Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Daneel
- Is free first checked bag based on my Mileageplus status at the time of booking or travel? I expect my status to expire before I travel, perhaps dropping down to just "member"
- The T&Cs I can find appear to indicate that the free checked bag applies only to flights operated by United, yet the information in my account currently is in conflict with that, suggesting I do have a free checked bag even though the fight is operated by Air Canada.
- Any differences in application to my mother who has no status with either United or Air Canada?

Thanks!
The last I checked, Air Canada award tickets were still being treated as "Flex," meaning that they get one bag free regardless of status. You should probably follow up on their forum though.

Originally Posted by dalameda
Has united done away with its saver availability in advance of changing to a dynamic award pricing? i am trying to book award tickets for 4 in J for March 28, 2020 SFO IAD (nothing like planning ahead) but see nothing. Do they release saver closer to the flight or am I just SOL.
There's a good chance that they will never release four J tickets on the same flight for SFO-IAD. Those cabins tend to fill up with paid customers. This isn't really new, or related to the dynamic pricing -- you would have had a hard time for March 28, 2019, or 2018, or 2017...

Originally Posted by SLINKYTRAVEL
Good afternoon all! Quick question: if I cancel a United award does it 1) auto kick back to inventory 2) delayed kick back to inventory 3) sometimes it never shows up again....my predicament: i needed to book a United Polaris flight with an infant ticket and made a rookie infant booking mistake of sending my Amex points to Lifemiles ( infant is 10% of fare) to book the adult flight instead of AirCanada (only a flat 10k or $100 fee)...current business class fare for flight is a tad under $10,000!! I am still within the 24hr cancelation bubble/booking window...thank you!
Sadly, the answer is #3 . It may or may not ever come back.
Old May 30, 2019, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jsloan
There's a good chance that they will never release four J tickets on the same flight for SFO-IAD.
These days, it's rare for United to release even one J seat on a domestic itinerary.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Sorry, been offline a while working on a house. Those fare codes came from the UA website.

You used nautical miles instead of statute miles, so the values are all low. The multipliers seem correct if the NZ tickets actually booked into UA J. (I'm surprised that would have been the case). Z is a discount business fare class on NZ just like it is on UA.

Of course, only the UA PQM will generally qualify for a status match, but I think you know that.

PS: I should clarify -- when you list these fare classes, what's your source? And, if it's the NZ receipt, are they using UA or NZ flight numbers? This makes a big difference. If your outbound is UA flight numbers -- UA J class -- you're going to get 300%. If it's a NZ flight number, you're going to get 150-200%, depending upon the UA fare class that NZ J maps to.
Thanks for the clarifying questions and for pointing out S vs NM, didn't realize they used SM to calculate distances. Yes, I know the NZ flights won't count for status match, but they will count for making 1K for next year, right?

All fare details are from the UA website, flight numbers are:

ORD-SFO UA248, J
SFO- SYD UA863, J
SYD-AKL NZ104, Z
AKL-SFO NZ8, Z
SFO-ORD UA1140, Z

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 1, 2019 at 11:30 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ChuckieB
I know the NZ flights won't count for status match, but they will count for making 1K for next year, right?
Yes, they will. (And to convert nm to sm, just multiple by 1.15.)
ChuckieB likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
There's a good chance that they will never release four J tickets on the same flight for SFO-IAD. Those cabins tend to fill up with paid customers. This isn't really new, or related to the dynamic pricing -- you would have had a hard time for March 28, 2019, or 2018, or 2017...

...It may or may not ever come back.
1) It's (at least virtually) impossible on all airlines to book two Business or First Class award tickets on the same PNR. They believe it's too big a risk to them. Sometimes a workaround is to make multiple separate reservations, but then there's the obvious risk to the passengers of being seated separately, and the much larger risk of different passengers being treated - very - differently in IRROPS.
2) To jsloan, isn't it fairly easy to remedy this with a CR human?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChuckieB
ORD-SFO UA248, J
SFO- SYD UA863, J
SYD-AKL NZ104, Z
AKL-SFO NZ8, Z
SFO-ORD UA1140, Z
OK; in that case, you’ve got the multipliers correct.

Originally Posted by Firewind
1) It's (at least virtually) impossible on all airlines to book two Business or First Class award tickets on the same PNR. They believe it's too big a risk to them. Sometimes a workaround is to make multiple separate reservations, but then there's the obvious risk to the passengers of being seated separately, and the much larger risk of different passengers being treated - very - differently in IRROPS.
2) To jsloan, isn't it fairly easy to remedy this with a CR human?
I don’t think it has anything to do with risk; it’s merely a matter of inventory. There are some airlines and some routes where it’s easy to book multiple award tickets. However, hub-to-hub on UA isn’t one of them. UA does not have a policy of releasing Saver award space on every flight.
As for your second point — UA reps can hold UA space. However, in this case, the question was about cancelling a UA award ticket booked with one partner airline and rebooking with another. In that scenario, you’re going to have to rely on the inventory as seen by the computer.
ChuckieB likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Firewind
1) It's (at least virtually) impossible on all airlines to book two Business or First Class award tickets on the same PNR.
That's 100% incorrect. If an airline (e.g., UA) releases two or more seats, they can be booked on a single PNR.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:44 pm
FTA

Do any of the lounges at O'hare have more than just snacks? Any with sandwiches? Even international reward business tickets get free lounge access correct? Thank you
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by FTA
Even international reward business tickets get free lounge access correct?
Yes.
FTA likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FTA
Do any of the lounges at O'hare have more than just snacks? Any with sandwiches? Even reward business tickets get free lounge access correct? Thank you
Yes
The UCs have hot "entrees" for breakfast and dinner, soup/salads most of the dinner -- without status or membership - departing international business qualifies or arriving/connecting UA international business. Not domestic

The Polaris Lounge -- for departing International Business (but not AC) or departing / arriving / connecting Polaris class tickets.

What is your business class award ticket -- carrier and routing?
FTA likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:10 pm
FTA

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge -- for departing International Business (but not AC) or departing / arriving / connecting Polaris class tickets.

What is your business class award ticket -- carrier and routing?
I just have the Explorers card so I don't qualify for the Polaris lounge correct? Haven't booked the ticket yet but will be flying direct from the US to PEK on United
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FTA
I just have the Explorers card so I don't qualify for the Polaris lounge correct? ...
Nope, no UC either
Originally Posted by FTA
Haven't booked the ticket yet but will be flying direct from the US to PEK on United
If in Polaris Business, you would have Polaris Lounge access
Polaris lounge has hot buffet and seatdown service with a small menu.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:23 pm
FTA

Nope, no UC either
I know the Explorer card won't give me lounge access but the reward business ticket would right?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by FTA
I know the Explorer card won't give me lounge access but the reward business ticket would right?
Yes a Polaris Cabin (which is ORD-PEK business would be) UA reward ticket has Polaris Lounge access (or UC)
FTA likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:03 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes
The UCs have hot "entrees" for breakfast and dinner, soup/salads most of the dinner
Hot entrees? At SFO? You mean something other than soup?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.