Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:55 pm

I may want to change my dates for an upcoming return trip, something I do very rarely. On the https://www.united.com/en/us/manageres/tripdetails/ page, there is a "Change Flight" option. At present I just want to see what my options are without making any commitment. If I select this option, does it in any way commit me to actually make changes?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Pete
I may want to change my dates for an upcoming return trip, something I do very rarely. On the https://www.united.com/en/us/manageres/tripdetails/ page, there is a "Change Flight" option. At present I just want to see what my options are without making any commitment. If I select this option, does it in any way commit me to actually make changes?
No, you can still back out. That button just will give you some options. It's pretty clear when you get to the point where you are actually making the change (and of course, you'll have to pay change fee / fare difference if applicable).

The change feature on the website sometimes behaves poorly, so if you're not seeing what you'd expect (i.e. the same itineraries you could buy today) you should call in too.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Pete
No
Note if a multi-person PNR, make sure all are included or the PNR will get split.

BTW, the online flight change is sometimes wonky and comes up with expensive fares -- if the fare seems out of whack, call.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:03 am

Thank you, threeoh and WineCountryUA.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:30 am

Dumb question...wanting to book family of 5 to Lihue, HI. United seems to have best deal...when I am on the page there's an offer for credit card. 25k points and $250 credit with first purchase. made me think maybe I can use the credit card to book the flight....do i need to sign up for deal first? or can i do at check out? i know there's a 60k mileage offer but no credit issued. which would be better in this situation ? or should i just not worry about it? i like the check bag and priority boarding whereas if i just book without the united card i don't get either... thanks. sorry if really dumb question. newbie. Trish
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by TnTWalter
Dumb question...wanting to book family of 5 to Lihue, HI. United seems to have best deal...when I am on the page there's an offer for credit card. 25k points and $250 credit with first purchase. made me think maybe I can use the credit card to book the flight....do i need to sign up for deal first? or can i do at check out? i know there's a 60k mileage offer but no credit issued. which would be better in this situation ? or should i just not worry about it? i like the check bag and priority boarding whereas if i just book without the united card i don't get either... thanks. sorry if really dumb question. newbie. Trish
Not at all a dumb question

There's a lot here to unpack, and it depends quite a bit on your personal preferences and the situation. A good resource to be aware of is the https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...orer-card.html thread, which has some of the best information about the card in particular. I'm not familiar with the current sign-up bonuses, but historically I would call 50k miles the minimum for a good offer, and they have ranged as high as 70k miles + $50 credit + FYF (first year free).

Whether the $250 credit is a good deal depends a lot on how you value miles. Most people on FT value them between $0.014 and $0.020 (giving a value of $490 to $700 of the miles you are missing out on for the credit), but this is heavily colored by the fact that we usually use them for premium cabin travel (e.g. I'm flying to Europe in J for 160k r/t) or in situations where, combined with our status, they offer an excellent deal for a close-in refundable ticket. If you are not in a situation where you can accumulate a lot of United miles and/or make status on United, the value of miles to you may be far less - and the $250 credit is a sure thing today whereas miles are a depreciating currency that doesn't earn interest.

I'm not 100% sure, but you should be able to click through the ad in a way which allows you to claim the credit against your current purchase if you are approved.
abaheti likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:33 pm

i like the check bag and priority boarding whereas if i just book without the united card i don't get either... thanks. sorry if really dumb question. newbie. Trish
Assuming you get the card before you fly, you'll still get priority boarding (BG2). It says you need to pay with the card, but you don't.

However, to get the checked bag benefit you do need to make the purchase with the card.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:54 pm

Thanks for answering.

I think for me the best would be to be able to get the $250 credit so the airfare doesn't hurt as much. I would want to count the airfare as my qualifying purchase [>$2k]....
I'm just now sure if it's instantaneous which would defeat the purpose of going with that deal if that makes sense.

I hate to apply to find out I can't use on airfare purchase today...
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Thanks for answering.

I think for me the best would be to be able to get the $250 credit so the airfare doesn't hurt as much. I would want to count the airfare as my qualifying purchase [>$2k]....
I'm just now sure if it's instantaneous which would defeat the purpose of going with that deal if that makes sense.

I hate to apply to find out I can't use on airfare purchase today...
Given the wording of the ad ("your purchase with credit") I'm 90% sure you can charge the flight to your new card, but someone with more recent experience can confirm.
Old May 2, 2019, 6:21 am

Do you earn the same PQMs when booking a flight using miles?

