Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
I wish I could say I'm surprised at the pushback that you got, but I'm not.

UA has a full set of interline agreements with Cathay Dragon (KA) -- ticketing, e-ticketing, and baggage.

Best of luck when you get to HKG.
Not surprised the CSR and the Supervisor lied then or were just idiots. I gave them the flight code and everything and they're like we don't have one with Hong Kong Dragon and I'm like it's Cathy Dragon. Grrr, just awful. I submitted a DOT complaint even if it doesn't go anywhere.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by psychoidiot
Not surprised the CSR and the Supervisor lied then or were just idiots. I gave them the flight code and everything and they're like we don't have one with Hong Kong Dragon and I'm like it's Cathy Dragon. Grrr, just awful. I submitted a DOT complaint even if it doesn't go anywhere.
Not an excuse, but this is pretty common across the board when you're flying on an award ticket - not just UA. It costs money to put you on an OAL and the frontline staff is basically told not to do it.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT

It will be prorated, with some bit of the fare assigned to each leg. It’s roughly based upon distance, but there are no real guarantees. UA will provide you a breakdown, but it’s sometimes wrong.

Yes, except on the most-expensive P+ fares (O class).
I'm in the blackbox camp for assignment of PQD.... $120 assigned to the transatlantic return section of this ticket from last week:

TXL- EWR PQM 7,960 PQS 1.5 PQD $3,671 Award Miles 40,381

EWR – TXL PQM 7,960 PQS 1.5 PQD $120 Award Miles 1,320

TXL – MUC PQM 1,000 PQS 1.5 PQD $251 Award Miles 2,761
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
Is Gold status able to upgrade a purchased basic economy seat(s) to econ plus?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mycle
Is Gold status able to upgrade a purchased basic economy seat(s) to econ plus?
No. You may get E+ by chance, but it's not guaranteed and can't be selected.
mycle likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:08 pm

Maintain premier status

If I get silver status in December, what is the minimum (pqm/pqd) required for me to accumulate to maintain it for the following year?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Aglass2
If I get silver status in December, what is the minimum (pqm/pqd) required for me to accumulate to maintain it for the following year?
If you earn Silver in December, that will be your status for the next 14 months. If you want to keep Silver status beyond that you have January to December to achieve 25,000 PQMs (or 25 PQS) , $3,000 PQDs (unless you have waiver) and 4 segments on UA (unless you have a waiver)

Earned status is good for the next year and the January after that.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
UAL Award Flights to Italy - Spring 2020

Planning a trip next March / April to Italy - from ORD to Rome and returning from Florence (or vice versa) on UAL. Ideally using miles to fly Business Class. I'm seeing Business Saver awards on United.com on TAP Portugal, connecting through Lisbon. Is this a "good" deal I should jump on, or is it best to wait for something better to come along since I have a little time? Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Shamrock16
Planning a trip next March / April to Italy - from ORD to Rome and returning from Florence (or vice versa) on UAL. Ideally using miles to fly Business Class. I'm seeing Business Saver awards on United.com on TAP Portugal, connecting through Lisbon. Is this a "good" deal I should jump on, or is it best to wait for something better to come along since I have a little time? Thanks in advance!
If you find the routing and timing to be favorable, I would take it now. The TP space has been floating around for a while and one could argue that LX or OS are "better" candidates for the miles, but something about a bird in the hand...
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium
Not sure if all these details are needed for the answer, but I booked an award ticket for me, wife, and 5 year old son from IAH-CUN. The only place where two seats were available together (so one of us can sit next to the 5 year old) were in the exit rows. Obviously, a 5 year old in the exit row isn't going to work. Should I try to fix this at the gate, on the plane, or ahead of time. I asked an rep at a united club and she didn't really have any solution.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lawyerneering
Should I try to fix this at the gate, on the plane, or ahead of time.
All of the above. Monitor the seat map and look for seats that you can swap; if you don't find any, ask the gate agent, and if nothing's available, swap on the plane. You shouldn't have much difficulty finding someone willing to swap into the exit row.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA
Extra Capacity for MLB All-Star events

not sure if this is right place for this but here it goes: does UA add additional capacity or special point-to-point flights to/from CLE for the upcoming MLB All Star game and weekend?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: mileage plus
hi guys - 1k here and i'm a bit confused on "base award miles," "premier bonus miles" and "total miles earned" for my 11x multiplier that I would receive based on status.

i see this image for my mileage earning on a fare that costs $1,083. can someone explain what the 7029 base award miles means in calculating the total miles earned for the trip? Or if it is irrelevant and I should only focus on the fare (1083) to use the 11x multiplier for my award miles?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kerry Kittles
i see this image for my mileage earning on a fare that costs $1,083. can someone explain what the 7029 base award miles means in calculating the total miles earned for the trip? Or if it is irrelevant and I should only focus on the fare (1083) to use the 11x multiplier for my award miles?
Taxes and fees don’t earn miles, but that number still looks low. The 7029 is the number of miles you’d earn on the 639 PQD it’s listing. Is this part of a larger trip or a standalone ticket?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: mileage plus

Taxes and fees don’t earn miles, but that number still looks low. The 7029 is the number of miles you’d earn on the 639 PQD it’s listing. Is this part of a larger trip or a standalone ticket?
Ah okay - understood. That explains the 11x(pqd)=7029. It's the first leg of a RT with the inbound being in normal economy. So if I understand this correctly, 7029 award miles is what I will earn from this leg and the 11x multiplier has already been reflected in the "base award miles" shown below?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.