Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:06 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Hot entrees? At SFO? You mean something other than soup?
The OP's question was about ORD. Not systemwide
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:39 am

Apologies in advance for a series of rookie questions that show a fundamental lack of understanding of how the system works....

I'm a United Silver hoping to re-qualify again this year, with an international address so I only need miles to qualify, I understand correctly. I have a couple of flights coming up and I'm not sure if I fully understand why I shouldn't book Basic Economy. So, do I still accrue miles for my purposes (qualifying again for silver) if I fly BE? And would I still get a checked bag as a PR Silver? So is the reason not to fly BE is that I won't be able to upgraded to Economy Plus or have an assigned seat?

I did read the page about Premier benefits but it's not clear to me if the baggage benefits they mention for Economy apply to BE as well, and the difference in price ($100) on transatlantic flights seems worth investigating.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by giblet
Apologies in advance for a series of rookie questions that show a fundamental lack of understanding of how the system works....

I'm a United Silver hoping to re-qualify again this year, with an international address so I only need miles to qualify, I understand correctly. I have a couple of flights coming up and I'm not sure if I fully understand why I shouldn't book Basic Economy. So, do I still accrue miles for my purposes (qualifying again for silver) if I fly BE? And would I still get a checked bag as a PR Silver? So is the reason not to fly BE is that I won't be able to upgraded to Economy Plus or have an assigned seat?
1. BE earns half the PQM of regular economy and half the PQS.
2. BE does not impact your checked bag situation.
3. BE gives you no leverage to SDC or change your flight in anyways.

If you are fine withi this, then feel free to book BE. But if you're a Silver, and were relying on full PQMs for a TA flight (let's say 7000 PQM RT) be aware you will earn 3500 PQM instead.

FWIW, I book BE if it's US originating ($160 difference) but will not book BE if EU-originating (80 to 90 Euro difference).
giblet likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:42 pm

Thanks, aacharya, thanks very helpful.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:06 am

I'm seeing a new option when making an app booking to select if the flight is Business or Personal.
Theres also a "Business" checkbox on the website.

What is this for, and what difference does it make?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:18 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
I'm seeing a new option when making an app booking to select if the flight is Business or Personal.
Theres also a "Business" checkbox on the website.

What is this for, and what difference does it make?
Does you employer use a corporate travel agency, like Concur?

Corporate booking option on United.com & UA App
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Does you employer use a corporate travel agency, like Concur?

Corporate booking option on United.com & UA App
They do now! We just went live with it and I connected various accounts, so it must be related to that. I'm experiencing exactly the same things people discussed in the thread you linked. Thanks
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:30 pm

I'm looking at flights from LHR to EWR at for mid-late July, and they are all pricing at around $900. Is this normal for this time of year? I've been flying that route for a lot less recently. Is it worth waiting and seeing if I can find something better, or will the prices just go up?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm looking at flights from LHR to EWR at for mid-late July, and they are all pricing at around $900. Is this normal for this time of year? I've been flying that route for a lot less recently. Is it worth waiting and seeing if I can find something better, or will the prices just go up?
One-way or round trip? Economy or basic? That is about $300 lower than I paid for UK-ORD r/t economy summer last year, but generally I'm not that familiar with the route.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:06 pm

$900 round trip TATL in economy in the summer seems pretty normal to me. Lots of variables....you could get more or less, but I think $900 is a good average. That's certainly around what I've paid the last few years.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by fumje
One-way or round trip? Economy or basic? That is about $300 lower than I paid for UK-ORD r/t economy summer last year, but generally I'm not that familiar with the route.
Round-trip in economy. I've been flying this route on United for sub-$400 a lot recently, if $900 is good/average for summer, I'll get these tickets fast.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I've been flying this route on United for sub-$400 a lot recently
That is exceptionally cheap for a TATL. You should not confuse a deep discount sale fare with regular fare pricing.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spoke too soon, they're at almost $1200 now. Gulp. When will I learn it never pays to wait?
Sorry if I cursed you. In my experience when the fare jumps like that, you may as well wait a few more days. It doesn't usually go up twice. But, f course, it may.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:43 pm

NYC-LON is in my experience often the cheapest TATL fare. $900 seems normal for summer, though you might occasionally find cheaper I'd say that's the exception. I was just looking for CHI-PAR/GVA in June/July and couldn't find anything under $1,200, finally snagged a $9xx fare on Iberia that only existed for one day that happened to be perfect timing for me.

One idea is to look at other airlines. If ST and OW are all around the same price as *A, then that's likely the "real" price. If UA is way higher than other legacy airlines, might be worth waiting to see if they come down (or book with the other airline).
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rvsjimbo
Assuming I am allowed to do that, roughly how much money would United require to book the award travel?
About $185 per passenger. Most of that is UK taxes and fees. The US departure costs only $5.60.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.