight is barely 75% filled anytime I have ever taken it in business. and its monthly I have taken it.
And it can always be PZ0.

Unless you see IN>0 PZ0, it's not definitive evidence of the bug.

I see PZ>0 on other Polaris flights.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K (first time)
I've tried to read up, but it's impossible to get through it all - first time poster so don't spike me too hard if I'm missing something.

FYI, I just got off the phone with the 1K desk and was told the following:

1. PN fare class is GS only, not 1K - I thought I read something in a wiki or summary that said it was 1K also.
2. There is a Feb 11 ORD-NRT with current GPU upgrade availability from economy to Polaris Business. 12:05 departure. I also confirmed it on the website (green arrow upgrade availability and PN4/PZ2/IN0/I0 availability).
3. They also told me that Haneda was a good option and to search the hub instead of NRT.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SATX78258
I've tried to read up, but it's impossible to get through it all - first time poster so don't spike me too hard if I'm missing something.

FYI, I just got off the phone with the 1K desk and was told the following:

1. PN fare class is GS only, not 1K - I thought I read something in a wiki or summary that said it was 1K also.
2. There is a Feb 11 ORD-NRT with current GPU upgrade availability from economy to Polaris Business. 12:05 departure. I also confirmed it on the website (green arrow upgrade availability and PN4/PZ2/IN0/I0 availability).
3. They also told me that Haneda was a good option and to search the hub instead of NRT.
1. Mostly true. 1Ks can only access PN with instant upgrades on Y, B, or M fares on CPU-eligible routes. More info here.

2. Yes, if that flight shows PZ2, your GPU will confirm the moment you apply it (assuming you're traveling in a party of two or one).

3. Where are you based? UA only flies to HND from SFO. If you're based in ORD or anywhere east of the Mississippi, I'd say take the confirmed ORD-NRT space, or EWR/IAH-NRT if available. EWR is guaranteed to be a Polaris hard product.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The solution is to process the waitlist as soon as practical after the inventory adjustment -- seconds or minutes later, not hours or days.
The practical solution is to babysit your waitlisted upgrades.

It's been said before - UA Mileage Plus is a game for experts. I would add that to play the game really well, in addition to having the expertise, it helps to be obsessive.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
My wish is that United would not allow folks to "jump the queue" or perhaps instruct their CS agents not to push through the UG when there people on the waitlist.
Trying to 'solve' that 'problem' by eliminating visibility of PZ (esp. for those of us who don't play the upgrade lottery) is akin to if United were to attempt to 'solve' the 'problem' that sometimes F pax don't receive their first choice of meal by reducing the number of meal choices to 0.
jsloan, findark and JMBResona like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: United 1K, (1MM), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I am not so sure it’s fixed, or maybe there’s a new reality. March 7th into heathrow from any east coast or Midwest hub is PZ=0. There is usaually some availability even with long layovers but absolutely nothing except for the day flight from ewr. Looked on multiple days before and after but nothing showing. I do this route three of four times a year and you can always find something if you are prepared to compromise.
I’ve found some discount business fares on other airlines so starting to question why I continue to make my travel decisions based on my “loyalty” to United.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Steve Kirkham
I am not so sure it’s fixed, or maybe there’s a new reality.
New reality. Looking at TPACs six weeks out (which is usually the sweet spot) I've never seen so little advance upgrade space. (But did find one SFO-TPE with PZ, so it's not the display.)
I’ve found some discount business fares on other airlines so starting to question why I continue to make my travel decisions based on my “loyalty” to United.
Bingo.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I am not so sure it’s fixed, or maybe there’s a new reality...
I personally believe United is moving to upgrades at the gate so the Polaris lounges will be less crowded. You want Polaris, you pay for Polaris. Remember when Arrivals lounges were only for paid First/Business?

As I do "play" the GPU lottery I am okay with this approach. I remember when upgrades were truly space available basis for the upgrades.

I want the lie flat seat for my red eye flights and very willing to use my GPU even if it happens at the gate.
Steve Kirkham likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not so sure it’s fixed, or maybe there’s a new reality. March 7th into heathrow from any east coast or Midwest hub is PZ=0. There is usaually some availability even with long layovers but absolutely nothing except for the day flight from ewr. Looked on multiple days before and after but nothing showing. I do this route three of four times a year and you can always find something if you are prepared to compromise.
Must admit I didn't do an exhaustive search but I found this on 3/6: (Maybe I'll buy a lottery ticket)

Hmmm, last one I promise:

Finally, not going to bother with posting a picture but on 3/6 UA880 IAH-LHR is PZ9. Being in TPA that isn't too far out of the way for you. But I would agree with your assessment if you wanted to fly out of ORD.

Last edited by TomMM; Feb 9, 2019 at 8:23 pm
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by onthesam
Trying to 'solve' that 'problem' by eliminating visibility of PZ (esp. for those of us who don't play the upgrade lottery) is akin to if United were to attempt to 'solve' the 'problem' that sometimes F pax don't receive their first choice of meal by reducing the number of meal choices to 0.
UA could fix the problem without eliminating PZ visibility. The fact they haven’t after all of these years shows that it’s not an IT priority for them. Given that changing flights online only works properly 25% of the time, multi-city tickets randomly mis-price (in my recent case, by $6000 b/c it forced full fare J/Y), and UA on any given day seems prone to HTTP500 server errors, the IT team would seem to have bigger fish to fry anyway.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by TomMM
Must admit I didn't do an exhaustive search but I found this on 3/6: (Maybe I'll buy a lottery ticket)
PZ availability on a red-eye EWR-LHR! If only that's a trip I could take!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.