This is a very simple question that I should know, but I’m in a situation where I will have far more spend for platinum than necessary but short on miles. I also have about 400k award miles so (if I get pqms on mileage flights, could easily utilize these)

Last edited by cpmac; May 2, 2019 at 6:27 am
Old May 2, 2019, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cpmac
This is a very simple question that I should know, but I’m in a situation where I will have far more spend for platinum than necessary but short on miles. I also have about 400k award miles so (if I get pqms on mileage flights, could easily utilize these)
No. Award flights earn neither award miles nor status credit.
Old May 4, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Looking to book 4 tickets in and out of DEN-LHR-DEN. I have enough points for the return flights, but not the outbound. From what I see, they have to be two different itins because of points and dollars.

DEN-LHR-DEN is about $1500 RT.
DEN-LHR one way is no economy, only flex econ, and is $2000+ for the one way.

So instead of doing all four people on one leg with miles, do I do two people both ways with miles and two people on separate itin with dollars.

I'm Plat and the rest of the fam is GM. Wife and 14 &12 YO kids.

Who to put on the itin with me?
If I'm going to pay for a ticket, I want the PQM and PQDs, can I get the fam tickets with miles if I'm not on the itin.

If we are on different Itins, will I be able to get the free bags at check in?
If they aren't on my itin, they won't get E+ free since they are GMs, correct.

I'm thinking of just buying tickets and having it so that I have enough miles to buy all four, all legs next year. I'll be 1K and have GPUs, which if I have a Chase UA card, will have award base tickets be upgradable, correct?
Old May 4, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PushingTin
So instead of doing all four people on one leg with miles, do I do two people both ways with miles and two people on separate itin with dollars.
Yes.

Who to put on the itin with me?
One of your kids. That way, neither appears as an unaccompanied minor in UA's system.

If I'm going to pay for a ticket, I want the PQM and PQDs, can I get the fam tickets with miles if I'm not on the itin.
Yes.

If we are on different Itins, will I be able to get the free bags at check in?
YMMV. Assume you won't -- then, the award ticket luggage allowance is one bag (at 50 lbs) per passenger. How many will you need? You and the child on your reservation will each get 3x70 lbs, so that's 6x70lbs + 2x50 lbs = 520lbs total of luggage across 8 pieces.

If they aren't on my itin, they won't get E+ free since they are GMs, correct.
You can call and get everyone seated together, assuming the paid tickets aren't basic economy.

I'm thinking of just buying tickets and having it so that I have enough miles to buy all four, all legs next year. I'll be 1K and have GPUs, which if I have a Chase UA card, will have award base tickets be upgradable, correct?
No, you will not be able to upgrade award tickets with a GPU even though you have a Chase UA card. That benefit only applies to CPUs. Only GS GPUs can upgrade award tickets.

I would not recommend this approach. With the coming devaluation, there's literally no limit to what UA may decide to charge for award tickets next summer. You may find that you've saved all year and still don't have enough. A bird in the hand, and all that.
PushingTin likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Thanks. I don't like to keep a lot of points around, I do burn them, and I agree on devaluation- especially on things like TATL direct flights. They already cost double what the connection flights do.

YMMV. Assume you won't -- then, the award ticket luggage allowance is one bag (at 50 lbs) per passenger. How many will you need? You and the child on your reservation will each get 3x70 lbs, so that's 6x70lbs + 2x50 lbs = 520lbs total of luggage across 8 pieces.
Who knows with my wife, It gets utterly ridiculous, beyond worthy of joking. She wants to do a trip will all kinds of transfers and movement, when we have to have an Explorer or larger for our
bags. I do the EU for 2.5 weeks with legit LH sized carry-on only.

Thanks for the insights.

Question: As a Plat, I can book and change or cancel award travel anytime, right?
Old May 4, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who knows with my wife, It gets utterly ridiculous, beyond worthy of joking. She wants to do a trip will all kinds of transfers and movement, when we have to have an Explorer or larger for our
bags. I do the EU for 2.5 weeks with legit LH sized carry-on only.
8 bags is a lot even for an Explorer (plus four carry-ons, so 12). The problem here is that it's going to be up to the check-in agent in each case whether they want to extend that benefit or not. If you do think it's likely that you'll need more bags, you're going to be risking having to pay $100 each for each award passenger's second bag and $200 each for their third, in each direction. Honestly, if you need 12 bags plus 4 carry-ons, your plan of buying the tickets this year and using points next year might make sense.

Question: As a Plat, I can book and change or cancel award travel anytime, right?
For a Plat, there is no fee to cancel award travel 61+ days prior to departure. Within 60 days, the cancellation fee is $50 per person. There are no last-minute booking fees, though. Of course, the award seats you want could disappear if you wait to book...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.